Claims management company (CMC) complaints - ask the ombudsman your question

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    someone I work with had had success in claiming PPI with the same company. Luckily for her she has had monies refunded due to the PPI company,
    Do realise that it was due to her being mis-sold PPI that she was refunded; the Claim Company are incidental to that.

The PPI complaint process is simple and FREE, you have basically paid £495 for someone to do something you could easily do yourself for the price of a stamp.

Name and shame this firm

Did you actually have any PPI?
  • Legal_Ombudsman
    Legal_Ombudsman Posts: 79 Organisation Representative
    Hi, I instructed a PPI firm to look at the possibility of being owed PPI monies and on instruction they advised that they are regulated and cannot make someone worse off (money wise) and have to either make someone better off financially or in the same situation (and not to be worse off). This procedure was started in October last year and I paid them a fee of £495. I do not think they are going to be able to gain any PPI and I want my fee refunded. To date they have ignored my request. Any advice would be gratefully received - or advise on who would I need to contact for them to take up this matter on my behalf. Thank you.

[FONT=&quot]Hello,[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]This sounds like a complaint we could help you with, but we would need some more details in order to advise you further. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Please give us a call on 0300 555 0333 (option 1) and we would be happy to discuss this with you.[/FONT]
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
  • pwgun
    pwgun Posts: 7 Forumite
    Hi,
    I had asked Nationwide weather I had had any account that I had been paying ppi over the past years, they replied no.
    I then used a cmc to find out if I had payed anywhere, and to my surprise it has come back that I was paying ppi to nationwide with my mortgage. if this is correct and I get back my compensation I am now going to pay 30%+vat to the cmc, which I know is correct, but had nationwide told me when I asked I would not be paying this.

Also, some 25+ years ago on a holiday to kos, we were redirected to corfu, where we spend most of the night in an airport, only to then be transferred to a marina(luggage moved via a dump truck) and taken to kos by boat, almost a 24hr delay. is this claimable or is it too long ago, and would I be able to trace this event as I don't recall exact detail.. thank you
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,051
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I then used a cmc to find out if I had payed anywhere, and to my surprise it has come back that I was paying ppi to nationwide with my mortgage. if this is correct and I get back my compensation I am now going to pay 30%+vat to the cmc, which I know is correct, but had nationwide told me when I asked I would not be paying this.

Loan and credit card PPI is easily found on their computer systems. MPPI is a standalone product not built into the mortgage. So, it may not be as easily seen to them.

There are no circumstances that require the bank to pay for your decision to use a claims company. The complaints process if free of charge to use.
    Also, some 25+ years ago on a holiday to kos, we were redirected to corfu, where we spend most of the night in an airport, only to then be transferred to a marina(luggage moved via a dump truck) and taken to kos by boat, almost a 24hr delay. is this claimable or is it too long ago, and would I be able to trace this event as I don't recall exact detail.. thank you

Far too late.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • pwgun
    pwgun Posts: 7 Forumite
    Thankyou for the good advise.
  • Please can you advise me if I can claim ppi from bright house as I've heard it's very difficult
  • Legal_Ombudsman
    Legal_Ombudsman Posts: 79 Organisation Representative
    [FONT=&quot]JAS Financial Advisory Services Limited, trading as Litchfield Price, Hampton Rae and NLC Solutions[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Office for Legal Complaints Board have decided that it is in the public interest to publish details of a series of decisions relating to JAS Financial Advisory Services Ltd (JAS) in line with our Category 1 Publishing Policy and Criteria.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Between 1 January and 30 June 2016 we accepted 92 complaints about JAS for investigation. We have been advised by a number of complainants that, in the initial sales call, JAS told them that their claims would be resolved quickly, and that the upfront fee was refundable in the event that all claims were ultimately unsuccessful.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Upon reviewing the ombudsman decisions made, and cases we are currently accepting, there are several key trends:[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]JAS are taking upfront fees, but failing to adequately progress claims; and[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]JAS are failing to keep customers updated as to the progress of their claims.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Furthermore, we have seen a pattern of behaviour which shows that JAS are failing to respond to consumers’ complaints within an eight week period. Additionally, they are failing to comply with all of our requests for information. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Information for consumers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot] If you have already made a complaint about JAS Financial Advisory Services Limited to the Legal Ombudsman we will continue to investigate the case as usual.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]If you haven’t complained to the Legal Ombudsman but would like to, please read our Making a Complaint section on the website to find out what steps to take. Please note, you must ensure that you’ve made a complaint to the service provider first and given them 8 weeks to respond.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    For more information about this Category 1 Decision, please click here.[/FONT]
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Oh look JAS Financial Advisory Services is based in Scamsea and under investigation by the Claims Regulator.
  • supaleeds
    supaleeds Posts: 11 Forumite
    Hi. Some advice please if anyone can give me some!
    I made an unsuccessful claim for PPI back in 2012. I went to the Ombudsman but because it was a store card taken out in the 1980's they said that they were unable to help.
    I was then approached by a CMC who offered to run a check on whether or not I had PPI in the past and this same store card re-appeared. I let them make an application on my behalf and last month was told by the CMC and the store card provider that I had been unsuccessful again. They urged me to go to the Ombudsman and I duly completed all the forms. I then received a letter from the claims company telling me that as I had applied previously in 2012 they couldn't refer it to the ombudsman as this had to be done within 6 months of the original claim being made.
    I then wrote direct to the store card company explaining the reasons yet again as to why I believed that I had been mis-sold this PPI and challenged the reasons they had given for rejecting the claim.
    To my absolute astonishment they have now up held my complaint and have offered me just short of £6,000.

My question to you is - On the basis that the CMC have written to me to say that the claim can not be referred to the ombudsman and that there is basically no more they can do - Will they still be entitled to their share? Could I argue that had I not written independently to the company challenging their decision they would not have made me this offer and therefore neither of us would have got anything?
    I only used the CMC in the first place because I knew I had previously applied and got nowhere. I do accept that it is unlikely that I would have gone through the motions of re-applying to the same company given the previous outcome.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • Hello my name is derek. After being bombarded with cold calls from a ppi claims company about ppi i decided to give in and let them check this out on my behalf. It is a company called the claims guys. On one claim they recovered a amout £164.98 and the second claim they recovered a total of. Just over £2500 which i thought was fantastic until i recieved letters for a charge for reclaiming these amouts i expected to pay some charge but i was not told that they wanted 30% of each claim for the amount of £164.98 they want £59.38 of that claim and the claim for £2500 they want a total of £921 i find these charges far to high and i was not informed of these charges until i recieved my payouts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure