housing

Please can you tell me how many night per week you are allowed to stay away from your property for hb purposes. with thanks.

Comments

• If you are regularly away from home the LA would look at if the house is your main residence or not - however they will consider several factors, it is not as simple as you having to be there x nights a week.
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    No longer than 13 weeks at one stretch IIRC.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • No longer than 13 weeks at one stretch IIRC.

Yes, that is correct, however the OP appears to be talking about repeatedly being away for several nights a week, which could equally fall foul of the rules. If not we could all claim for holiday homes! ;)
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    brambram wrote: »
    Please can you tell me how many night per week you are allowed to stay away from your property for hb purposes. with thanks.
    According to Shelter 13 weeks maybe 52 weeks.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/paying_for_a_home/housing_benefit_and_local_housing_allowance/housing_benefit_while_away_from_home
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • brambram
    brambram Posts: 183 Forumite
    thankyou, Yes I wondered though if the 13 weeks were being split between 52 weeks of the year giving a total of so many days per week?
  • brambram wrote: »
    thankyou, Yes I wondered though if the 13 weeks were being split between 52 weeks of the year giving a total of so many days per week?

No, it does not work like that. It might help if you gave us more information, are you away for work, living with someone else etc?
  • brambram
    brambram Posts: 183 Forumite
    hi and thanks again
    its difficult to explain can you tell me if there are any rules similarly for someone on CTB simgle person discount, its some one with MHP staying with a single person for periods of time due to anxiety.
  • brambram wrote: »
    hi and thanks again
    its difficult to explain can you tell me if there are any rules similarly for someone on CTB simgle person discount, its some one with MHP staying with a single person for periods of time due to anxiety.

If you are staying with someone as a carer, you would not affect their entitlement to benefits, however that would normally need to be a defined role i.e. you received Carers Allowance or the individual had quite significant care needs which could be verified by their GP.

From what you have said I would advise you to contact the local authority and explain the situation - if you need to, you can ask for them to visit you at home. It is best to establish what the situation is now rather than they approach you at a later stage.
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    brambram wrote: »

Dear BramBram

Housing benefit while away from home may be payable for up to 13 weeks so long as you intend to return home.
    You can get housing benefit if you are away from home for up to 13 weeks, as long as you intend to come back to your home and you are not likely to be away any longer. If you return to your home, maybe even for a day and then go away again, the 13 week period could start afresh.
    http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/paying_for_a_home/housing_benefit_and_local_housing_allowance/housing_benefit_while_away_from_home#0

:cool:
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • If you return to your home, maybe even for a day and then go away again, the 13 week period could start afresh.

Or it *could* be seen that the claimant is trying to circumvent the rules. The OP really needs to speak to the LA about their situation - they are allowed to stay elsewhere for reason of care needs, but it would be ill advised to do it without the LA being aware, as it would be difficult to prove the reason for the absence in retrospect.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure