PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

concerns about houseprices/mortgages

Comments

• Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    if you've bought and prices drop you will only be in trouble if you decide to sell. If you already have the mortgage and have a house that fitted your circumstances(and what you perceive as forseeable circumstances for the next few years) falling house prices should make no odds. The only factor is that interest rates could go higher so once you come out of 5 years fixed there may be an increase in your monthly payment, in which case you could re-extend the term to 25 years, plus the outstanding mortgage will be less than now(and if you ever get a chance to overpay) even more so.

5 years is a long way for crystal balls to predict interest rates though, nobody can or would like to predict what rates will be I'm guessing
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I wasn't on the attack. You gave us the information that you were a FTB who isn't sure about the property market. Generally the political vibes show nothing exciting to cause much movement in house prices at all, you've only shown me two options and without the benefit of knowing your mind, I'm simply stating the obvious and providing another angle, for the benefit of clarity. I've also responded to why your scenario 2 is unlikely to happen in the near future.

Worst case scenario for you is that after 5 years on a low rate of interest, rates have increased to hellish levels when you come out of that deal that you simply can't afford to pay and are forced to sell and rent again. Otherwise, more likely, you can just about afford repayments because your wages have gone up too in that time so it doesn't really matter that your house is worth less than you paid for it because you can still fit your family in. Wait another 5 years and it's shot up in value again.

No one knows. It's the risk that millions of us take; some of us lose the game and maybe climb back up on the horse, but most of us end up with a house that we own at the end of 25 years that is worth far, far more than we paid for it and a future where we no longer worry about the repayments or keeping a roof over our heads.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • The repayments on this are £50 more than my monthly rent, so its affordable for us but are there any traps or silly mistakes we could make?

Going for a fix rate that you can afford sounds like a sensible choice to me, but bear in mind that you'll be responsible for any repairs the house might need, so make sure that on your second visit you test appliances, gas central heating, check out the roof, fireplaces, guttering etc. before you purchase your property. Surveys don't usually test these things and if your luck is as bad as mine, you'll end up having to carry out repairs as soon as you set foot in it, which is the last thing you need!
  • Lets just say, we bought our house 12 years ago, the same time you have been renting. we now have over a hundred grand in equity on our house. What have you got for your rent money? Buy now just in case things turn out unexpected and prices rise you out of the market, then once you buy even if prices go down, you can sit in your house until prices go up again! the thing that should concern you more than price hikes is interest rate hikes. Make sure that if they go up you can still make the payments.
  • so I have a question which may sound daft... but how are the interest rates at the moment? In historical terms, are they high or low or average? Should we expect that - in normal situations - interest rates will go up or down in the near future?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    That why i was asking only about price drops. I have a family and with that comes the respnsibility of being sensible about money. Id hate to make a bad investment and find out that in a few years time i am in trouble like i hear some are or will be in if house prices drop.

Buying to nest is never a bad investment. Buy for long term and you wont lose.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    so I have a question which may sound daft... but how are the interest rates at the moment? In historical terms, are they high or low or average? Should we expect that - in normal situations - interest rates will go up or down in the near future?

They're historically low. Partly to blame for the massive price rises we've seen as borrowing is cheap.

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/financial/base-rates.html

The plan is to keep them low to (maybe) get them in line with the EU thingy which is about 2% lower I think. (Definately not an economist, me!)
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Hi all, i'm a FTB and have been researching property in my area.
    Whilst we are able to buy now, we are trying to decide how house prices may change over the year.

The mortgage we have been offered is fixed 5 yr at approx 4.99% and about 3.5 times our wages.

I'm new to property so have no idea about buying now or waiting, can someone outline the pitfalls of waiting i.e if house prices fall by 40% there will be more buyers and less houses (is this correct)
    Also will the banks be likely to either cut multiples or raise their interest rates to make it harder for first time buyers to get on the ladder?

In short what I am getting at is with the mortgage details above, if house prices dropped by 40% would this type of offer still be available and would the banks tighten their criteria?

Thanx in advance

The best advice I can give is that you do your own home work and make your decision based on what you feel comfortable with.

You'll find that there are 2 distinct camps on these future house price threads.

FTB'ers who are desperate for prices to come back to normal levels and those who stand to take a hit on their investments if prices fall.

Don't take any notice of the "Get in now or you'll miss the boat" argument or the "House prices are going to crash" argument.

These are the 2 extremes of the debate and entirely related to what people want / need to happen to the market.
  • are the rates likely to increase much in 2 years? The link recommends getting a long term fixed rate mortgage as interest rates are historically very low...
  • KK
    KK Posts: 212 Forumite
    14 years ago my husband and I bought a flat in London, which in 4.5 years went up by 10K (seems like nothing now!) and we were paying 12% interest on a fixed rate. But it had only been a few years before that rates were as high as 16%. It's advisable to borrow enough so that you can absorb a rise in interest rates (say 2%) but it's a good idea to fix for 5 years if you think the rate is good. It's impossible to predict what rates will do, but I am now fixed at 5% so my mortage now is less than it was 14 years ago on a house in Surrey which is worth 300K! Our house went up by 100% in a matter of a couple of years after we bought it which wasn't predictable and we had fixed the rate (can't remember the rate but maybe around 7% nearly 10 years ago). In 5 years time hopefully you will be earning more money - my husband and I are both earning about what we were 8 years ago so that isn't guaranteed either.

We have been lucky in property over the years, but haven't ever stretched ourselves too much and have done a lot of work on the properties ourselves. A fixed rate gives you peace of mind and a predictable monthly amount over that period of time. A repayment mortgage will mean that each month you are paying off some of the capital and that gives great peace of mind. Over say 10 years, what at first seems like a large amount to pay out may well be easily affordable 10 years later. When I went to university, my tiny 1 room in a shared house cost more each month than my parent's mortgage on a large house which my mum thought was hilarious.

Property maintenance is a big consideration and decorating can cost loads. A landlord can get the boiler or cooker fixed on a rented place but when you own your own place it's up to you to pay out.

My advice would be to maybe put aside a little money each month for a 'house fund' to use for emergency repairs, decorating, new furniture whatever you wish which isn't to be touched for other spending. My husband and I nearly had a heart attack when we had to put a new roof on our flat in London. The girl who lived upstairs had had problems with the roof leaking for ages and our surveyor couldn't access the roof to check it's condition, so we didn't know. It was a real blow to us, especially as she wanted to get it sorted quickly and had booked the roofers! We managed in the end, but it was a real education. Make sure you know the pitfalls of your new property and any expenditure likely to be needed. We have also always had problems with boilers needing repair too - very expensive!

Good luck, but remember the longer you leave it, the harder it will be to make the decision. A house is your home, not an investment as such, but with luck it will be.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure