How long should I wait?

Hi,

I'm a prospective new stoozer. However, I've recently moved and got a mortgage. I've read on stoozing.com that this will make it difficult to gain credit.

How long should I wait before applying for a Virgin credit card?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Clariman
    Clariman Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,

I'm a prospective new stoozer. However, I've recently moved and got a mortgage. I've read on stoozing.com that this will make it difficult to gain credit.

How long should I wait before applying for a Virgin credit card?

Any advice appreciated.

Whereabouts did you read that on the site - in the site's own content or in the forums ? I wrote the main stoozing guide and don't recall saying precisely that but it may be broadly true. The stoozing guide certainly says that it is adviseable to stop stoozing if you are about to apply for a mortgage because your stoozing debts may mean that you get a lower mortgage offer.

Looking at it the other way round. Probably the main effect of moving and taking on a mortgage is that you won't be on the voters' roll yet at the new address and seeing your name on the voters' roll at the address you say you are living at is one of the things that make lenders feel more confident that you are who you say you are. So, ensure that you get on the voters' roll ASAP.

Of course, if your new mortgage has significantly added to your debt, then future lenders will see that. It may not stop them lending to you depending on how good you credit record was in the first place and what income etc you have.

Clariman
    Author of the first Stoozing FAQ on the Internet and Creator of the SOA & Snowball calculators at Lemonfool.co.uk
  • Hi Clariman,

It makes the statement at the of the bottom of the following page: http://www.stoozing.com/cra.htm

It's a good point that you make about the electoral register, but usually I wait for the council to send the relevant forms around the time of the local/general elections; do you know if there's a particular department you write to if you want to sort it out earlier?
  • HelenR_3
    HelenR_3 Posts: 193 Forumite
    Hi Clariman,

It makes the statement at the of the bottom of the following page: http://www.stoozing.com/cra.htm

It's a good point that you make about the electoral register, but usually I wait for the council to send the relevant forms around the time of the local/general elections; do you know if there's a particular department you write to if you want to sort it out earlier?

Hi

Go to your relevant local councils website , there will be a contact number for their electorol dept on there , were in bedfordshire and there is a dedicated dept for it , i think they will onlt take new registraitions at certain times of the year tho so youll have to check

H
    x
    Keep on keeping on... :beer:
  • Clariman
    Clariman Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Clariman,

Ah I see the bit you mean. Stooz wrote that bit which is why it did not immediately come in to my mind. I think that he may have slightly overstated it. As I said, a future lender would see your mortgage and, if it has increased, then they will take it into account when making a lending decision. The electoral roll is probably more of a concern. There is a website where you can register online although it may not get processed immediately. More info available from here
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/Diol1/DoItOnline/DoItOnlineArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4017686&chk=uSJXFE

Clariman
    Author of the first Stoozing FAQ on the Internet and Creator of the SOA & Snowball calculators at Lemonfool.co.uk
  • HelenR wrote:
    Hi

Go to your relevant local councils website , there will be a contact number for their electorol dept on there , were in bedfordshire and there is a dedicated dept for it , i think they will onlt take new registraitions at certain times of the year tho so youll have to check

H
    x

Thanks Helen,

I've found an email address for the electoral register office on my local council (Solihull) website and sent them an email asking them what to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure