Police Officer- English qualification

124»

Comments

• Smodlet wrote: »
    I think the point has been well made by several posters, JReacher. A single comma can completely transform the meaning of a sentence.

As far as I am aware, police officers still refer to their hand written notebooks when giving evidence in court. Failure to communicate effectively could lead to a miscarriage of justice. Even if rectified the very next day, how do give someone back time spent in a cell when they are innocent?

Pocket notebooks are personal to the officer. They can be short hand, sribbles, whatever as long as they can make sense of the notebook, someone else can roughly follow what it is supposed to convey and it follows the ELBOWS rules. They are for the officer to refer back to.

Im going to go against the grain here and say I have seen terrible statements from officers full of spelling and grammatical errors and on the whole the message is still put across in a way that its obvious as to what they are trying to convey.

If you put C down and it was a genuine mistake then own up but show them that you are degree level. This is honesty and integrity which is part of the code of ethics.

Yes - you may have the opportunity snatched away from you, however you are morally obligated to mention this. Chances are someone will just go oh well, not to worry and then its all above board.
  • I've been told numerous times that passing a functional skills test is the equivalent to a C grade in Maths/English. Can anyone confirm?

Yes, it is, if it is at level 2, and a recognised board, but, it is only acceptable to certain employers, and they usually specify: GCSE grade C or equivalent. but obviously, a grade D is not the same.
  • Malthusian wrote: »
    Or perfectly standard practice at any stud farm.

Yes, it's funny, but people who work with horses in the open air would think it just as funny that people have jobs which involve sitting in an office reading MSE.

Didn't Rebecca loo"s once give pleasure to a Pig live on TV...so maybe its acceptable for same with Horse.
  • Smodlet wrote: »
    Oo-er. (JReacher, I take your point :D) So it is not really a test of English then? Thank the gods I had the sense never to have kids. Imagine helping them with their home work, giving perfectly correct instruction, only to be told, "it's wrong"!

It is a test of English, in the broadest sense. It requires comprehension skills, SPAG, analytical skills and creative writing skills.

The biggest requirement is to answer the question as it is written and you do need tuition to understand exactly what they are looking for. Timing is also crucial, as is answering the questions in an order which will gain you the most marks as they all have a different weighting.

For example, one paper has two texts; one from the 19th Century and a modern text, and the student has to draw inferences, comparisons and similarities/differences between the two. There is a creative writing question which can be Narrative or Descriptive and which requires answering according to set parameters laid out in the mark scheme.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Each police force has its own policy about what academic qualifications are needed.

A quick google reveals this.

I suspect you have already taken some written tests in your interviews so if there is a problem I am sure that it would have been raised by now.

You need to speak to your police force and tell them that you have made a mistake in your grade but do have a degree in whatever.

Most police forces seem to accept that not everyone will have the academic qualification specified and will be willing to accept others.

A GCE in English at C level is not much of an indication of your present written English in any case.

The most highly intelligent people on this earth can be hopeless at the written form. This doesn't mean that they are not fit to be police officers or any other profession. With technology these days you do not have to be brilliant at grammar or spelling - plenty of programmes to help you out. Since police cameras seem to be the norm these days not so much written evidence needs to be collected.

I am sure you will be fine and good luck with your last interview.
  • Surely a typo occurs when you hit a key next to the letter you intended or hit a key once rather than twice (or vice versa) etc.? If you put an e rather than an i (as in reset), that's a misspelling, not a typo.

No, of course not. A typo is when you know how to spell the word but tl just leave it as whatever you hit on the keyboard. A misspelling is when you fdeliberately hit the wrong letetrs. It can of course sometimes hbe impossible for anyone but the person typing to know the difference. As far as "hte key next to it" goes, I have left this post exqaclty as I originally types it and not corrected anything to demonstrate just how wildly worngh typing can go when your tpye quickly but errtacially.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure