Add your feedback on energy supplier Green Star Energy

Options

Comments

• Danceswithhorses
    Options
    My experience is the same as many ie Green Star seem to be in a bit of a mess.
    I always updated my readings online when requested, which were accepted.
    On 2 ocassions, someone rang weeks later, and said i hadn't given readings, and i just had to re-iterate the original readings.
    I'm leaving after a year, having before my final bill, been issued only one proper bill.
    Here's hoping my over-payment is refunded soon..apparently they can take up to 10 working days...really ???
  • Vicks0001
    Options
    Like many others before me I chose GSE 1 year ago in part because of the promises of the tariff but also because I liked the 'green' ethos.

I have to say that I had no problem opening the account, submitting meter readings or setting up the direct debit.

The first problems happened once I had to turn off the gas supply to fix a problem with a boiler. This became such an issue that I complained and was given a waiver on the early exit fees to change company.

Having now changed to SO energy once again I have cause to complain:-

1. Monthly payments are taken as promised but the amount of energy is not reviewed against monthly payments leaving me with a large bill to settle without notice when I started the transfer process
    2. Apparently it is impossible to transfer both electric and gas parts of the account at the same time meaning I was left paying 2 energy companies whilst they waited for both parts to be completed
    3. 6 weeks after electricity moving across and 4 weeks after gas moving to the new supplier I have only just been told (after chasing) that the credit has been authorised and should be in my account in a further 5 working days (it is still unclear as to whether I am getting gas/electricity credits or both at this time)

GSE have informed me that credit refunds take 5-6 weeks on average at the moment due to a backlog of requests. Maybe they should consider the cause of the backlog and try to turn their customer service levels around.

Overall there is some service given but it is taken from the viewpoint of what is best for the company and not from the view of what is best for the customer. Their service operators appear to have their hands tied to resolve complaints and will only quote the company line leaving me totally dissatisfied with the service received. I don't like complaining in a group forum as it can be hurtful to a business to do so without offering the company a chance to resolve the situation first, however GSE have been given the opportunity and still refuse to do anything therefore I hope that my feedback added to everyone else's before me helps someone else avoid the same situation in the future.

My advice, don't use GSE no matter what the £££ savings are, it won't be worth it and you will pay far more than expected.
  • Bigrog
    Bigrog Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Lots of problems using email's. When you get through on the phone the staff seem to know what they are doing. Don't let them talk you into a smart meter, that's when my problems started. Switched without getting sensible answers. Just got to get my refund back.
  • Bigrog
    Bigrog Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I have had the same problem with smart meters which they swapped. They billed me on estimated meter readings on old meters.
    Now with Coop.
  • MoiraBaker
    Options
    Hi
    I switched last October 2017. Took ages to agree the final readings but then they claim I have doubled my normal usage when they came to produce the final bill (I tracked it against the parallel previous years readings and they are normally very close and there have been no changes that would account for this substantial increase). I eventually went to the Ombudsman as they had reconciled my account back to August 2015 when I first became a customer rather than the previous last bill from August 2017 and thats 3 different annual tariffs. I did a spreadsheet (as have some experience from my job in doing utility bills) and calculated I owed about £20. They say £224!!! With a credit on my account of £92 at the end of Sept 2017 that would mean I had used £317 - its the summer so little gas use too. The Ombudsman says GSE say now for the first time there was an error on my account. Why not reconcile to Aug 17 bill not Aug 2015? Ombudsman sided with GSE and cannot take the doubling of consumption as evidence of an error! Feel like hitting head against a brick wall.
  • keithio
    Options
    Switched to these clowns and set up a direct debit.
    After a few months noticed that my account was being credited by my payments but not debited by my bills.
    Contacted them and they said they would sort it; should've checked really!
    Just switched from them and now notice that at the time they "sorted it" they stopped taking my payments and started billing me, and had me rack up an £800+ bill.
    Useless financially IMO - their gas and electric is no different to anyone else's so go there instead!!!
  • Mike_Fenster
    Options
    Switching to Green Star was easy, but in the 12 months I was with them i never received a correct utility bill. My first bill was sent out 5 months after joining Green Star, but it had the incorrect starting meter reading for electricity. I pointed out the error, but never received another bill until after we switched from them. Then they sent some bills, but froze me out of their online account so I couldn't read them. I spent several hours on the phone to them over the 14 months since signing up, but it was a waste of time. When they finally sent me the bills as attachments to an email, they had corrected the electricity reading but used an incorrect initial gas meter reading. The only good thing is that through all of the incorrect bills, I owe them money rather than the other way round.
  • SSKK
    Options
    I switched suppliers to GSE through the Cheap Energy Club. Switching process was very long with a number of phone calls to ensure switch was completed. I am very glad that I did not choose Direct Debit option as I started to read some not so very encouraging feedback on GSE. Customer Service Teams were always polite when on the phone but I soon realized what was promised would not eventuate without further follow up calls. I switched suppliers again at the end of my contract and it has taken FOUR months to obtain a final bill from GSE. This was only received through weekly phone calls and emails and eventually having to raise a complaint. I can't imagine the frustration I would have had if GSE owed me money if I had paid by DD and been in credit. The effort I have had to go to to get the online accounts to work or the meter readings to be accepted or the constant requests to receive a final bill has been enormous. Don't waste your time if you have the choice between GSE and a more highly recommended supplier. Good luck to all those still waiting for their final bills. Hang in there.
  • chocolady
    Options
    Worst company I’ve ever switched to. Their app never works, they get your meter readings wrong or don’t take them so I’ve had to ring them or enter them again each time. My mum passed away last year. During this time they stopped my dd payments without notifying me because I queried the amount they charged me on switching. App was telling me dds were being taken. This went from August to March when I checked the account my dds were coming from and found nothing had been taken and they just billed me immediately offering me £10 for inconvenience! They had no idea the dd wasn’t being paid until I told them. This lead to my bill building up to over £500! Used the ombudsman but they took the company’s side and were worse than useless. Awful company no customer service. I have switched many times and give regular readings (when they actually took them!) so don’t know what they would do to someone less switched on. Dreadful but no wonder they get away with it as the ombudsman doesn’t seem to care. They are now saying I can’t switch until the debt is cleared when I tried to switch to bulb even though I will set up payment plan. Not sure if they can do this. Avoid!
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 October 2018 at 4:02PM
    Options
    cireland wrote: »
    I absolutely regret following MSE's advice and switching to this energy firm.
    They are completely incompetent, my electric was switched without issue there was an issue with my GAS as there was a nominal amount left on the account, I was made aware cleared it the same day, I let Greenstar know this and my GAS account has still not changed over. (0005420413)

You spend weeks waiting for a reply via email, 30 minutes on hold trying to call them the amount of time I have invested trying to sort this is fasical. I have called them over 10 times since April, sent countless emails, been told countless lies by them, and to top it off I just received an email caliming I am entiled to only half the cash back because I only moved over one account!

They are ridiculous, all whilst this is happening I am paying a standard tariff on my current GAS account, eating into any saving's I was going to make... Time to make an formal compliant I think....

Why would you move to a supplier/tariff that charged 3.97p/kWh, when there were plenty of other suppliers that charged less than 3p/kWh? (and a daily standing charge of about 10p-12p per day)
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=74859791&postcount=10

Exactly how much was your previous supplier charging you at their standard variable rate in July 2017? :eek:

Edit: The cost of gas on the Green Star Rate Saver 12M Fixed MSE tariff was 2.817p in the East Midlands supply region (standing charge was 18.375p per day)
    Prices may have varied slightly by region, but I doubt by as much as almost 50% :cool:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback