Aligning the Stars

Comments

• Doodles152
    Doodles152 Posts: 82 Forumite
    Have just read from the start of your diary. Your doing really well with your debt busting, but you need to remember to enjoy life as well, as you say as a family you have a good income.

I understand where you come from with regards to wanting to contribute to everything you do, just remember what others have said how you would feel if the shoe was on the other foot and it was you with the large salary and your partner that was trying to study/work/debt bust.

Don't be too hard on yourself and remember to look at things from another perspective, but being a single parent I do understand the need to do it all yourself.

I have subscribed so look forward to following your journey.
    Debts to deal with Cap 1 £3996.83 £3923.43 (0%), Next £1252.21 £1211.85 (0%) Very £294.88 £282.64, Studio £266.11 £256.11 (0%), Halifax card £277.17 £466.01:mad:
  • Lucifa73
    Lucifa73 Posts: 7,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wow your holiday sound fabulous. I would love to do something like that but Hubbles can't see past the beach when it comes to relaxing. Maybe one day.
    26.2.19/14.1.19: T MC 3629.26/3629.26 : VM 0% 1050/13876.59 : W 0% 100/1485 = 4409.26/18990.85 =25.17%
    28.1.19/28.1.19 Hubs 0% £400/£2,977 =13.44%
    SPC 2019 #073

• Starmummy
    Starmummy Posts: 537 Forumite
    edited 27 June 2018 at 11:23AM
    Hi Doodles and Lucifa thanks for popping by.

I really can't wait for the trip.
    Mr Star booked the 4 nights accommodation in the mountains last night. 1 bed apartment in a ski resort with pool and spa £265!!! Bargain. so far the holiday has only cost £500. We just need to book the 3 nights in Verona and a hire car. I envisage the week will cost us about £1500 for travel, accommodation and spending money. Which i think is amazing value for the type of holiday in Italy in the late summer for 3 people.

If anyone has been please let me know any must see/do things.

On the 5 week countdown to my birthday trip with a girlfriend too. A weekend in Amsterdam...also done on the cheap. Flights were £57 each and the hotel will cost us £86 each for 2 nights. Mr Star is taking us to the airport so saving there. Then I just need spending money for food, museums, beer etc. All in the weekend will cost me about £300-3350. It's a milestone birthday for me next month so it's my gift to myself.

I know all these trips ( I went surfing in Morocco in January and we took a family holiday to Cartagena in April as Mr Star's dad lives there) are super indulgent, but these are the things that make me so happy. Travel gives me life. An addiction that we have passed on to Star Child who really wants to go to Paris next (my plan is to save to take her for a girly weekend for her 10th birthday next year- I could be debt free when I go eek!) Travel is my main inspiration for getting debt free. I pay about £700 a month off my debt. If I had no debt I could take a weekend away every single month. Wouldn't that be so amazing?

Take care
    SM
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 £9,788.01/£12,618.12 :( (Total debt at LBM 1st Jan '18 c..£19.5k)
    EF/FIT savings £97.24 Other Savings £12.17 House Deposit £4,762.64/£20,000 23.8% :D
  • Sayschezza
    Sayschezza Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Verona. Juliet's balcony. Opera in the Roman Amphitheatre, trip to Lake Garda.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • Ahh Italy is top on my list to visit when I can afford it! I'm also planning on taking me and my little one to Amsterdam for my 30th in 2020. Hope you have a lovely time and remember life is about balance, even with debt! As long as that number is going down and the trips aren't adding to it, there is nothing to feel guilty about :)
    Total Debt June 2018 £23,064 /£0 Paid off
    Ultimate Savings Goal £0/£1000
    Holiday Pot £0/£500
  • Starmummy
    Happy Monday debt slayers.

We had a lovely weekend in the star house, enjoying the sunshine while I did my main open water swim of the year, lots of relaxing and tea drinking and the odd bit of never ending DIY.

I sat down with Mr Star and made plans for the next few months so we have some amazing things to look forward to on top of my trip to Amsterdam and the family holiday in Italy.

Still in the plodding along part of the month as far as debt paying is concerned but by the end of the week my debt will be in the 12k's. How exciting is that???

Feeling so positive this week.

Take care

SM
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 £9,788.01/£12,618.12 :( (Total debt at LBM 1st Jan '18 c..£19.5k)
    EF/FIT savings £97.24 Other Savings £12.17 House Deposit £4,762.64/£20,000 23.8% :D
  • Starmummy
    Happy Hump day...we're on the home straight to the weekend :beer:

Money news. My DD for CC3 has gone out and *drumroll* my debt now stands in the £12k's!!!
    £12,994.36 to be precise.
    Ever milestone brings me closer to my dreams of really travelling around this gorgeous planet if ours.

I'm really proud of my debt slaying so far this year, not only have I paid off almost five thousand pounds but I haven't used my credit cards at all. I even have savings, ok so it's only £300 but that buffer has made so much difference when it comes to work expenses and stress and not relying on the overdraft.
    The lack of stress and anxiety over the debt has been life changing. I no longer panic when I get post or a phone call from a unknown number, or shy away from checking my bank balance, I know I'm totally in control of saving for the things that I want and I've become far more forgiving of myself.

Goals for next six months.
    *travel to Amsterdam/Italy/Paris without adding to the debt.
    *save enough money to pay my car insurance up front when it is due for renewal in December.
    *get my emergency fund to £500.
    *reduce debt to £8250 ( pay another £4750)
    *completely pay off CC2 and close it.
    *pass 2/3 exams left to get myself fully qualified, negotiate pay rise.

Things to improve on
    *be more open about money with Mr Star.
    *reduce grocery spends in the joint account (leaves more money for holidays and fun stuff)
    *think ahead with birthdays etc

I can''t wait to restock in 6 months time and see my debt free date in reach.

take care
    SM
  • That is some excellent progress - you are doing amazingly well!
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Congratulations. You're doing really well. That is an amazing deal on your Amsterdam hotel. It's a wonderful city. We go quite a lot because it's easy to fly to from where we live. It's so easy to walk around but cheap public transport too. Hope you enjoy it.
    And Verona is on my list as well!
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • Starmummy
    Happy Friday everyone.

And happy payday to me :j

July's plan is just to pay the DD off the debt (these are higher than the minimums (CC3 £50, CC2 £125 and the loan payments of £367 and £124) which is still a massive chunk but not as much as I have been paying. I also won't be adding any to my savings pots (EF and car expenses) as long as nothing goes on the credit card then I am totally happy with this. It doesn't effect my debt free date really and I should still have enough saved in the car fund to pay my car insurance up front in December for the first time since I started driving 13 years ago!

This is mainly because July is my birthday month and it's a milestone birthday so i'm not going to kid myself that this month isn't going to be expensive.
    This months activities include:
    My best friends wedding. (present , taxi home and drinks need to be budgeted for)
    My girls weekend in Amsterdam (hotel and flights paid for already)
    My birthday weekend surprise from Mr Star- no idea what he has planned but will probably need some money.
    Birthday meal with my parents/grandparents.
    The start of the school summer holidays...need to try and work out childcare costs (see who I can dump Star child on for a few days, try and wangle some working from home days, book sports camp)

Still umming and arhing over whether I can afford the trip to Paris later this year. The truth is I can...if i use some of my savings, but I'm conscious of slipping into bad habits. Need to keep talking it through with Mr Star who would love to take us but wants me to enjoy it and not worry about money. At least my debt will be under 10k by that time which feels like an important milestone.
    I have actually started up a separate holiday fund savings pot on my spreadsheet but this won't have enough in it to cover the trip although the accommodation as it's a family trip should really come out of the joint account. (which will be a little tight given the Italy trip) they are all good problems to have and I a m so grateful that I get so many opportunities that most other people don't have.
    ho hum. Back to the grind. The savings are multiplying and the debts are reducing. I've got very little to be worried about.

Have a wonderful weekend lovelies.

SM
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback