Replace electric heating...

Hi all,

Our night storage boiler (Google 'nightstor', I can't post links yet!) is dead, and before I decide whether to pay to bring it back to life again I want to fully assess my options. I have a wet central heating system with immersion heater for hot water.

I will be getting quotes for Oil, Calor Gas, and ASHP. Is there anything else I'm missing? I'm prepared to leave the water on the immersion heater, and I don't have megabucks to pay out for a GSHP. I don't want a stove with backboiler (too much faff) and I'm reluctant for biomass boiler, but I'm unsure why.

Also, needless to say I'm off-grid for mains gas.

Thanks!

Sam.

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Personally I'd go for oil, on the basis that it's generally reckoned to be the "next best" to mains gas in terms of cost. And it's pretty convenient to use. Calor gas is usually quite a bit more expensive, especially if you end up tied to a contract with one supplier.

ASHP - I can't really offer any advice on that one, not having had personal experience. But I have heard stories on here that they burn a lot of electricity - however I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me !

Whatever you go for it'll be a fairly hefty investment, so you're wise to do as much research as possible ;)
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,586
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Hi - Did you solve the problem with your Nightstor boiler? I'm trying to get hold of a second hand one for a project I'm doing... Any chance you still have it lying around and are looking to get rid of it? Or know someone else who has one?
  • DREKLY
    DREKLY Posts: 208
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I smell Spam cooking, on gas....
    16 x Enhance 250w panels + SolarEdge Inverter + TREES :(
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,923
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Indeed.

I'm not sure why SaraR2018 and RobertJr continue to post on here.

They have been told that this is a UK based forum and that we do things a little differently over here.

They are clearly wasting their time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport