Hacked, money stolen, nothing more can be done

Hi,
A few months ago we started work on our house. We had one set of builders who we had to get rid of and so started working with a different group of builders. They had been emailing us and visa versa, no problems. They sent us the account number and sort code and we sent the initial payment. A week later (they had done some work by this point) they asked for payment for cost of materials which we paid. Couple days later - nothing has gone in, they think we’ve not paid. Getting together and looking at the emails, the email sent and received are different, only the card details. So email was hacked. Contacted our bank, they looked into it, know it’s a Barclays account etc and contact them. We wait the 21 days and nothing can be done, it’s our fault. We wrote to them and asked for the details they got from Barclays but haven’t heard anything. Please help, what do I do next? We lost about £5000 and the builders changed their password !!!128580;

Comments

• Go to the police it!!!8217;s fraud. Contact the bank again and demand the details of the persons account.

Happened to my friend when sending money to China.
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,806
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    As far as the bank are concerned, they acted on your instructions, so don't try to progress it via them directly.

You need to contact Action Fraud (which is part of the City of London Police) immediately. They have powers to extract information from banks that you don't, so they are the best organisation to work with the bank.

They should be familiar with the techniques used in scams like this - though whether you will get the money back, I don't know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure