Peer-to-peer lending sites: MSE guide discussion

Comments

• shoi
    shoi Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The p2pif keep touting the possibility of getting sued by some borrower who feels libelled, and for that reason they have insisted that borrowers names are hidden like this b******r, which makes it extremely hard to follow or find other people's opinions.

Does anyone know if this is a realistic hazard?
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Shoi - the convention of censoring out borrower identity seems a bit ridiculous to me, especially as many platforms will openly show loan information on their public sites. Lenders are at greater risk than borrowers so surely we should have the prerogative of more transparency. When it comes to P2PIF though; their house, their rules, even if I don't fully understand/approve.
    : )
  • I see the aircraft loans are Ablrate are due to re-pay soon, which is a pity as was hoping they would pay to term and was actually topping up on them recently.

Awaiting some new loans for Ablrate so hope they work in when these repay. I have not been as active with fresh cash in MT or Collateral in recent weeks, I see a MT loan was pulled, I decided against it anyway reading the P2P forum.

Any thoughts on the Student loans still being filled on Collateral? I may put something in as have nothing in them. Asides all of this, nothing major with my P2P at the moment :)
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I see the aircraft loans are Ablrate are due to re-pay soon, which is a pity as was hoping they would pay to term and was actually topping up on them recently.

Awaiting some new loans for Ablrate so hope they work in when these repay. I have not been as active with fresh cash in MT or Collateral in recent weeks, I see a MT loan was pulled, I decided against it anyway reading the P2P forum.

Any thoughts on the Student loans still being filled on Collateral? I may put something in as have nothing in them. Asides all of this, nothing major with my P2P at the moment :)

I think you have to be very cautious buying at a premium on Ablrate. If a loan repays early, I think you could potentially lose money on that transaction.

I invested in both the new loans at MT and have reinvested my returned investment from the withdrawn loan in the other. There is a major update on a Hotel & Restaurant loan due tomorrow, looks to be more bad news for MT.
  • TheShape wrote: »
    I think you have to be very cautious buying at a premium on Ablrate. If a loan repays early, I think you could potentially lose money on that transaction.

I invested in both the new loans at MT and have reinvested my returned investment from the withdrawn loan in the other. There is a major update on a Hotel & Restaurant loan due tomorrow, looks to be more bad news for MT.

Yes bit of a lesson there with premiums on Ablrate, it was several hundred, nothing too major but did not expect them to pay up early. So I could lose on that transaction as you said.

I put some money into the loan with the 1% cash back. That sounds bad news on the Hotel and Restaurant loan due tomorrow, they really could do without more problems as it has been several of late. I must look it up, I am a bit behind on some of the news on things and between some defaults and loans pulled, it is not seeming too easy for MT in recent months.
  • TheShape wrote: »
    There is a major update on a Hotel & Restaurant loan due tomorrow, looks to be more bad news for MT.

Just read it there, does not seem good. I have a small amount in that one. It won't help things if this defaults as well.
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just read it there, does not seem good. I have a small amount in that one. It won't help things if this defaults as well.

I don't think there's much doubt it will default as the restaurant/hotel is in administration. However I have a lot more confidence in the valuation for this asset than many others so I expect we will eventually see all capital returned (and all the post-default interest too if it doesn't drag on too long).
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    msallen wrote: »
    I don't think there's much doubt it will default as the restaurant/hotel is in administration. However I have a lot more confidence in the valuation for this asset than many others so I expect we will eventually see all capital returned (and all the post-default interest too if it doesn't drag on too long).

I'm not so bullish on the full return of capital on this one.

The valuation looks generous (don't they all), and given that lytham now looks as though it's going to result in a haircut to investors at what looked to me like a conservative valuation, then I have my doubts.
  • bigadaj wrote: »
    I'm not so bullish on the full return of capital on this one.

The valuation looks generous (don't they all), and given that lytham now looks as though it's going to result in a haircut to investors at what looked to me like a conservative valuation, then I have my doubts.

I'd agree, how many of these places are for sale after failing throughout the UK. I've a bit in but thankfully less than 1% of my p2p.
  • Is anyone aware of any Eurozone P2P platforms that allow international investors AND offer a provision fund as security measure?? Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback