Freezing disputed transaction

Options
Last week I took a punt and booked a couple of mispriced airline tickets through an online travel agency and paid using my Nationwide Select credit card. It looks like the airline isn't going to honour the flights as they were booked (fair enough, I was aware of this possibility) so I will need to pursue a refund.

I'm not looking to raise a section 75 claim at this early stage, however it could take several weeks to get the refund.

I am wondering whether Nationwide will "freeze" the transaction at the moment if I asked them to?

I pay off my statement in full every month and I'm just thinking that if I pay this transaction off at the next statement, then the company subsequently provides the refund, my account will then be in credit and I will then have to chase Nationwide for a refund, wait for a cheque to arrive, etc.

It would be less hassle if they freeze the disputed transaction, so I can leave it unpaid without it attracting interest, then when the refund eventually comes it will cover it. Is this something that they could or would do?

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    No they won't, it's not a fraudulent transaction so they have no reason too.

You took a gamble and it didn't pay off so you lose the gamble and the cost is a delayed refund.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    The speed of airline refunds to consumers is an absolute disgrace. Equally from airline to travel agent.

But in your case, I'd contact your card company and request a chargeback on the grounds of unacceptable delay in refunding.
  • Roland_Sausage
    Options
    Fair enough.

I agree it's not a fraudulent transaction but I did pay for business class flights, and the airline has subsequently downgraded them to economy class so the goods definitely aren't as described.

If I have to wait, then so be it.
  • Roland_Sausage
    Options
    The speed of airline refunds to consumers is an absolute disgrace. Equally from airline to travel agent.

But in your case, I'd contact your card company and request a chargeback on the grounds of unacceptable delay in refunding.

I'll give it a few weeks and see if I have to go down this road. But I have read that it could take up to 12 weeks
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are the fares refundable at all?
  • Roland_Sausage
    Options

I don't believe so, no. But this shouldn't be relevant?
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'll give it a few weeks and see if I have to go down this road. But I have read that it could take up to 12 weeks

Do you have communication from the travel agent saying they'll refund what you paid for the ticket? You mentioned "It looks like the airline isn't going to honour the flights as they were booked...". Presumably, that means you're still negotiating with them and hoping they'll honour the original purchase?

If I were you and I had communication from them saying they would refund the ticket price, I'd give them a week to do so. Then, contact Nationwide and begin a Chargeback if the travel agent hadn't processed the refund.

I've made three successful Chargeback requests via Nationwide using their online messaging service. They refund the disputed amount immediately.

It's amazing how quickly companies act when they have a Chargeback hanging over their head.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    If it's a business class seat that the airline isn't prepared to honour, I'd suggest definitely!
  • Roland_Sausage
    Options
    SnowTiger wrote: »
    Do you have communication from the travel agent saying they'll refund what you paid for the ticket? You mentioned "It looks like the airline isn't going to honour the flights as they were booked...". Presumably, that means you're still negotiating with them and hoping they'll honour the original purchase?

If I were you and I had communication from them saying they would refund the ticket price, I'd give them a week to do so. Then, contact Nationwide and begin a Chargeback if the travel agent hadn't processed the refund.

I've made three successful Chargeback requests via Nationwide using their online messaging service. They refund the disputed amount immediately.

It's amazing how quickly companies act when they have a Chargeback hanging over their head.

I have logged into the Airline's website and the flights have definitely been changed to economy.

I have spoken briefly to the travel agent, but don't have any communication from them other than they'll get back to me on Monday (tomorrow).

However lots of others on another forum who had booked the same flight have either had their tickets cancelled outright or have been downgraded to economy and offered the choice of accepting the downgrade or taking a refund. I honestly don't think there's any chance of them honouring the original booking for me now.

I'll be pushing for a full refund as the flights are not a particular bargain price for economy, and also are out of London Heathrow and I'm based in Scotland. (I'd get myself to Heathrow for a bargain business class flight, but no chance for economy).

Interesting what you say about the chargeback, and will look into this.
  • Roland_Sausage
    Roland_Sausage Posts: 723 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 September 2017 at 7:52AM
    Options
    I ended up having to pursue a Section 75 claim for this after the travel agent ignored all my attempts to claim a refund. Terrible customer service.

The full amount was refunded to my card yesterday by Nationwide.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure