Revolut pre-paid Mastercard

Comments

• Maybe ok for Europe. In India I've incurred loads of charges and it took a while to figure out why. Was losing around 10% per transaction, then they told me i could get it back by getting receipts. Spent another day at the bank having the ATM opened and photographing receipts only to be told they matched revoluts records (why wouldn't they?). 2% fee after the first £200 drawn and Indian banks take a few too (not with my UK bank card tho). Spent MANY hours on their support chat and fb messenger finding out what the hell is going on. Made my trip a financial nightmare and lost days. I travel out of Europe every year and have done for 20, I'd never recommend this card.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Josehose wrote: »
    Spent MANY hours on their support chat and fb messenger finding out what the hell is going on. Made my trip a financial nightmare and lost days.
    Sounds like a incoherence issue...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Hi everyone,

Recently signed up for a Revolut card after recommendation because I'm going to be working abroad for a few months. Wanted to check a few things as I've never worked or received payment abroad. I'm being paid in euros upon invoice however I'm unsure what details to provided to my employer to get the best deal on my Revolut account.

I would assume that if I provided my UK account number and sort-code for Revolut that a conversion would be made to pounds and then I would have to convert it back to euros to spend (not what I want to do)

Ideally I want to be paid in euros straight into my 'euro' account in Revolut so no conversion is made - I think that's possible but that's where I'm unsure what I provide? Do I just provide my IBAN, SWIFT and reference number? And do I have to say what currency I'm requesting the payment in?

I understand this is not 100% a question about Revolut but also about international payments in general (and invoicing!) but all replies greatly appreciated!

Cheers.
  • stevenpc
    stevenpc Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    not to sure on this one would be best to contact revolut and ask them
  • eDicky
    edited 17 May 2017 at 3:27AM
    Ideally I want to be paid in euros straight into my 'euro' account in Revolut so no conversion is made - I think that's possible but that's where I'm unsure what I provide? Do I just provide my IBAN, SWIFT and reference number? And do I have to say what currency I'm requesting the payment in?.
    Until Revolut provide a personal IBAN for receiving EUR and USD, you cannot receive euros directly into your euro balance from a third party. (It can be done in GBP to the personal sort code / acc no. they already provide.) So don't try giving your employer the general Revolut IBAN, SWIFT and your reference number to receive your salary, it won't work.

So until then, to avoid conversion fees etc, you would do best to open a euro bank account with someone like Britline (France) or KBC Ireland to receive incoming SEPA payments free of charge. You can then load those euros to Revolut by the euro bank debit card, and/or just spend using that card.
  • Peribanu
    Peribanu Posts: 11 Forumite
    You can get an IBAN and Euro account quickly using Paysera. You need to become a fully verified customer, which involves uploading a photo of you holding your passport, and possibly a couple of other things. After fully verified you get an IBAN in your own name for Euro transfers out or in. As long as your Paysera account name and your Revolut account name are exactly the same, you should then be able to transfer Euro funds from Paysera to Revolut via SEPA for currency exchange.
  • wagtap
    wagtap Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 25 August 2017 at 7:16AM
    I've had a Revolut card for a couple of years

You simply load GBP onto it directly from your bank account or using your debit/credit card, then convert to your currency of choice whenever you want via the app on your phone. No signal - no app.

Great when it works. They even offer a bank account.

However, when there's a hitch, there is no phone number to call, only their in-app messaging system and you can wait hours/days for a response. I'm currently on holiday, using the Revolut card for all my euros. I tried to update one my [paying-in] cards on the account and entered a number wrongly. Revolut suspended the account, preventing any access at all to my euros (mid-holiday) and three days later their lethargic customer services (clearly understaffed and based around the world) are still asking me for utility bills and making me jump through endless hoops before they re-open it.. No cash for three days and counting...

Only a few months ago, when moving the app onto my new iPhone from my old one, they again suspended the account (I had started to use the bank account on offer) and it took FIVE WEEKS to sort out due to "high demand on our services team". Can you imagine being locked out of your bank account for 5 weeks...

I would not recommend Revolut until they have ironed out their service issues. If you do use it, take back up.
  • I have ordered one of these for a holiday in Benidorm in October.

I topped it up with a small amount to cover the delivery charge of the card. Made sure I verified it and also said no to keep usage within my locale, so it doesn't (hopefully) get blocked abroad.

We are going on an all inclusive holiday, so we won't really need much in the way spending money and this seems like the perfect solution, as I don't want to be taking hundreds of Euros with me. We will just change some first before going away.

Last year we changed quite a few Euros but brought a lot of it back and of course lost out changing it back to sterling again.

Does anyone have any tips please?
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98
  • eDicky
    said no to keep usage within my locale, so it doesn't (hopefully) get blocked abroad.
    If you mean the location based security, this makes sure that card usage takes place only in the location of your smartphone with the app, wherever you may be. Do you can have that switched on, oversees usage is expected and will not normally be blocked.

You can withdraw 200€ per month from ATMs without fees, so if this is enough you can take some from an ATM at your arrival airport. If you need more, obtain a completely free Monzo or Loot card to give more withdrawal opportunity and give you backup in case of any problem with Revolut. With the cards now available, buying any cash euros is unnecessary and more costly.
  • eDicky wrote: »
    If you mean the location based security, this makes sure that card usage takes place only in the location of your smartphone with the app, wherever you may be. Do you can have that switched on, oversees usage is expected and will not normally be blocked.

You can withdraw 200€ per month from ATMs without fees, so if this is enough you can take some from an ATM at your arrival airport. If you need more, obtain a completely free Monzo or Loot card to give more withdrawal opportunity and give you backup in case of any problem with Revolut. With the cards now available, buying any cash euros is unnecessary and more costly.

I am not too sure to be honest what it said, but I took it to mean within the location of where I live, I don't know if I can change this now.. I will have a look at the Monzo card as well. I took out a Revolut card as it was recommended by a work colleague.
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure