still liable for tax?

building
building Posts: 531 Forumite
if you go and live abroad and you owe the UK tax man from about 10 years ago (they never had the money then) are they still liable? It is probably a few thousand.

Comments

• Cook_County
    Cook_County Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Tax debts remain outstanding until death. They will be collected from your estate on death and paid over by the executors if not paid before then.

If you are in this situation you are now living of what are now called 'proceeds of crime'. This is a criminal offence so you should seek legal advice from a solicitor.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    They may have problems collecting the funds if you have vanished abroad. But come back to the UK and the minute they see your NI number active, they will hit you for the tax bill, plus interest and penalties.

Even if you don't come back to the UK, if you have a pension in this country, they will get you then.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure