Some advice please

Options
Hello!

Just thought I would post here to see if anybody has any advice for me.

Sorry in advance if this is a long post, but I will just try to explain my situation and hopefully some of you will be able to point me in the right direction :)

I am 23 years old and a graduate: I have a degree in Environmental Science which I completed in 2004. Ideally I want a career relating to this but I have found it difficult to find work despite there being a shortage of Environmental Scientists in this country. Everybody seems to want at least 2 years experience (which I don't have).

I last had a job (paid employment) - it was a summer job - in 2003. It was factory work which I did every summer while I was in uni. I hated every minute of it, but it got me some money so that I was able to travel a bit after my degree and also so I could pay for a language course abroad.

I came back home in early 2005 and started to seriously look for work. For the first few months I concentrated on jobs relating to my degree, but as my savings decreased I began looking for any work.

In May 2005 I had to start claiming JSA. It was a strange feeling. I felt that I had let my family down. I was the most qualified person in my family, the first to go to university, and now I was the first person in my family to have to claim the dole.

You have all read enough about the JSA and job centre so I won't go into too much detail, but it really depressed me the way everything worked, but I thought I would get a job soon so I will just put up with it.

Months went by without any luck - I was spending a lot of time applying for jobs but I only managed to get one interview - and they didn't even call to let me know the result.

A large part of the problem I believe was that I live in a small town with very few jobs. Since I cannot drive, my opportunities were limited so I made it a priority to learn to drive. It is easier said than done though and I have still to pass (I have my 5th test in 2 weeks time).

Driving lessons were £19 a go, and taking that out of £44.50 JSA didn't leave much for other expenses. luckily my parents allowed me to stay at home for free.

After 3 months on JSA, the job centre started to make me apply for jobs at any wage (previously they allowed me to look for jobs that paid at least £15k so that I could pay back my student loan). These were terrible jobs that I would not want to do - but I knew I could do them, but none came to anything - not even an interview.

I asked about help funding a course I wanted to do - a MSc with the Open University - but it was "too advanced" for any funding. luckily later my parents loaned me the course fees so that I can study for it.

I was then sent on the New Deal and my confidence dropped to new lows. It was in a city 2 hours away and it was one of the worst experiences in my life. I was the only person on the course without a criminal record (including the people in charge) and the only person with a qualification above GCSE level.

It did not help me one bit learning how to use the internet, and how to calculate my weekly pay, and stuff like that. I was even not allowed to search for any jobs that required qualifications. A computer programme said that my ideal job was "Car Park Warden" and so I was made to spend half a day searching for car park warden jobs.

I decided to sign off, I just did not want to experience any more of the "New Deal".

Now I am caring for my elderly grandfather during the days, and studying for my Masters degree in the evenings. I have been told that I am eligible for carers allowance because I care for more than 35 hours a week - should I apply? Is it an easy process?

Recently I have had tests and interviews for a good position in the civil service in London. Unfortunately I just got a letter saying that I have been unsuccessful. In total, my travel expenses to go to London for all this has been about £250 and they have not paid 1 penny because "it is not our policy".

It seems strange that I can get so far in the recruitment process for a really good job, but cannot even get an interview for a job working in a shop.

I am still looking for a job but I really don't know how I am going to get one. It just seems so difficult when just over a year ago I thought it would be easy. I feel as though I have let myself and my family down.

I accept that I cannot be too picky about what jobs to go for, but I at least want one that will look good on the CV and give me some skills that I can use in the future.

Help me please! I don't know what to do! I can't even get a minimum wage job when just 18 months ago my expectations were so much higher. I know I have the skills but no-one else seems to see it.

I have so many emotions going through my mind. I am angry at this country in a way because I was promised that going to university would enable me to have a good career (especially a science degree). Yet now that I have the skills, no-one is willing to take me on. Yet I cannot change the past so I must go on, so I am asking for any advice - from you people :)

I would very much like to hear any suggestions anybody has. Sorry again for such a long post, hope you can understand it lol, I seem to have gone on for quite a long time :D

Comments

• Slayerx
    Slayerx Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Chris sorry to hear about your problems I've been in a similar situation with regards to finding work its so hard it seems right now.

You mention a language course do you have a qualification in second language?
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 065
  • Chris_Jobless
    Options
    Slayerx wrote:
    Hi Chris sorry to hear about your problems I've been in a similar situation with regards to finding work its so hard it seems right now.

You mention a language course do you have a qualification in second language?

Not an official qualification. It was always a dream of mine to learn another language so I took the opportunity after uni. Spent 3 months in another country learning the language. Not fluent but I like to think I can hold a good conversation.

It was a great time, for the first time in my life I was really independent and I loved it. Not got a lot of independence now though :( I guess thats a really frustrating thing - having to depend on my parents. Not a great feeling.
  • Slayerx
    Options
    I know how you feel I signed up for JSA about 5 weeks ok and I felt so out of place and like you said embarrassed, If you had a second language that could of opened a few doors in the gaming industry which may not be where you want to work but it would of been a start.

Have you tried to use an agency to find you work?
  • Chris_Jobless
    Options
    Slayerx wrote:
    I know how you feel I signed up for JSA about 5 weeks ok and I felt so out of place and like you said embarrassed, If you had a second language that could of opened a few doors in the gaming industry which may not be where you want to work but it would of been a start.

Have you tried to use an agency to find you work?

I am with one agency, but they have been useless. I don't know of any others in my area. Do you know how to find out?

I am always quite suspicious of agencies but I wouldn't mind using them in the short term.

I wish my language skills were more help to me - but Russian isn't very useful in Wales lol :)
  • Slayerx
    Options
    https://www.reed.co.uk seem a good agency with offices all over the place.

Not sure how to check but I guess signing up to some online agencies is an option, sorry I couldn't be more help.
  • Chris_Jobless
    Options
    Slayerx wrote:
    https://www.reed.co.uk seem a good agency with offices all over the place.

Not sure how to check but I guess signing up to some online agencies is an option, sorry I couldn't be more help.

Thanks for the advice :T

Good luck with your job search also.
  • equine_induced_poverty
    Options
    Have you considered exam paper marking, only a month or so of work but an excellent rate of pay! Also how about teaching? or offering home tuition. There is a teaching programme at some schools where you learn while you earn, ie get your qualified teaching status whilst employed by the school. If you do teacher training there is a bursary. If you have a second language (skills at least) then you would be even more suitable. AND THINK OF THE HOLIDAYS!!!!! Good luck and keep your chin up, you've done really well so far!
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wish I could offer some constructive job advice or even rustle up a decent job for you, but sadly I can't.

You asked about carer's allowance for looking after your grandad & if you look here you can see if you'd qualify http://www.direct.gov.uk/CaringForSomeone/MoneyMatters/MoneyArticles/fs

Good luck with the job search anyway.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Chris_Jobless
    Options
    cattie wrote:
    Wish I could offer some constructive job advice or even rustle up a decent job for you, but sadly I can't.

You asked about carer's allowance for looking after your grandad & if you look here you can see if you'd qualify http://www.direct.gov.uk/CaringForSomeone/MoneyMatters/MoneyArticles/fs

Good luck with the job search anyway.

Thanks for the link :T
  • Chris_Jobless
    Options
    Have you considered exam paper marking, only a month or so of work but an excellent rate of pay! Also how about teaching? or offering home tuition. There is a teaching programme at some schools where you learn while you earn, ie get your qualified teaching status whilst employed by the school. If you do teacher training there is a bursary. If you have a second language (skills at least) then you would be even more suitable. AND THINK OF THE HOLIDAYS!!!!! Good luck and keep your chin up, you've done really well so far!

Teaching is something that I am now thinking of, but it is the years training that puts me off - although like you say there is a bursary.

Its an idea though, thank you for the advice :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure