PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does the solicitor have to be local?

Options
When I purchased and sold 5 years ago I used a solicitor based in Liverpool. All went well and I had no problems with them.

Whilst at a local solicitor's office yesterday I asked for conveyencing fees (he was very expensive :eek: ) and said I would need to use a local solicitor due to signing of deeds etc. However 5 years ago I didn't have to make a trip to Liverpool, everything was done through the post. Is he just trying to pull the wool over my eyes or have things changed now?

Comments

• AndrewSmith
    AndrewSmith Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    In short, you do not have to use a local solicitor.

Use who you want

Andy
  • JennyW_2
    JennyW_2 Posts: 1,888 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks - that's what I thought. He wanted £700 for the purchase whereas my other quotes are around £500.
  • AndrewSmith
    AndrewSmith Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    Save yourself the £200, it will easily cover the postage costs ;)
  • Meeten
    Meeten Posts: 236 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    heh - i am in Scotland, the place I am selling is in Surrey, and my solicitor is in Sussex - that's cos i have used him all the time,and I know I canc rely on him.

Choose one that you will get on with (pref one that is not tooooo expensive!)
    One day I want to be the pigeon...... and not the statue!
  • JennyW_2
    JennyW_2 Posts: 1,888 Forumite
    Options
    Meeten wrote:
    Choose one that you will get on with (pref one that is not tooooo expensive!)

thing is they all sound so "stern" when you talk to them - can be a little intimidating _pale_
  • Meeten
    Meeten Posts: 236 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    JennyW wrote:
    thing is they all sound so "stern" when you talk to them - can be a little intimidating _pale_

Well, I nkow of one that is in the Sussex area if that is any good.... he can sound stern, but also v helpful.

PM if that is 'local' enough to you :think:
    One day I want to be the pigeon...... and not the statue!
  • claz
    claz Posts: 179 Forumite
    Options
    i used a local solicitor as i wanted to rush things through and i felt that if something went wrong (it did) i could go in and make a fuss whereas you can easliy be fobbed off on the phone

if you want to use the same solicitor as before, call them and speak to the person you used, say you have concerns about the distance but still would like to use them and ask how then can ensure things run just as smoothly as before
    Well we finally did it got a house not on a main road, next a railway line or any other werid and wonderful things that get on my nerves!!!

:beer:
    :dance:
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    When I changed my Mortgage, the solicitor for the whole process was in Durham, I live in Cornwall. So the answer is no. However if you want to go to the office to kick them up the rear to get them moving, you need one closer.
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure