PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Hi I'm new and selling my house

2»

Comments

• Jenny, just to let you know that the railway line won't put everyone off. We have just had an offer accepted on a house very close to a railway line (also in Surrey!). You can see the trains from the house but it doesn't bother me one bit.

I'd rather live near a railway line than a motorway or factory etc!
    Best of luck.
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    A railway wouldn't put me off. It's far preferable to a busy road; there's something likeable about the railway personally. I used to live within 500m of one when I was at university and after the first few days I didn't notice the sound at all.
    Happy chappy
  • JennyW_2
    JennyW_2 Posts: 1,888 Forumite
    Many thanks for your encouraging comments. I've had 18 viewings this week along (phew)! I had a second viewing yesterday and another second coming on Wednesday.

It is very dishearting though - bit like going for a job interview and being turned down for the same reason :( in the end you feel that no-one's going to bother - however it's only been a week and I'm sure someone out there will love my house and not bother that there is a train line.
  • exil
    exil Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    Well - could be worse. We tried to sell our house a couple of years ago. 6 months on the market - no viewers. I repeat, NO VIEWERS. And a house down the street sold for 5k above our asking price.
  • Tahiti
    Tahiti Posts: 446 Forumite
    Jenny, you have my sympathies. We put our house on the market just over a week ago. So far, we've had 9 viewings, and most of them love the house (two second viewings too). We have strange looking plumbing though unfortunately. It works great and keeps the house very cosy, but some of the pipes are exposed (a problem not easy to rectify), and that seems to put people off.

It's never bothered me, but it does seem to bother a lot of other people. To fix it properly has been costed and has come back at £2900 for a replacement system (worst case scenario), but no one seems to be interested in making an offer under the asking price. It's a pity as the house has been valued to take this into account, but I guess we might have to bite the bullet and get the work done!

Best of luck to you.

Rob
  • Jorgan_2
    Jorgan_2 Posts: 2,270 Forumite
    Jenny, is it possible to turn this negative into a positive? How close are you to the station? If someone mentions the railway can you say something like "I know, its great only being a 5 minute walk to the station", as long as you are of course. Alternativley have some music palying during viewings, not blaring out just backgound music. This will be how people will live in the property, rather than stood in silence waitning to hear if the 3.15 to Waterloo is on time.
  • JennyW_2
    JennyW_2 Posts: 1,888 Forumite
    Hi Jorgan. Yep, I've started now turning it into a positive. I am indeed a 5 minute walk from the station and now say that it's handing for commuting and nights out in London and also I have the TV on in the background so when the trains do go past it lets viewers know what to expect (as if they were at home watching tv). Of course you can hear something but they're not rumbling past at 90mph and 9 out of 10 of them are pulling in and out of the station. I've been told my house is beautiful and a credit to us but I think people just dont like to see a train outside :( We've had 18 views in the past week (although I admit a few are probably people just out having a look around and not in a position to move). A house 2 doors along sold for £2K more than ours is up for and I reckon the train line is only a few meters back, not much more. this house had a downstairs toilet though which is why I believe they chose it over ours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure