Short Stay Potential Booking

I saw a cottage on a well known website that had 2 nights free in July and the cottage looked lovely. The details said they only accepted a minimum of 3 night stay but as the 2 days fell between 2 other bookings, I hoped I could book this. The website quoted a per night stay of £159.

I enquired and they were willing to accept the booking but offered a 20% discount off a 3 night stay. So, a 3 night stay would cost £477 and they were willing to offer it to me for a 20% discount so it would cost me £383 which made it £190 a night. When I queried this the cottage owner said he still had the cleaning fee and the hot tub to empty.

Does anyone else find this quite odd!
Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time

Comments

• z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I saw a cottage on a well known website that had 2 nights free in July and the cottage looked lovely. The details said they only accepted a minimum of 3 night stay but as the 2 days fell between 2 other bookings, I hoped I could book this. The website quoted a per night stay of £159.

I enquired and they were willing to accept the booking but offered a 20% discount off a 3 night stay. So, a 3 night stay would cost £477 and they were willing to offer it to me for a 20% discount so it would cost me £383 which made it £190 a night. When I queried this the cottage owner said he still had the cleaning fee and the hot tub to empty.

Does anyone else find this quite odd!

£383 for 3 nights is £127.67 a night not £190.
    How could you have a 3 night stay anyway if there's only 2 nights between other bookings?
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 June 2018 at 8:28PM
    Thanks, no that's how she explained it. I was confused too and replied to the original owner's email stating the cost of £383 was for 3 nights and I only wanted 2.

The owner was offering a discount on the 3 night rate of 20%, in effect not a discount at all, she was in fact increasing the cost from £159 per night's stay to £190. We just wanted to stay 2 nights, that suited us and that was all that was available for that period (and more importantly £159 was the price quoted on the website per night)

Here's the wording:

Owner:
    Hi Ms Choc, I can offer a discount on the 3 night rate of 20% so the cost would be £381.60 plus the small website fee. If this would be okay let me know.

Me:
    I think you've quoted me for a 3 night stay (£381.60) when there are only 2 nights.

Owner:
    Hi Ms Choc, it's usually £159 per night so 3 nights would be £477. That's my minimum really but have offered you 2 nights at £190.80 per night = £381.60. I still have the cleaning fee and the hot tub to empty etc which is why I usually only accept 3 nights. 2 nights cost slightly more per night.
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Auntie-Dolly
    Auntie-Dolly Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    I can see where she's coming from. She have to do as much work for a 2 night booking as a 3 night booking, but for less money. Perhaps she'd rather leave it empty !!!55357;!!!56833;
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sorry, didn't realise she was only offering a 20% discount from the 3 night price, even though you were only going for 2 nights.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    z1a wrote: »
    Sorry, didn't realise she was only offering a 20% discount from the 3 night price, even though you were only going for 2 nights.

Yeah it was well confusing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure