PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• MadamMim2013
    MadamMim2013 Posts: 887 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Already in for £49.60.. :( shall be trying to keep it reigned in for this month, need to make some savings!
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,755 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's a 5 week month for me this month as I take my grocery money out of the bank on a Monday so £250 for me please. I also have the £3 that I left in my grocery purse from last month to try and build up an emergency fund (if it's any time soon it had better be a very small emergency).

Elsiepac I notice that there's nobody updating who is taking part or updating to see how we did at the end of the month. I'm sure there used to be at least two or three people running this thread. Is it time to ask for a few more volunteers maybe? It's a lot for one person to do.

I'm still laughing at thriftwizards "notes on kittens". I knew....now they're 8 and 9 ours have calmed down a bit but they're not known collectively as "the housewreckers" for nothing.
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Blimey - July already! Since the school holidays will be starting this month I think I'm going to up my budget to £150.

Good luck everyone!
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Okay so £22.57 spent to date for July.

2kg white onions, 1.5kg red onions, 1.5kg oven chips, 1.5kg crinkle cut chips, 2kg frozen peas, a 1,334g butternut squah, 1,076g cabbage, iceberg lettuce, 1kg easy peelers, 1kg peanut butter, 2 tins aduki beans, tin of beans, 2 crispy seaweed (in freezer), bottle of sriracha, Alpro coconut yogurt and 5 packs chewing gum.
    Not too bad in my opinion.

£22.57/£155.
    £132.43 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • stoopy
    stoopy Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just spent another £13.19 on the stuff I forgot making a total of £36.94.
    Grocery Challenge Jul £380.75 Aug £637 Sep £539.82 Oct £53.43 / £475
    EF 3-6 challenge #104 £739.25/£10000
    MFW2018 #183 0/£2000
  • JingsMyBucket
    JingsMyBucket Posts: 791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Evening everyone. Just one spend to record today. €21.08 at Delhaize for yoghurt x 2, lettuce, green beans, cream, YS ground lamb, dietetic ice cream, and some other stuff. One of the items I got was a bag of "funny vegetables" in French or what would be "wonky veg" in British English. Delhaize is one of the supermarkets that's touting weirdly shaped veg as a way to reduce food waste. The bag was only €1 and had a large eggplant, a long cucumber, a zucchini, and a big red tomato in it. None of them look funny at all to me! I think this particular branch is using it as a way to reduce stock in general. Fine with me; I'm willing to try it. :D

TOTAL SO FAR:
    €59.08 / €400.00
    0 / 12 NSD

When I got home and started making dinner I realized that we're low on olive oil. I'll have to buy some later this week. Phooey! I was trying to keep things down for the rest of the week, even by putting back several items while at the store. Anyway, after getting olive oil this week, I'll also stop by Lidl to buy a new supply of toilet paper so I don't have to worry about that for the next month either. Between the veg I bought yesterday and today, we should be just fine for the week.

Which leads me to...while trying to Tetris the YS ground lamb in the freezer drawer, it hit home to me how much there is in the freezer right now and I took a mini inventory:
    • Pork belly strips
    • Lox (smoked salmon from Ikea)
    • Salmon fillet
    • Small sandwich buns
    • Good sourdough bread
    • Beef and pork soup base
    • Duck leg
    • Ham shank
    • Pumpkin soup
    • Ground lamb
    • Broccoli
    • Cauliflower rice
    • Cauliflower
    • Cubed pumpkin
    • Black Forest ham
    • Frozen berries
    • Black pudding
    • Leeks

:eek: When you count that plus all the stuff I bought in France from M & S that is currently in the fridge, I really need to start eating everything down! That is quite sobering. :(
  • Snorky6
    Snorky6 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Completed first weekly shop. I had a list and stuck to it, paying attention to all the prices to get the cheapest version. I'm hoping as I have done a meal plan I won't have to do a top up shop. This also includes household items as well so not too bad. Better than last week which was over £100.:eek:

Total £70.39/£300
    £229.61 left
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Popped to B$M today managed to get some lunch box bits as well as some meal items like passata and egg noddles, spent £11.26. Then popped to Mr T's, got fruit, some other meal items and some wine, whilst it's on 25% off. I also had some MOC's off the wine so made it pretty cheap. Spent £33.66.
    I've got a MOC for Mr S so will use that on wed/thurs to get some more fruit/veg and some bread etc for the weekend.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • Hi All

I've been a lurker for quite a while but now have to really put my mind to cutting down on our food shop due to a cut in income. We are a family of 4, 3 adults and a nearly 5 year old most of the time but have my sons family (2 more adults and 2 small grandchildren) for Sunday lunch/BBQ most weeks. I really don't know how folks manage on their budgets and can only hope to get better myself bit by bit. I've only got £215.00 left this month due to a family party last weekend but myself and husband are away on hols for a week so it will be a shorter month to stretch the money. I've loads in the freezer so will be relying on that and my cupboards. I also have a veg box for the next 2 weeks which is already paid for.

Flowergirl72 x
    July 18 £0.00/£215.00
  • Sewinglady
    Sewinglady Posts: 14 Forumite
    So, it's payday and time for my first shop. I have planned the week's meals out, checked the freezer and store cupboard and stuck to my list. So - how did the bill end up being £78.68? / £250 Well, truthfully, there was three weeks worth of dog food there but I have still got some work to do! On a more positive front, I wanted some cooked chicken but spotted a yellow stickered set of chicken breasts which I will cook tonight and slice - freezing some for next week. If nothing else, this challenge is keeping me focussed.
    Grocery Challenge - July
    £116.87/ £250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family