Halifax suspended account.

Options

Comments

• Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 April 2018 at 10:01AM
    Options
    I think at this point my desire to help my Father would overcome my understanding of the bank's duty of care and security measures.

Is there a pay-in book for his NatWest account? It doesn't take long to order one.

I would probably get a letter from Father's doctor/carer, get £1700 from my accounts, walk to the Halifax branch and ask them for an envelope with bank's logo, get a Halifax headed A4 template (online of from their correspondence) and write an apologetic letter to my Father on behalf of the local branch manager. I would then put my money with the letter into the envelope and give it to my Father, offering to put the funds into his NatWest account using the Pay-in book.
  • geoffibs
    geoffibs Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've thought of that and really tempted too but it only takes a letter from them or something similar, especially as I've lodged a complaint and he'll know I've deceived him which is the last thing I want for him right now.
  • geoffibs
    Options
    I've just tried to follow up on the complaint. Nobody would chase for me so tried through the Halifax Cancer care line and they enquired for me.

Guess what? There is no record even though I have a confirmation email. Nothing they can do, I have to start the process again.

I just can't believe this.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    edited 13 April 2018 at 3:53PM
    Options
    Escalate internally. To the Top.

antonio dot osorio@lloydsbanking dot com
  • forestwn6
    forestwn6 Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    MP and local councilors along with the Press.
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would contact your local evening newspaper who would highlight this case.
  • geoffibs
    Options
    Thanks, I've written to the press and just waiting to hear back.

Halifax (Local branch) won't escalate as they have said the decision is final. I've even asked on their twitter pages who I can speak to and they all just go quiet or so there is nothing they can do.
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    geoffibs wrote: »
    Thanks, I've written to the press and just waiting to hear back.

Halifax (Local branch) won't escalate as they have said the decision is final. I've even asked on their twitter pages who I can speak to and they all just go quiet or so there is nothing they can do.

1. Is there a cheque book? Perhaps your Father might consider giving cheques which would be cashed later?
    2. Have you considered making an appointment with a manager at a different branch?
  • geoffibs
    Options
    No cheque book unfortunately as it's a saving account.

I've not asked another manager but every dept. I've spoken to when they look at the notes on the account tell me there is nothing they can do, a decision has been made at director level. The local branch manager was all for helping but didn't get the all clear from above.

Nobody will give me any names or contacts of decision makers, they just keep hiding behind "the decision is final."
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 April 2018 at 3:06PM
    Options
    https://www.halifax.co.uk/securityandprivacy/privacy/proving-your-identity/

It says "bring", but would it be possible for certified documents to be sent by post or taken down to the branch by a family member?

Perhaps his doctor/priest/solicitor etc would be willing to certify?

Otherwise, set up a simple loan agreement letter. Your father acknowledges the debt and you claim the money back from his estate after his passing?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure