Halifax suspended account.

geoffibs
geoffibs Posts: 21 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 10 April 2018 at 3:08PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
My father has terminal leukaemia and has chosen to come home. Apart from pain management all treatment has stopped and it is purely palliative care.

He wanted to transfer around £1700 (leaving £1 in) from his Halifax savings account to his Natwest current account so he can sort out his affairs and give some money to his family "with a warm hand" as the saying goes because he thought this would be easier.

He went online and couldn't remember the passwords so reset them easily enough and started the transfer. On the final page it stated it was pending and to call their what we now know was the fraud number.

Being 83 he couldn't remember half the things they asked and so they have suspended the account as they weren't satisfied he was genuine. They advised he could go into the local branch with ID and it would be released. He told them he was bed-ridden and on oxygen and she said "how can you be making this call then" Clearly she has no understanding of nasal oxygen delivery (6ml rate so not a small amount either!). She said there was nothing she could do. I asked for solutions and eventually she said it may be possible for a home visit to verify id. I had to keep on at her saying there must be a solution for this sort of situation as she wasn't going to even tell me that.

I went to my local branch to see if they would do a home visit under the circumstances and they were great and the Manager was happy to, subject to director approval. I received a call later that day to say approval wasn't granted. The decision was made by the Directors and security team. I asked them what I could do and they said as far as Halifax were concerned, unless my father can go to the branch in with I.D. then there is nothing. The account will remain blocked.

I have lodged a formal complaint but heard nothing. It has only been a week but my Dad is distraught. He wants everything finalised and in order. The day it happened he needed medication as he got so upset by it.

I understand the fraud side of things and it is actually reassuring. (although no need for the snotty comment they made). The issue is that they have my fathers money and he has no means of getting it. Halifax just refuse a home visit. I asked for other ways to resolve it and they said sorry, there is nothing they can do. I even suggested a doctors letter to re-enforce his inability to attend physically. It all fell on deaf ears. They just didn't want to know.

The Ombudmans site says something along the lines of they won't be able to help until complaints procedure with bank is complete or 8 weeks after formal complaint I think it is but it will be too late then.

I enquired about closing the account but because he opened it online, there is no record of his signature so they can't close it by hand written letter. It can't be closed online because it is frozen. The local branch sympathises with me but has said there is nothing they can do.I have even offered to pay for the home visit but this was also refused.

As well as the upset of this and he can't do what he wants with his own money, my father being old school believes the money will be lost when he passes no matter how much I try to reassure him. This is really eating at him literally on his deathbed. I can't believe the bank is so heartless. Even the local branch said they can sometimes be too black and white about things. I have obviously offered to give him the money and I will sort later but he gets frustrated and says it's not the same as he wants HIS money to give out as he pleases. He feels it wouldn't be finalised in his mind. I can understand that.

Any idea on what he can do and quite quickly? Sorry this is a little emotive but I just want my pops at ease. The poor fella has been through enough.

Thank you for listening and any advice.

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    It's an unfortunate situation, and not very well handled by Halifax, but I would suggest that the easiest solution is for him to make, or update, a will to reflect his wishes about what should happen to the money.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Get onto the local media. Tell them the story, and that you are being effectively asked to hire a wheeled hospital bed and push your dad down to the branch...
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Do you have power of attorney for your father?
  • Superscrooge
    Superscrooge Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Halifax have a 'cancer support team' which should give you more help than you have received so far?

https://www.halifax.co.uk/banking-with-halifax/extra-support/long-term-health-condition/
  • elly68
    elly68 Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    gp can confirm id with a letter for bank
    So finally debt free and it feels amazing however continuing here to stay debt free.Next declutter house and body and finally swim under that waterfall x
  • geoffibs
    Brilliant information, thank you everyone. I'll pursue now.

I've not got power of attorney. My Dad asked and Halifax said it would take weeks, sometimes months especially under the circumstances of the suspected fraudulent activity.
  • geoffibs
    Cancer support line have said there is nothing they can do. They can't influence any other departments procedures and will not get involved. They did try and speak to someone in complaints to see how far it had got but it looks like it's not been processed yet.

Rang the local branch to ask what I would need from the doctor and they said they won't accept any doctors letter. I said to escalate a possible home visit option, not for proof of id and they said it was irrelevant, a final decision has been made. There will be no home visit.

Media it is then. I'd even pay for this home visit. It's worth it for peace of mind for my Dad but they just refuse point blank. I think it is more annoying that there are things in place for this but they are refusing to do anything.
  • Fan_Of_2018
    Fan_Of_2018 Posts: 27 Forumite
    edited 11 April 2018 at 4:21PM
    Just checked the Which? bank ratings. Halifax is below average, but would love to help knock them lower after reading about such behavior. Anyone know where you can take part in such surveys?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Just checked the Which? bank ratings. Halifax is below average, but would love to help knock them lower after reading about such behavior. Anyone know where you can take part in such surveys?
    While I'm very sympathetic to OP and family, and correspondingly unimpressed with Halifax's intransigence, I can't see much value in someone wanting to corrupt a survey process by tailoring a response based on anecdotal and anonymous information that doesn't impact them personally in any way....
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Halifax are awful. I used to have a lot of accounts with them, including my mortgage, but not any more. Last year I took car insurance out with them and that has been a nightmare. Their call centre people are uptight and treat callers as being in the wrong until they can prove otherwise, and they deliberately ask security questions that you can't possibly know on the spot and then refuse point blank to even speak to you. Awful, awful company and I sympathise with what your father has gone through with this OP.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure