Car insurance - Avoid insuring with RCIB - Right Choice Insurance Brokers

I will like to bring all those people searching for cheap car insurance to the attention of the sharp practices imposed by RCIB - Right Choice Insurance Brokers.

My Experience today Wednesday 10/03/2010:
After searching numerous price comparison sites for a cheap car insurance quote, I found RCIB to be the cheapest on both confused.com and gocompare so went on to buy car insurance from them online.

The price quoted on both sites was approx £960 and this was the amount I paid for when completing payment online. However once payment complete I got a call from RCIB to confirm the details I entered to get that quote. I was extremely shocked to hear the sales rep state that I had been quoted wrongly and the actual price for insuring with them is approx £1333 (38% increase). Hearing that I asked if he could refund the amount I paid (so i can get insured elsewhere) however his reply was that I would incur an administration fee for a refund even though they (RCIB) themselves were responsible for providing me with an incorrect quotation. Having argued my point for a full refund with the sales rep (at this point i started recording the phone call, contact me for a listen) I was put on hold for over half an hour then to be told the sales manager would be in contact with me in 10 minutes. I did get this call at 4.55pm and just as i was about to explain the whole scenario I was told by this man that he finishes work at 5pm so I would have to email him the details of the issue and he will respond tomorrow.

That was my experience of Right Choice Insurance Brokers (RCIB) so let this be a warning to you all and I wish no one to ever go through the same. I am now left not knowing whether my car is insured, out of pocket and having to hitch a ride home leaving my car in the work car park (in order to avoid 6 points which is the penalty for driving without insurance)

I will persue RCIB tomorrow and let you guys know the outcome of my issue.

Please do post any suggestions as to how I could resolve this issue and get a full refund or get RCIB to honour their initial quote for car insurance. Also would be interesting to know your experiences with this insurer.

Many thanks

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    They do not have their Terms and Conditions on their website, did they give you a copy during the sales process and if so what does it say about cancelling within the 14 day cooling off period?
  • Vickib23
    Vickib23 Posts: 9 Forumite
    I bought my first car on Friday 2nd April. Before I bought the car I went online to get quotes for the insurance to make sure I could afford it. The best quote was from Right choice Insurance services at £850 a year so I accepted the quote and paid £215 deposit online. I then drove the car home, and about an hour later the insurance company called me. It turns out they had taken my deposit but not set up the policy. I had been driving around with no insurance!!!! They said they wanted to clarify my details before setting it up!!! I'm currently a learner driver and only have my provisional licence and the first thing the man on the phone said was that they were the only insurance company who would not increase my premium when I passed my test. He then mumbled something and put me on hold. He came back and advised me that as i was a learner driver the price was going to be higher than what was quoted online!! He said that I could either pay £1200 in installmetns (Giving them an extra £100 deposit) but when I passed my test my premium would increase to £2200 or I could pay them £1700 in a lump sum now and my price would stay the same. He said I wouldn't be able to get insurance anywhere else! I took the £1200 option but I have since found a much better quote with a more reputable company which I want to take out.

Does anyone know if I will get my deposit back if I cancel within 14 days?
  • Vickib23 wrote: »
    I bought my first car on Friday 2nd April. Before I bought the car I went online to get quotes for the insurance to make sure I could afford it. The best quote was from Right choice Insurance services at £850 a year so I accepted the quote and paid £215 deposit online. I then drove the car home, and about an hour later the insurance company called me. It turns out they had taken my deposit but not set up the policy. I had been driving around with no insurance!!!! They said they wanted to clarify my details before setting it up!!! I'm currently a learner driver and only have my provisional licence and the first thing the man on the phone said was that they were the only insurance company who would not increase my premium when I passed my test. He then mumbled something and put me on hold. He came back and advised me that as i was a learner driver the price was going to be higher than what was quoted online!! He said that I could either pay £1200 in installmetns (Giving them an extra £100 deposit) but when I passed my test my premium would increase to £2200 or I could pay them £1700 in a lump sum now and my price would stay the same. He said I wouldn't be able to get insurance anywhere else! I took the £1200 option but I have since found a much better quote with a more reputable company which I want to take out.

Does anyone know if I will get my deposit back if I cancel within 14 days?

You should check their Terms of Business but you should get a 14 day cooling off period to change your mind. I am not sure if you will incur any charges for this though.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Did you buy it from moneysupermarket?
  • Vickib23
    Vickib23 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Bought thru gocompare. tried to cancel and they wanted me to pay £180 canx fee even tho I was in cooling off period. They soon changed thier mind when I said I was reporting them to FSA for breaching the treating customers fairly rule. They obviously know that what they're doing is wrong.
  • RCIB= ZERO INTEGRITY..
    I guess it's my turn to talk of my ordeal with this "scums". I went though moneysupermarket, and within 20 minutes I had a call back to say that they want to revise my information that I put through, and I'm extremely cautious person anyway and don't like fraud and fruadsters.
    The initial quote from moneysupermarket was £800, but they rung back to say that the revised fees are £1,200, but will talk to his manager for a favourable fee after I said no, and came back with another revised fee of £950, and I said NO, and again went back to speak to his manager and came with another fee of £850, and at this point it was clear to me that this people were not professionals and knew what they were doing i.e. get more money from law abiding people through fraudulent means. RCIB is registered with FSA but I guess no one has brought a case against them and if they keep my money, I will be the first to put a case against them and will let you how I get on.
    I will be surprised if any of their employees or decision makers are professional chartered insurers with CII... In which case we will have a body to take action against RCIB.

I suggest we demand for our money and failure for full refund within 14 days, then reporting to FSA and other regulating bodies (if any) is the way forward.

I don't think they deserve to deduct an admin fee of £45 as they haven't done anything after all, and all they did was inconvenience us and I'm unable to drive my car because they have taken my money.
  • ventricas wrote: »
    RCIB= ZERO INTEGRITY..
    I guess it's my turn to talk of my ordeal with this "scums". I went though moneysupermarket, and within 20 minutes I had a call back to say that they want to revise my information that I put through, and I'm extremely cautious person anyway and don't like fraud and fruadsters.
    The initial quote from moneysupermarket was £800, but they rung back to say that the revised fees are £1,200, but will talk to his manager for a favourable fee after I said no, and came back with another revised fee of £950, and I said NO, and again went back to speak to his manager and came with another fee of £850, and at this point it was clear to me that this people were not professionals and knew what they were doing i.e. get more money from law abiding people through fraudulent means. RCIB is registered with FSA but I guess no one has brought a case against them and if they keep my money, I will be the first to put a case against them and will let you how I get on.
    I will be surprised if any of their employees or decision makers are professional chartered insurers with CII... In which case we will have a body to take action against RCIB.

I suggest we demand for our money and failure for full refund within 14 days, then reporting to FSA and other regulating bodies (if any) is the way forward.

I don't think they deserve to deduct an admin fee of £45 as they haven't done anything after all, and all they did was inconvenience us and I'm unable to drive my car because they have taken my money.
    Hi,
    I have got same experience and if you wanted to report FSA regarding a matter than I will support as well.
    I got quote online was £900 and when I phone it come up £958.04, I paid that money on that day 24/7/11 and during weekend I found cheaper so I call on 26/7/11 about refund because my actual insurance date is two week away from the date of quote and they said I need to pay £54.58 as an admin fee.
    I agree and now waiting for their refund.
    I wish I could received but not then I complain to FSA.
    Never buy any insurance from RCIB its look like doggy and fraud.
  • hi all how long did it take RCIB to refund you? were there any futher issues?

seems like they are still at it, with requoting customers..
  • Hi guys,
    I wonder if you could help me as its seems some people are having problems with RCIB insurance. I recently purchased car insurance from them online through a search engine and I was given a quote however when I got the call from the operator they claimed I put some details in wrong which was not the case as I checked it before I submitted it. Anyway, they explained they would send me a cover note and failed to do so and when I rang them they said they were really busy and I would get one emailed to me in the next hour. I never received a cover note so I couldn’t drive my car as I wasn’t sure if I was insurance.
    I decided I wasn’t happy with their policy so decided to cancel it. I know as part of FSA 7.1.1 ICOBS that they are not allowed to charge a penalty however after arguments with them saying it’s in their terms and conditions that they are allowed. I decided to cancel it and am in the process of writing the letter. There are claiming I owe them 10% for the policy and a £45 cancellation fee. I wonder if any of you can help me and let me know if you every got the full amount back and how you went about doing it. I was thinking of reporting them to FSA or other organisations such as watchdog ect but just need so advice. Please help. Thank you.
  • ****Sorry to post on an old thread, but as my issue is resolved I am looking to simply add to the info on here for anyone to find when googling RCIB**

My experience is very similar to the above, I appear to have been lucky though.

I found RCIB the cheapest quote through price comparison (£550) and bought online, after paying the screen read 'you are not insured until we have contacted you' - at this point assumed this could be normal, only bought car insurance online the once before.

After half an hour I received a call, from 10 seconds in this was clearly a sales call (forced rapport, !!! kissing, unnatural flow) as above this was to 'clarify the details' - baring in mind I had already given the info to comparethemarket AND confirmed it on the RCIB website.

Because I wa on my parents insurance for my first 3 years of driving, I have held a license for 5y but have 2y no claims and no incidents - I explained this, I was then asked for proof I was driving for the full 5 years by the way of providing my fathers insurance documents. I told the rep I couldn't do this as I don't talk to my dad anymore, at which point he told me the quote would increase to £690.

I protested, he said if I got the proof it would be around £590. I simply said no. He placed me on hold and said if I got the proof he would do the £550 but it was shaving their cut off blah blah... as if he was doing me a favour (by getting the price I had paid?!).

I told him that wasn't acceptable and asked for a refund, he said there was a £45 cancelation fee. I argued a while, as I had done nothing wrong, the info was correct, he said the t&c's said assumptions would be made and all insurers would ask for this (not in my experience) and that the website said to call before buying if you werent sure of anything so I asked to speak to a supervisor - as it was a Saturday I accepted that there was one for their floor and he was busy, and agreed to call back Monday.

I had thought this through thoroughly before calling, and having called monday morning to get the same guy I spoke to Saturday, and to be told the supervisor wasn't in till 11, I called Monday evening - I did speak to a different rep at first, and after a while on hold was passed back to the first guy (small office) who said an underwriter said is wasnt worth the fuss and I could have my refund.

I was ready to argue they were the ones cancelling, that any assumptions were correct and they couldnt prove otherwise, and that there was no way I would think to call and question this and all else fails claim I'd go to trading standards (as this clearly smelled of scam) or FOS (to try and make it not worth their while as I figured FOS would at least look into the case, which would get them a fine if nothing else).

As I say, I feel I was lucky, but would not reccomend RCIB - the way I was handled screamed scam and upsell.

(I bet they'd have done me out of my meerkat too...)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback