Solar Newbie

I've been interested in renewables for some time, but don't really know / understand lot!

I would like to get a Solar system, so used Ikea's on line tool to get a quote. My roof is south facing and apparently I can have 18 x 270w panels for £5600 ish - I live in the south west

I'm using 6500 kwh a year today, so I'm keen to cut my bills - would I still be in time to benefit from FIT or is it to late?

I'm really looking for some guidance on what I should be looking for and what realistically I would need to pay

Comments

• tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Price doesn't seem too bad for a 4.86kWp system and if you're quick you can still get the FiT(end of March if i remember correctly)
    Does your roof suffer from ANY shading? Important as if yes you'll need to deviate from a standard string inverter system to something on the lines of solaredge or enphase. These systems are designed to cope with shading (very effectively) but will come at a higher cost.
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'm with tunnel (Oh er missus!) price, size etc seem good, nice start. And with 6,500kWh usage, PV would most certainly benefit you more than most with leccy savings, assuming it's not all nighttime consumption.

Two months is plenty of time for FiT, but perhaps start checking up on all the rules - I assume the FiT application has to be submitted AND RECEIVED before April, but check all this and stay on the ball.

Happy hunting.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • I spoke to these guys but despite getting an online quote they to,d me they can’t fit them to my roof. I know that’s not true and the roof direction is perfect. I can only think they don’t want to take on more work.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I spoke to these guys but despite getting an online quote they to,d me they can’t fit them to my roof. I know that’s not true and the roof direction is perfect. I can only think they don’t want to take on more work.
    Hi

Is it a case that you saw pricing details of an example offer for an 18 panel system and when you've followed up with the supplier they've said that there's not enough roof space for that number of panels? .... the first question revolves around what are the dimensions of the roof plane you're looking to install on, from that you'll be able to calculate the number of panels & therefore the maximum system capacity.

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I spoke to these guys but despite getting an online quote they to,d me they can’t fit them to my roof. I know that’s not true and the roof direction is perfect. I can only think they don’t want to take on more work.
    Or could it even be that they felt the access to the roof was inadequate ?
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

Is it a case that you saw pricing details of an example offer for an 18 panel system and when you've followed up with the supplier they've said that there's not enough roof space for that number of panels? .... the first question revolves around what are the dimensions of the roof plane you're looking to install on, from that you'll be able to calculate the number of panels & therefore the maximum system capacity.

HTH
    Z
    They told me that my roof was not big enough for their smallest system - I think it’s 6 panels the smallest.
    Access to roof I doubt they’d even know as they just did a desk top survey. Found it very odd how they were determined not to do it. They did tell me other solar providers would probably be able to do it. I just assumed at that point they don’t need the work.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    They told me that my roof was not big enough for their smallest system - I think it’s 6 panels the smallest.
    Access to roof I doubt they’d even know as they just did a desk top survey. Found it very odd how they were determined not to do it. They did tell me other solar providers would probably be able to do it. I just assumed at that point they don’t need the work.
    Hi

So, as previously asked, what size is the roof you want to have a system installed on?

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

So, as previously asked, what size is the roof you want to have a system installed on?

HTH
    Z
    I don’t the know the exact measurement but other companies can fit 11 panels which would include 3 on the garage roof.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure