Bike Servicing Offer

Thought I'd share this:
https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/info/bike-servicing-special-offer/

Good offer if you live near one of their shops!

Comments

• Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    What is the special offer, the free Muc-off product? The prices seem high compared to what I pay to my local LBS although they look similar to the big brand shops.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    What is the special offer, the free Muc-off product? The prices seem high compared to what I pay to my local LBS although they look similar to the big brand shops.

Cycle servicing prices have gone through the roof over the past couple of years and the £100+ charge is fairly common. Suspect cycle mechanics are looking at car servicing prices as a target to aim for.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I service my own cars so have some mechanical knowledge. I taught myself how to service and repair bikes including wheel building exclusively using YouTube videos. The parts needed are incredibly cheap. I would never now need to pay a bike shop for any work. It amazes me how as the resources needed to DIY have improved people's willingness to do so has disintegrated.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 1 February 2019 at 2:05AM
    fred246 wrote: »
    I service my own cars so have some mechanical knowledge. I taught myself how to service and repair bikes including wheel building exclusively using YouTube videos. The parts needed are incredibly cheap. I would never now need to pay a bike shop for any work. It amazes me how as the resources needed to DIY have improved people's willingness to do so has disintegrated.

It's nothing to do with 'willingness', I'll sort parts out on my bike as time suits but when it doesn't, I'll hand it over to my bike shop who charge a fraction of the price of those quoted above and the bike is ready for me when I come off shift. I'd much rather spend a small amount of money and spend the time riding rather than spending the time repairing/servicing the bike and not riding it.

The service for the following mucky mess was £35 which included stripping down most of the bike, servicing and cleaning the bike. It did need a fair bit of work replacing the moving parts as it was a brutal 24 hour race with very abrasive mud but had the bike ready for when I finished work.

DSC03130-X2.jpg

John
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    You could employ any number of servants who could attend to your every need so you could spend all your time riding your bike. However, employing an army of servants is expensive and this is a MONEY SAVING EXPERT site. It's for people to share money saving ideas.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    fred246 wrote: »
    You could employ any number of servants who could attend to your every need so you could spend all your time riding your bike. However, employing an army of servants is expensive and this is a MONEY SAVING EXPERT site. It's for people to share money saving ideas.

What about ideas on how to employ an army of servants less expensively?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure