PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Have I been mis sold?

124»

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I suspect I'd buy another rug ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,106 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    We moved into a house with a large kitchen/diner with vinyl flooring.

In one are this was raised and lumpy, as I discovered when I washed the floor.

We lifted the vinyl and discovered that when the concrete floor had been laid they had mixed concrete on this bit of floor and left the unused stuff there, causing a solid raised patch.

All it took was to chisel that away to make the floor level.

The people we bought from did the renovations so must have just laid the vinyl over the lump.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 August 2018 at 5:12PM
    I have a feeling there are cheaper solutions than the ones the OP has been presented with but without pictures we don't have any information to help.

I lived in a rental with a crumbling concrete floor, LL wouldn't fix, so used self-leveling compound and it was ok for four years.

The seller might have known about it but its proving they did. The surveyor is covered by their contract, unfortunately. Its a difficult situation.

I agree its probably best to spend time finding the cheapest effective solution. Even if you win a court case, you then have to get the money off the defendant. Normally Age UK do have help they can give with repairs. Councils will sometimes help as well to keep people in their own homes. Just maybe, if the OP concentrates on repairs rather than reparation, there will be more help. I hope so.
  • BSW89
    BSW89 Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    belvalpat wrote: »
    Today was my first visit to the forum and it will sadly be my last. I send my thanks to most of the well meaning members who responded – I am truly grateful for giving me things to consider. Some however were disappointing and I found hurtful.
    So to the writer of:
    …..internet aware enough to find this site and post here but you can’t google how to go to the small claims court? Did you not ask your solicitor when they suggested it? Why do you feel you need specific advice because you are elderly……..
    I say:in future read the full details before you respond. You too may need help and assistance in the future as you arrive to your old age. Yes – its in the post for us all – there is no getting away from it.

Sorry - I have no advice for you and would have no idea where to start, but having just read through this thread I’m also disappointed by the harsh tone of some replies to your ask for help - forum or not, we are all just human beings communicating through a different medium. I’m glad you received some useful input, and wish you the best of luck in resolving the problem.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 August 2018 at 6:33PM
    BSW89 wrote: »
    Sorry - I have no advice for you and would have no idea where to start, but having just read through this thread I!!!8217;m also disappointed by the harsh tone of some replies to your ask for help - forum or not, we are all just human beings communicating through a different medium. I!!!8217;m glad you received some useful input, and wish you the best of luck in resolving the problem.

The thing is if you take a look at any of threads on this board you will find that its not very often that every single poster agrees with the OP or indeed eachother.Thats what an open forum is,a medium for debate on several levels if needed.

Some posters are very detailed with their answers and other its just a short sharp statement in reply,it makes neither of them less valid but the short sharp ones can at times come across as less caring.
    Some people like to relate their personal experiences whilst for others its just post the reply and move on.
    Neither type of post is best its just what suits some doesn't always suit all.

Its also very difficult sometimes for particularly a new user to post all the relevant facts in a few lines within an opening post so inevitably the first few replies may not always hit the spot of what the OP was hoping to get as an answer,and sometimes the full facts don't become clear until several pages in.

OP if you are still reading this,read it all even the bad,dont take it to heart everyone has different ways of conveying a message and its not always in the format you want but on the whole its never personal,so please don't take it as such.
    If you really feel that someone has overstepped the mark with a reply then there is a report button you can use to alert the forum team who will adjudicate the post and modify if necessary.

Its sometimes hard for anyone to put down in words what seems so much easier to say face to face and even regional variations or terms that maybe someone uses as standard in the north of the country can be interpreted by a southerner differently.You'll also get different people focusing in on different areas of the question,sometimes that leads to an answer but sometimes it takes things in a different direction.As the OP you have to make a judgement over what is relevant to you and your situation and discard comments that don't fit.

Its also very difficult to know how to approach an answer when ultimately you have no idea who you are actually replying to,both in terms of being the OP or the person replying. even the most seasoned posters on this thread probably know little or nothing about eachother,other than what they read here.

(We may often say oh so and so is knowledgeable or respected but the truth is none of us have anything to really base that on other than what that person writes and we read)

Just remember if the whole world answered the question in the way you wanted it wouldn't be the pace it is, colourful vibrant and with emotion.

If you were to ask 100 people the same question requiring a simple answer its unlikely that you will ever get 100 identical answers.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • BSW89
    BSW89 Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The thing is if you take a look at any of threads on this board you will find that its not very often that every single poster agrees with the OP or indeed eachother.Thats what an open forum is,a medium for debate on several levels if needed.

Some posters are very detailed with their answers and other its just a short sharp statement in reply,it makes neither of them less valid but the short sharp ones can at times come across as less caring.
    Some people like to relate their personal experiences whilst for others its just post the reply and move on.

Its also very difficult sometimes for particularly a new user to post all the relevant facts in a few lines within an opening post so inevitably the first few replies may not always hit the spot of what the OP was hoping to get as an answer,and sometimes the full facts don't become clear until several pages in.

OP if you are still reading this,read it all even the bad,dont take it to heart everyone has different ways of conveying a message and its not always in the format you want but on the whole its never personal,so please don't take it as such.
    If you really feel that someone has overstepped the mark with a reply then there is a report button you can use to alert the forum team who will adjudicate the post and modify if necessary.

Its sometimes hard for anyone to put down in words what seems so much easier to say face to face and even regional variations or terms that maybe someone uses as standard in the north of the country can be interpreted by a southerner differently.You'll also get different people focusing in on different areas of the question,sometimes that leads to an answer but sometimes it takes things in a different direction.As the OP you have to make a judgement over what is relevant to you and your situation and discard comments that don't fit.

Its also very difficult to know how to approach an answer when ultimately you have no idea who you are actually replying to,both in terms of being the OP or the person replying. even the most seasoned posters on this thread probably know little or nothing about eachother,other than what they read here.

(We may often say oh so and so is knowledgeable or respected but the truth is none of us have anything to really base that on other than what that person writes and we read)

Just remember if the whole world answered the question in the way you wanted it wouldn't be the pace it is, colourful vibrant and with emotion.

If you were to ask 100 people the same question requiring a simple answer its unlikely that you will ever get 100 identical answers.

Absolutely agree everyone has different opinions and ways of communicating, and to some extent that's the strength of a forum. You are right to remind us that people do have different communication styles and things shouldn't be taken personally. Many of the replies here were helpful and well-intentioned, but a few comments - I felt - were uncalled for, e.g. one user asking what appeared to be rhetorical questions about why the OP couldn't google the answer and why they needed specific advice because they were elderly.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 August 2018 at 12:56AM

A well considered and beautifully worded reply. :)

Out in the real world with faces, expression and body language it's much easier to tailor the way one addresses people. Here, there's nothing to go on. Only 5% of communication is made of words (anyone else done a customer service/management training course?!) and much of the time you're not even blessed with a reply. This week, there's always a troll of some description. All one can really do is relay information and ask questions in a pretty straightforward manner until you pick up social cues. Any rapport (for want of a better word, perhaps) builds a few posts in. Today, in this thread, someone explains how they feel right at the end and there's no chance to react, particularly. But the honesty is very sweet.

If faced with a choice of being right or being nice, one should pick being nice. Online, it's very hard to be anything very quickly, but 'why' is the worst word to start a question with and there's simply no need to ask people why they're asking a question - if they don't know, they don't know. They're here for the right reason.

I do remember this board when it didn't have the same name and hadn't been subdivided and we sang virtual songs, giggled with each other and wrote page after page about Property Ladder each week. That was lovely fun and I have one of my best friends and some other genuine friends from this board of old. The offer of erm, pictures, from some posters, not so much. I wonder who would even guess what I look like after all this time; would people expect me to have blue hair like my avatar? I suspect I come across like Anne Hegarty!

OP, I hope you come and take a look around the boards and find a community, because there are little ones dotted all over the place still, I think!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure