Ideas for October/November holiday

Options

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    michele-p wrote: »
    I did spot Phu Quoc yesterday, but couldn't see an easy way to get between the 2. Not fancying a full day on a bus/taxi. It looked beautiful though!
    I flew from HCMC to Phu Quoc about 25 years ago so it must be easy today, flights or crossings from Cambodia unlikely though. The western part of the island was off limits in those days because of occasional Khmer Rouge shelling from the nearby Cambodian mainland.

KLM flies to Bali daily, cheap hops to other islands from there.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I did spot Phu Quoc yesterday, but couldn't see an easy way to get between the 2. Not fancying a full day on a bus/taxi. It looked beautiful though!

From Siem Reap you'd fly via Ho Chi Minh City.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Luke1066
    Luke1066 Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    What about Mauritius. November is the start of the sunny season, KLM fly direct form Schiphol.

I would recommend https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g298342-d316743-Reviews-LUX_Belle_Mare-Belle_Mare.html we stayed here a couple of years ago and was wonderful. There other resort on the island was closed and fully refurbished this year https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g488104-d316747-Reviews-LUX_Grand_Gaube-Grand_Gaube.html
  • chiny
    chiny Posts: 193 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Must be Asia ? How about South America; great variety of geography and climate to suit your taste, beaches (why long haul to a beach), cities (edgy) and vast open spaces of every conceivable type. 3000 metres up walking... puff puff... interesting "tea" helps allegedly. Wild life you haven't seen since that last TV series.
    Oct/Nov great time to visit most locations.

And your friends won't have been; there are some stunning photos to be sent.

Careful though; its addictive and you'll want to return.
  • michele-p
    michele-p Posts: 820 Forumite
    Options
    Luke1066 wrote: »
    What about Mauritius. November is the start of the sunny season, KLM fly direct form Schiphol.

I would recommend https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g298342-d316743-Reviews-LUX_Belle_Mare-Belle_Mare.html we stayed here a couple of years ago and was wonderful. There other resort on the island was closed and fully refurbished this year https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g488104-d316747-Reviews-LUX_Grand_Gaube-Grand_Gaube.html

Wow that does look beautiful! Did you get out and about much when you were there? One thing I'm not keen on is staying by the hotel the whole time, we like to get out and explore too.
  • michele-p
    Options
    chiny wrote: »
    Must be Asia ? How about South America; great variety of geography and climate to suit your taste, beaches (why long haul to a beach), cities (edgy) and vast open spaces of every conceivable type. 3000 metres up walking... puff puff... interesting "tea" helps allegedly. Wild life you haven't seen since that last TV series.
    Oct/Nov great time to visit most locations.

And your friends won't have been; there are some stunning photos to be sent.

Careful though; its addictive and you'll want to return.

We're happy to consider anywhere, do you have a particular recommendation to start my research? It's not just beach we're after, but it does help if it looks like a bounty bar advert! The reason for long haul is the time of year, we've seen a lot of Europe, and want to venture further again.
  • Luke1066
    Luke1066 Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    Wow that does look beautiful! Did you get out and about much when you were there? One thing I'm not keen on is staying by the hotel the whole time, we like to get out and explore too.

We didn't as we were in Dubai for several days before and just wanted to unwind. Good reason for us to head back one day though.
    They have a resort in the Maldives also which we really want to visit, but its quite pricey.
  • prenton01
    prenton01 Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another vote for Phu Quoc we stayed there last year amazing place and so cheap

We flew with Vietnamese airlines from HCM for around £50 each return be aware though you need to book an early morning flight if you have connecting flight same day or stay in HCM for the night

Phu Quoc we had a 4 star beach hotel for £60 a night https://www.kimhoaresort.com/en-us

This was our beach loads to do of the beach as well

12187707_10153717316232813_903052822338254692_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=b5123aec920fb0b7bf01be37a769f107&oe=5C07B345
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We're happy to consider anywhere, do you have a particular recommendation to start my research? It's not just beach we're after, but it does help if it looks like a bounty bar advert! The reason for long haul is the time of year, we've seen a lot of Europe, and want to venture further again.

Have you beenBosnia & Herzegovina, Macedonia, or Romania [Transylvania]. You can get a full D-i-Y holiday for the price of a return long haul flight.

See my recent Transylvania trip report...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5735156

The Bodrum Peninsula in Turkey is another spot-on location, great beaches, and easy to get around by Dolmus [mini bus]...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4981533

But if you're still looking at Vietnam, South Vietnam trip report, same sort of time of year weatherwise that you want...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5341295

The more flights you have in Vietnam, ie including Phu Quoc, the more time you're going to be hanging around airports. Also beware, that internal flights, particularly late in the day are often delayed due to aircraft having to cover several domestic sectors a day and might have had to face different weather conditions. Another thing with domestic flights in Vietnam is that the earlier you book the flight the more likely the chance of the Schedule moving forward or back [happened several times for us], that can be frustrating if time is precious.
  • michele-p
    Options
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    The more flights you have in Vietnam, ie including Phu Quoc, the more time you're going to be hanging around airports. Also beware, that internal flights, particularly late in the day are often delayed due to aircraft having to cover several domestic sectors a day and might have had to face different weather conditions. Another thing with domestic flights in Vietnam is that the earlier you book the flight the more likely the chance of the Schedule moving forward or back [happened several times for us], that can be frustrating if time is precious.

Thanks for all your links, I have seen many of your travels over the years on here, so will have a good look through. I was just looking at Phu Quoc, but all the connections may make it a step too far if we also visited Siem Reap. I don't mind connecting in Amsterdam, then 1 more place - Bangkok/KL are both easy routes with lots of flights - then an internal flight/drive to anther location.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure