Ideas for October/November holiday

Hi all, I'm looking for inspiration for our next trip. We could be flexible on dates, but looking for something long haul / tropical with a wow factor, that's also cheap when you get there! !!!128540;

We would need to fly via klm the majority of the route as other half works for them, and we can go via schipol from Norwich.

To give an idea of what we've loved before, our first holiday together, 10 years ago was to Au nang area of Thailand. We lived the people and the place, especially Railey. We love to snorkel on beautiful beaches and white sand, but also like to get out and see things, not just sit on a beach.

My initial idea was Cambodia, a couple of days at Siem Reap to see the temples, then fly to a beautiful beach area. I've looked at Koh Rong Salmon, I read conflicting reports that the beaches are dirty, and the sea full of sewerage, but it does look stunning when I see it.

But where/what would anyone suggest?
The Philippines could be an idea, but I know nothing about where to start.

Places like the Maldives are out of our budget really, and possibly too quiet? We don't need to party, but do like a good evening buzz. We do definitely want longhaul, and both really don't like the likes of Tenerife, been to The Gambia etc.

Places in Europe we've loved has been Parga and the Greek ionian which is just beautiful.

It's such a 1st world problem, but I just need some inspiration! And to make sure we don't hit rainy season!

Comments

• Not sure what your budget is but we’ve been to Biyadhoo twice (Maldives) and although it’s the budget end it’s fabulous with a reef that’s one of the best for snorkelling and diving. Sri Lanka is also amazing but check when the monsoons are. Not sure if KLM fly there though.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Consider Siem Reap and Phu Quoc island and Ho Chi Minh city.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • michele-p
    michele-p Posts: 820 Forumite
    I did spot Phu Quoc yesterday, but couldn't see an easy way to get between the 2. Not fancying a full day on a bus/taxi. It looked beautiful though!
  • michele-p
    Sri Lanka has also bene on our "list" to visit I can't seem to work out the best months to go though, we'd love to go away this side of Christmas, but not if it's rainy season. Sir Lanka seems to have 2 monsoon seasons.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have a look at this...

https://www.selectiveasia.com/asia-holidays/weather/january

You can mess around with it. Select the country you want, then the month, and then look for smiley faces on the map. Obviously it's not perfect, but it'll give you a very good idea.

Value for money wise in SE Asia, I'd go for Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand in that order. Thailand, in particular can be quite expensive in the main tourist hot spots.
  • michele-p wrote: »
    Sri Lanka has also bene on our "list" to visit I can't seem to work out the best months to go though, we'd love to go away this side of Christmas, but not if it's rainy season. Sir Lanka seems to have 2 monsoon seasons.

We did a tour and then beach at the Lighthouse in Galle in December. Weather was great although we used to get torrential rain at about 4pm every day when we were in Galle.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    Have a look at this...

https://www.selectiveasia.com/asia-holidays/weather/january

You can mess around with it. Select the country you want, then the month, and then look for smiley faces on the map. Obviously it's not perfect, but it'll give you a very good idea.

Value for money wise in SE Asia, I'd go for Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand in that order. Thailand, in particular can be quite expensive in the main tourist hot spots.

Malaysia is worth throwing into the mix too. Not as cheap as Vietnam or Cambodia but still good value (apart from the price of alcohol as it's a Muslim country) and without the tourist excesses of some parts of Thailand. I'm not a massive fan of Kuala Lumpur but the rest of the country is incredible with some of the best food I've had anywhere.
  • michele-p
    Thank you, I'm busy looking at where has smiley faces! I like the page lists possible countries for each month.
  • michele-p
    edited 9 August 2018 at 10:10PM
    I'm busy looking Galle up, did any of the beaches look good for snorkelling? Or maybe too rough?
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    michele-p wrote: »
    Thank you, I'm busy looking at where has smiley faces! I like the page lists possible countries for each month.

Yeah, it contains a lot of very good information, and not just for SE Asia newbies. A lot of us who see ourselves as veterans of the Region sometimes forget about all the different weather patterns.

Just read you OP again, and you're not a complete newbie to the Region, so at least you'll have an idea what that part of the world can be like.

Get hold of good Guide Books from your local Library too. And use the online Wikivoyage pages to look at the destinations that interest you. This link'll tell you a lot about Cambodia...

http://www.canbypublications.com/

Don't try and be too ambitious with your itinerary. If you intend travelling round then travel can be slow sometimes, and frustrating. Less = More, and don't travel anywhere overnight by road.

It's usually very easy to book accommodation as you go along, which is very helpful if you decide you want to loiter somewhere, or get out a place in a hurry, or get a tummy big, or want to abandon Plan A for something else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure