Flipper.community energy saving?

Has anyone got any experience of using Flipper.community for their energy bills? Is it the best way to save money on energy bills or is MSE energy club or a few minutes doing your own comparison still worthwhile?

Thoughts?

Comments

• PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Why pay when it can be done yourself in minutes.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    mopatop wrote: »
    Has anyone got any experience of using Flipper.community for their energy bills? Is it the best way to save money on energy bills or is MSE energy club or a few minutes doing your own comparison still worthwhile?

Thoughts?

The great ‘unanswered’ question is ‘what criteria do these sites use to calculate a saving’?

If it is the Ofgem method, then they can switch you from a SVT to a fixed tariff and you might save, say’ £250. Three Hundred and Sixty four days later, they can switch you again and claim a saving of £200 but you end up with a deal that costs you £50 a year more.

My advice: do it yourself.
  • mopatop wrote: »

Thoughts?

Yes, paying £25 a year over and above your ongoing energy prices is a brilliant way to save money. :T

I offer the same for £100 a year, You could save even more that way :cool:
  • JenniferK
    JenniferK Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 August 2018 at 8:22AM
    Already on the cheapest tariff as varified by cheap energy club yet Flipper claimed that they could switch me to a tariff that would save me £50.28 a year. Flipper were provided with full details of my current energy supplier and factual usage. How is therefore possible for flipper to claim a saving of £50.28 ?????
  • PennineAcute
    Let's say you are on a 12 month tariff and 3 months into it. Flipper (most probably) will calculate the remaining 9 months you are on it and 3 months on your current suppliers standard tariff to calculated your next 12 months usage.

They will then compare this with the company they have recommend to you and produce a £50 saving. Which is true.
  • JenniferK
    Let's say you are on a 12 month tariff and 3 months into it. Flipper (most probably) will calculate the remaining 9 months you are on it and 3 months on your current suppliers standard tariff to calculated your next 12 months usage.

They will then compare this with the company they have recommend to you and produce a £50 saving. Which is true.

I'm with Pure Planet, which is a variable tariff so in this case your logic would not work.
  • PennineAcute
    edited 9 August 2018 at 10:15AM
    I have just done a quote for Pure Planet and it quoted me £629 for the year.

Doing a comparison for myself on the CAB, the cheapest I can get is £560, so maybe Flipper is telling the truth.

Screenshot_from_2018-08-09_10-09-04.pngjHqod9
  • I have never understood why people would pay for something that is free and takes 10 minutes to do a whole of market comparison via CAB or MSE.
  • JenniferK
    When I did the CAB comparison using same details supplied to Flipper Pure Planet was £21 more expensive for the area in which I live. I also did a check with Flipper using Powershop. Guess what - they still claim that they can save me over £50 which is the amount of savings that would allow Flipper to charge £25 for their services. Using Flipper would end up costing me money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure