Tales from The Shire

Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,694 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    :eek: I didn't think anything would grow this year so planted loads - got four yellow courgette plants :eek: plus an unknown number of round green courgettes, and a variety of summer and winter squash :eek: Labels came off and so far only the yellow courgettes have got fruit on so goodness knows what everything else is.

Too much of a good thing indeed :eek: Although my current fear is being buried under an avalance of cucumbers :eek: Fortunately Mr Cheery is trying some experimental pickles so that one might be solved before it starts :rotfl:
  • It's judging day for the WI entries at the Show today :eek: I'm hoping someone will contact me and let me know the results. I will busy myself with housework in the meantime.

I met up with a friend on Wednesday for a mooch around the market town. Lovely to have a catch up and a relaxed day. No money was spent except for lunch costs which will be met from personal spends. Supper was the remains of the Fish Stew we had on Tuesday.

Yesterday I was at home and caught up on the washing and other chores. We had a Cheesy Leek Baked Potato for lunch - just a lonely leek fried up and added to some cream, wholegrain mustard and cheddar. Supper was Runner Bean & Prosciutto Pasta made with some runner beans my neighbours gifted :) I didn't have any prosciutto so used Cubetti Di Pancetta instead. Oh, and I completed Week 2 of the Couch to 5K programme :T

The food shop was delivered. I'm wondering whether I need to increase my budget for food. It's becoming very difficult to stay within the budget I currently have. Is food becoming more expensive? As a result of the recent bad Winter? The glorious Summer? Brexit?

Some T£$co vouchers were delivered too :T And I've spent them ;) Well, not all of them. You now get 3 x the face value with all partners which means I can get more for my money on the D£nby website. And, they have a sale on at the moment too. So I have bought two frying pans to replace my current ones which have been devoid of all non-stickiness for years. £11 in vouchers for £32.50 worth of goods reduced from £65. They will match the lidded, saute pan I bought with my vouchers last time :D I still have £10 left in vouchers and might use those, and any I receive next time, to buy a magazine subscription. I don't buy magazines anymore as they are such an indulgence but with the T£$co vouchers they are much better value. Or I could buy more D£nby :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I have another Bay item to send off today and a further two have bids on them. Bay sales seem to be picking up now. Perhaps it's because of the School holidays?

Looking forward to the weekend. We'll be going to the show on Saturday and are invited round to the neighbours for a do on Sunday. It'll be nice to have a whole weekend of fun.

Hope your weekend is a good one too

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Food is definitely more expensive fortune. We have been tracking our spend for 3 years and this years is up by about £20 a month and we are not eating any different.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Dident know Denby did frying pans!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    Didn't know TEsc0 vouchers could be converted to use on D3nby! (I must stay strong - I have heaps of D3nby and actually sold some when we re-did the kitchen earlier this year as I discovered some I'd totally forgotten I had! :o)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Current sainsbugs mag has a courgette feature that you can access for free on line.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Food is definitely more expensive fortune. We have been tracking our spend for 3 years and this years is up by about £20 a month and we are not eating any different.

Thanks Purp. I will have a look at spends over the last year and crunch the numbers.
    beanielou wrote: »
    Dident know Denby did frying pans!

I only found out recently Beanie. Very handy as my frying pans had turned into sticking pans after so many years of use. I don't think I've bought a new frying pan for over twenty years :eek:
    greent wrote: »
    Didn't know TEsc0 vouchers could be converted to use on D3nby! (I must stay strong - I have heaps of D3nby and actually sold some when we re-did the kitchen earlier this year as I discovered some I'd totally forgotten I had! :o)

You could get twice the face value of your T£$co vouchers at D£nby until recently Greent. Then they changed things so you can now get three times the face value. Fantastic value and especially when there's a sale on.

I love D£nby's oven to tableware but I've only just realised they do kitchen accessories and all sorts of other things too.

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 August 2018 at 10:39AM
    My WI won first place in the town show :j:j:j

One of my paintings scored 20 points out of the 20 available and the other scored 19 :j:j:j

Well chuffed.

The show made for a lovely day out too. Very busy though. We spent money on the entrance fee, lunch, drinks and ice creams and I picked up some dog treats as FDawg's trainer had a stall there and we're getting a bit low. Costs will be met from the fun money and grocery budget.

I intend to keep one of the paintings as it goes well in one of the bedrooms. The other I'm going to sell on the Bay to try to recoup the framing costs.

Supper was Courgette & Prawn Curry leftover from Friday night. I diced the courgettes as I've found that gives a better consistency.

This morning we have sorted out Mr F's pension contributions. We will owe more tax as a result but I have sorted that out on line and it works out at £50 per month over the the rest of the financial year. Annoying but doable. I feel as though I have regained some focus on the financials now. Made an OP of £521.85 yesterday. The emergency fund is up to 70% but I am anticipating that coming down again as we have to replace our front gate and, as it's a farm size gate that's going to hurt.

This afternoon we're off to a neighbours for an afternoon/evening do. We'll take some wine and beer from stores and gift some gin so no costs involved. It sounds as though they've gone to a lot of effort so it should make for a lovely outing. Nice to be able to dress up for a change and just turn up and enjoy.

It looks like it's going to be a glorious day today. I hope you all get the chance to enjoy it.

Fortune x
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    Oooh - clever you! - well done on your paintings! :T :T x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Current sainsbugs mag has a courgette feature that you can access for free on line.

Ooh - thanks INOD, I'll take a look.

Fortune x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback