Sky Cinema movies

Has anyone noticed that Sky Cinema movies only lasts a week now? before I could download them onto my Sky Q box and keep them for as long as I want and watch them when I am ready, well recently, I downloaded movies - one is the new movie Geostorm with the hunky Gerard Butler and it states expires Friday, why do movies now only last a week? Sky is dreadful now with movies! :(

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I wouldn't worry too much. It's on the Cinema channels numerous times over the next 7 days, well past Friday.

It's also probably just the expiry from the actual 'On Demand' section. I would imagine it will still be available to download well past Friday.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    mije1983 wrote: »
    it will still be available to download well past Friday.
    Nothing has changed, the film will still be available for as long as Sky is still showing it on the Movie Channels. This is far far longer than a week.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I can see Geostorm on Sky Cinema on Demand with an expiry date of September 28th 2019.

The version that gets pushed to the box overnight via your dish tends to be the one that only lasts seven days BUT you can usually press Record on the movie screen so it'll copy it to the user area and keep it until it expires.
  • [Deleted User]
    before I could download them onto my Sky Q box and keep them for as long as I want
    Downloads have never been available forever. If you want a film to remain on your hard drive indefinitely you need to record it when broadcast.
  • mije1983
    Nothing has changed, the film will still be available for as long as Sky is still showing it on the Movie Channels. This is far far longer than a week.

Which is exactly what my post said. However, the version which is pushed to the box did indeed have an expiry of 13th July. As that has disappeared and it is now download only, the expiry is next September.

It is the shortened date that Sky keeps the pushed films available compared to the downloads that has confused the OP.
  • [Deleted User]
    the version which is pushed to the box did indeed have an expiry of 13th July. As that has disappeared and it is now download only, the expiry is next September.
    To clarify:
    The OP seemed to think downloads have previously been available to keep indefinitely. This has never been the case, they have always had an expiry date.

The decoder will continually delete old automatic downloads within a few days to allow space for new material as it becomes available.

Only recorded content will stay on the hard drive until it is deleted by the customer.

So, as I said, nothing has changed.
  • mije1983
    So, as I said, nothing has changed.

Which, again, I had answered in my reply.
    I would imagine it will still be available to download well past Friday.

Has anyone noticed that Sky Cinema movies only lasts a week now....... one is the new movie Geostorm with the hunky Gerard Butler and it states expires Friday, why do movies now only last a week?

I answered the OPs question above, which told them WHY the date was only a week.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime
  • [Deleted User]
    I would imagine it will still be available to download well past Friday.
    You didn't sound at all certain, hence my responses.

I think the OP has the answer now (several times) though :p
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Downloads have never been available forever. If you want a film to remain on your hard drive indefinitely you need to record it when broadcast.

But even then there is nothing indefinite about it.
    When the hard drive fails or the file system gets corrupt or there becomes a need to totally reset the box or whatever, the film will be lost from the drive.

Nobody should keep anything on a PVR drive that they really really want to keep forever - either be prepared to lose it at some point in the future or ensure you copy it off. I should probably say that if you really liked a film you saw on Sky Cinema, it may be more prudent to buy the DVD or Blu-Ray from the store or Amazon or wherever.
  • [Deleted User]
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    But even then there is nothing indefinite about it.
    I agree, but only to a point.

A Sky+HD recording is still available "indefinitely" by virtue of having no defined deletion date.

Even a DVD or Blu-Ray is destined for eventual obsolescence, just like VHS, Betamax and Laser Disc, but there is no date (that we know for sure) when this will happen...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure