PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Electrical Instulation

Comments

• Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Consumer units (fuse boxes) often have “chunks” cut out of them to facilitate cable entry. Maybe the hole was larger than your sparky liked?

The box is full of live wires, and neutrals and earths. The live wire was likely to be insulated (can you see a red or brown wire?). These are still safe to touch although not recommended to be sticking your fingers inside.

My guess is the sparky is softening you up for a replacement metal consumer unit to meet the latest regs. There is no requirement to do this. If it’s a cracked or damaged cover made of plastic, you should be able to find new old stock of the identical make on Ebay since they can’t be installed in new jobs any more.

Maybe post a photo or get a second opinion.

If it’s a report for building regs then it should be on the local council building control website. What was it for? It could be as minor as adding an additional circuit and nothing to do with the consumer unit. And in any case, this was not a condition report for your own use, if you wanted one of those, you shoukd have commissioned one.

Worst case? New metal consumer unit for a few hundred quid. Welcome to home ownership!
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • I think his problem with the box was that the wire could be touched by accident because of the hole. As I said before I really don’t know for sure because it went over my head and my dad (who’s used to commercial property management) didn’t think the sparky as taking the P. Sadly he’s not bought a house for many years and my family members are many hours away and we don’t speak much, so they are useless haha.

This forum is so good for getting knowledge. I’m going to search boiler cover now.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    This forum is so good for getting knowledge. I’m going to search boiler cover now.
    By 'boilercover', do you mean an annual contract which covers breakdown?

My own view is that you are better off finding a reliable local independant engineer who will do a service every year or two (my elderly dad went 22 years without a service though I don't recommend that....).

Then put £20 pm aside in a savings account and use that to pay for any breakdown. No breakdown? After 2 years you'll have £480. Enough for a really nice weekend away!
  • ^yes self insure is always a good idea. But how much are services? What if something does happen l.
  • Most boiler cover scams don't include boiler replacement, so the cost of £20 a month is far in excess of my service at £40-£60 every two years. I use my local gasman to do this, that keeps him in work and not some greasy filthy gas bored employee!

The money you save is easily liquidated once a year on a blow out with BoPsie down the wobbleade emporium!
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    G_M wrote: »
    my elderly dad went 22 years without a service
    He has my sympathy.
  • He has my sympathy.

I've only had the cover off and a quick poke round once or twice in the same period myself.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I've only had the cover off and a quick poke round once or twice in the same period myself.
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • @davidmcn I didn’t want advice about contract. My question is at the end of the post - how can an electrician sign of the work when those two faults where present. What exactly does the piece of paper say is of satisfactory condition.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    @davidmcn I didn’t want advice about contract. My question is at the end of the post - how can an electrician sign of the work when those two faults where present. What exactly does the piece of paper say is of satisfactory condition.
    I don't know, because I haven't seen the piece of paper.

My point is that even if the vendor's electrician has made a mess of whatever they've certified, you can't do anything about it because they're not your electrician.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure