BT Broadband - moving house - using cooling off period to leave contract?

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am moving house and will be moving in with a friend. Friend currently has no internet or phone, whereas I have 9 months left on my contract with BT due to renewing in January for 18 months. (At the time I planned to move into a new place of my own, but circumstances changed!)

BT have said the standard - they can't move the account to a new person because the contract is with me, and it's around £180 to cancel just now.

My friend is quite keen to keep all the bills in the house in her name, but has agreed that it makes sense for me to transfer my account over there until the contract runs out.

I have just arranged this with BT but was told they 'had to' set it up as a new 12 month contract, which is annoying as I had hoped my friend could take over the line as soon as my contract with up, so this extends it albiet only slightly.

They told me as it was a new contract, I will have a 14 day cooling off period from the day the service starts. Could I just cancel the contract in this 14 day period and walkaway with no fee to pay? (Except for paying for what we'd used already of course). Has anyone done this?

thanks!
E

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills