Tesco Mobile Price Increase

Options
rome1067
rome1067 Posts: 192 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Please be aware when comparing mobile phone deals that most of the deals Tesco are advertising are 30 months which means they are no longer competitive with their prices. A new iPhone 6s with Tesco sounds good on the Black Friday deal of £24.99 per month but that is a whopping £749.
I know some people will want to keep their monthly payment down but people need to be aware. An extra 6 months doesn't sound much but it does make a big difference in prices.
I've got four phones with Tesco but will gradually move away as they come to renewal. Shame because Tesco used to be brilliant for phone deals but not anymore

Comments

• hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    Yes that's why it's better to buy the phone upfront and then get a cheap monthly sim deal. I bought 2 iphone 6s's last year from John Lewis and put them on a 0% Post Office credit card. I currently pay £5 per month with BT for my phone contract and my wife has just moved to Tesco £7-50 per month for hers. On your deal that works out at £1500:eek: This way it works out at £1375 for them both. We paid £499 each for the phones 12 months ago, not sure what they are now but probably cheaper.
    I suppose it depends on how much data you use but we don't use a lot so this was the cheapest deal for us
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think you've misunderstood. That's for an "anytime upgrade" tariff, which allows you to change the phone and tariff at any time. They still do 24 month contracts.
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    I thought anything longer than a 24 month was now illegal for non-business contracts, so the OP must have it completely wrong.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I thought anything longer than a 24 month was now illegal for non-business contracts, so the OP must have it completely wrong.

Tesco and Virgin use a technicality, it isn’t a 30 or 36 month contract for service, it’s a 30/36 month personal loan to pay for the phone.

Service is billed separately and is a 30 day contract (at least for Virgin)

Here’s how Virgin describe it.
    Prices shown are based on a 24 or 36 month Consumer Credit Agreement provided by Virgin Media Mobile Finance Limited and a 30 day rolling Pay Monthly Airtime Contract with Virgin Mobile Telecoms Limited.

You must pay off your loan in full in order to upgrade your handset. Further terms and conditions apply. 0% APR Representative.

http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/pay-monthly-phones/iphone7-32gb-black/iphone7-32gb-black-tariffs.html#contentTabs0
    ====
  • rome1067
    rome1067 Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I know they still do 24 month but the prices they show are usually the 30 month which appear cheaper because it's over a longer period
    I used to use Tesco because they WERE a cheap way of getting the kids iPhones. The equivalent phone on 24 months is nearly £29 a month and while it works out cheaper it is no longer competitive compared to other companies.
    I think they are being a little sneaky in their advertising, I know all the information is there but some people will just see that monthly figure and think it's the best deal when it's not.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tesco Mobile don't really compete on price anymore.
    Their offerings are only slightly cheaper than 50% parent O2.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tesco Mobile don't really compete on price anymore.
    Their offerings are only slightly cheaper than 50% parent O2.

That may be true. But I have experienced both companies service/call centers with Tesco a clear winner!
  • NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    Options
    Phones are phones. Why people think they need Iphones is beyond me. It seems like too many people are seduced by pretty graphics and gimmicks when the core part of a phone - calls, messages, social media - can be bought for so much less.

It is good that the OP states an iPhone as £749. People dont see it like that they see it like 'that's only £30 per month'. It isnt. It is £749. That is just the phone company's way of getting over a hurdle because people would never pay £749 for a phone if you had to do so upfront
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NineDeuce wrote: »
    Phones are phones. Why people think they need Iphones is beyond me. It seems like too many people are seduced by pretty graphics and gimmicks when the core part of a phone - calls, messages, social media - can be bought for so much less.

It is good that the OP states an iPhone as £749. People dont see it like that they see it like 'that's only £30 per month'. It isnt. It is £749. That is just the phone company's way of getting over a hurdle because people would never pay £749 for a phone if you had to do so upfront

You’re out of touch if you think only iPhones cost that sort of money, a Galaxy Note 8 is just under £900 or s8+ £780, even a “cheap” brand like Huawei now have an £800 flagship model.
    ====
  • NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    You’re out of touch if you think only iPhones cost that sort of money, a Galaxy Note 8 is just under £900 or s8+ £780, even a “cheap” brand like Huawei now have an £800 flagship model.

Can you point out where in my post I stated that only Iphones are in that price bracket.

Same goes for the other phones. Ridiculous prices inflated by the non-essential gimmicks....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure