Where in the world?

Options
Looking for suggestions on where to go on holiday between February and April 2018. I am looking to go for a minimum two weeks, max three. Of course, as I am on this site, I am doing it on a budget, whatever that means (suggest £1200-1500 max per person for flights and accommodation).

Some of the places I have considered are: Philippines, Bali, Thailand, Miami and Mexico together and Rio de Janeiro. Most of these are, I think, a bit over my budget.

What do I want from my holiday? Sun, good food, the opportunity to relax on a beach or by a pool, some adventures and excursions, good nightlife.

I am 27. Travelling from London with a friend. Previously I have been to California, Morcoco, Dubai, Egypt and most major European countries except Italy.

Need more insight please shout. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thailand seems the obvious one of those, you should be able to do it within your budget. Sri Lanka might be an option too, although I'm not sure if you can get a flight there as cheaply as you can to Bangkok.
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could do Mombasa on that budget. I met my Kenyan wife there and it's like Paradise. I've also lived in the Philippines but from my experience it's a bit like rip-off land, with every foreigner a target.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bodders11 wrote: »
    Looking for suggestions on where to go on holiday between February and April 2018. I am looking to go for a minimum two weeks, max three. Of course, as I am on this site, I am doing it on a budget, whatever that means (suggest £1200-1500 max per person for flights and accommodation).

Some of the places I have considered are: Philippines, Bali, Thailand, Miami and Mexico together and Rio de Janeiro. Most of these are, I think, a bit over my budget.

What do I want from my holiday? Sun, good food, the opportunity to relax on a beach or by a pool, some adventures and excursions, good nightlife.

I am 27. Travelling from London with a friend. Previously I have been to California, Morcoco, Dubai, Egypt and most major European countries except Italy.

Need more insight please shout. Thanks in advance.

Vietnam\Cambodia

Just got back from there and the hotel\food\transport costs are ridiculously low.
    Meal for two-USA$6 (total)
    Beer 0.5$
    Train 12hr journey in second class £20
    Beaches\sites\ backpackers areas.

Good time of year to go
    Can pick north or South or inbetween
    Visa on arrival $20 (IIRC)
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    2 to 3 weeks in Thailand , Bali, Philippines on a budget hoping for good food.
    Well not gonna happen imo.

Philippines cuisine just ain't.
    Thailand too spicy if you aren't used to it.
    Bali is a possibility but street food is so so.

Malaysia might work. Coffee shop, food center and street food is cheap and good.
    Plenty to see but not everywhere on the coast has good beaches. Pools are fine.

Just had massive floods in Sri Lanka although outside your time window.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • Aced2016
    Aced2016 Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    Koh Samui in Thailand ! Cannot reccomend enough !!!

Stunning place, great food and people. If you do go a tip is paying a local driver 2000 Thai bat which is about £40.00. The cabs are spacious and fully air conditioned ! He will take you out full day to the most stunning spots and take you to the temples etc and he stops off at a fab restaurant far out right on the beach!

Cannot reccomend enough :)
  • Bodders11
    Bodders11 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Vietnam/Cambodia sounds good, I will take a look at this in more detail including where to stay, things to see, flights, etc.

Thailand and in particular Koh Samui look great, but seemingly everyone is going to Thailand at the moment and it would be nice to do something different, albeit the reviews are all very positive.

Malaysia would be good too, perhaps coupled with Singapore?

Not sure there's enough to do for me in Sri Lanka and Kenya (me being naive perhaps).

Keep the suggestions coming and I will work up a few options/itineraries.
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    Me and a friend did Thailand, Maylasia and sungapore 6 years ago in 6 weeks and I don't think I spent much more than £2k ish but that was backpacker bunk beds, cheap trips and eating etc. you could do 2 of them over 3 weeks tbh.

I went to Maimi and flew out again within a day - ive never hated somewhere so much. There's nothing there bar beaches and drinking.

Mexico is lovely but to get on budget you'd prob have to book it seperate as we went years ago for £700 ai for 2 weeks - dread to think what it is now. But there's xcaret, xel ha, boats to drive, drive golf buggies around Isle majuras, chicken itza - truely wonderful place
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is lots to do in Sri Lanka - full of history if you like that sort of thing. Not been for a few years and the roads were bad then so it did take a while to get anywhere.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Capetown and the Cape peninsula !
    And Franschhoek and maybe the Garden Route too.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    There is lots to do in Sri Lanka - full of history if you like that sort of thing. Not been for a few years and the roads were bad then so it did take a while to get anywhere.

I second this.^^^^
    Check out the weather though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family