Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Comments

• Yes all cancelled as I am becoming increasingly frustrated by their offerings. Internet speed averages 2.4mb which is not good enough, tried all the remedies such as new routers, micro filters, master socket test with no improvement. Even bought my own wi fi boosters and tried the router in different locations. Now on top of that am experiencing more drop outs and pages taking longer to load. Forgot to mention I also have sky sport and from my point of view the offerings are also getting worse. And is it just me or are adverts ever increasing? So unless they make me a really good offer I will sign up with a new provider.
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    @First past the post - do not cancel your phone line and broadband... Switch instead!

You may incur a cease charge from Sky for the Openreach line and/or an activation fee, when you eventually sign up to a new provider. In effect you need to switch to a new line/broadband provider, don't let Sky cancel your phone line and broadband.

Also re: Sky TV - if your cancellation is now pending, log into your My Sky account and go into the My Offers area. From past experience they instantly slap a 50% off TV offer in there for 12 months if you stay.
  • Sparx I appreciate the heads up in regard to switch / cease, many thanks.

To be fair to Sky they did offer me 2 options as set out below

The first option is to place a direct cancellation on here today. We need a minimum of 14 days notice and once the notice has been served, both the broadband and the phone line will be cancelled at this address and the phone number will be permanently lost. Then you would need to wait approximately 2-3 weeks for your new provider to set up the line with phone and broadband again

The second option is to process what we call a third party or active line takeover. This means you leave your phone and broadband active with us and contact your new chosen provider. Once you have placed an order with them on your current land line number they will directly contact us to place a cancellation on the line. Once the line cancels with us it starts with them immediately which means you will have no break in service and keep the current phone number.

I elected the second option. And I have also checked My Sky today and no new offers to be found.

Virgin would be my preferred choice for a new provider but they do not yet serve my area, so may go for BT.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Sparx I appreciate the heads up in regard to switch / cease, many thanks.

To be fair to Sky they did offer me 2 options as set out below

The first option is to place a direct cancellation on here today. We need a minimum of 14 days notice and once the notice has been served, both the broadband and the phone line will be cancelled at this address and the phone number will be permanently lost. Then you would need to wait approximately 2-3 weeks for your new provider to set up the line with phone and broadband again

The second option is to process what we call a third party or active line takeover. This means you leave your phone and broadband active with us and contact your new chosen provider. Once you have placed an order with them on your current land line number they will directly contact us to place a cancellation on the line. Once the line cancels with us it starts with them immediately which means you will have no break in service and keep the current phone number.

I elected the second option. And I have also checked My Sky today and no new offers to be found.

Virgin would be my preferred choice for a new provider but they do not yet serve my area, so may go for BT.
    So you haven't actually cancelled phone/broadband, but will be asking another company to take over .

TV offers don't appear online for everyone. There are lots of other possibilities/combinations of offer: at time of giving notice, by a later phone or email, via your tv .

Many of us found that at time of giving notice the offers section on My Sky disappeared, but a 'left within 12 months?' link appeared after switch off and that's where the good offer was.
  • Rubidium
    Rubidium Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 19 January 2017 at 10:52AM
    Yes all cancelled as I am becoming increasingly frustrated by their offerings. Internet speed averages 2.4mb which is not good enough, tried all the remedies such as new routers, micro filters, master socket test with no improvement. Even bought my own wi fi boosters and tried the router in different locations. Now on top of that am experiencing more drop outs and pages taking longer to load. Forgot to mention I also have sky sport and from my point of view the offerings are also getting worse. And is it just me or are adverts ever increasing? So unless they make me a really good offer I will sign up with a new provider.

You may be interested to know that Sky have recently decided that they will no longer provide broadband to new customers unable to achieve a minimum stable download speed of 2Mb/s, so basically they maybe simply don't want you and will not give you any offer.

Unless you determine the reason for your bad connection, switching to another ADSL provider is unlikely to improve matters and it could well be worse! Do your routers line stats reveal anything useful? When you tried the master socket test, was all internal extension wiring disconnected from the line i.e. only the router connected? If your are currently on Sky LLU (Sky equipment in your exchange) changing to a non LLU is not a good idea.

Although not officially announced yet by Sky, it is believed that Sky will increase their line rental form £17.40 to £18.40 from 1 March, which may give subscribers the opportunity to exit their contracts penalty free.
  • Yes all cancelled as I am becoming increasingly frustrated by their offerings. Internet speed averages 2.4mb which is not good enough, tried all the remedies such as new routers, micro filters, master socket test with no improvement. Even bought my own wi fi boosters and tried the router in different locations. Now on top of that am experiencing more drop outs and pages taking longer to load. Forgot to mention I also have sky sport and from my point of view the offerings are also getting worse. And is it just me or are adverts ever increasing? So unless they make me a really good offer I will sign up with a new provider.

Is that particularly bad where you are? Have you checked with your neighbours to see if it is just your location rather than a fault?

WiFi boosters will only boost the internal signal and won't increase the DL speed at the master socket.

If it is just your location rather than a fault then, short of changing to fibre, using a different ADSL supplier won't make any difference.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Rubidium wrote: »

Although not officially announced yet by Sky, it is believed that Sky will increase their line rental form £19.40 to £18.40 from 1 March, which may give subscribers the opportunity to exit their contracts penalty free.

Does anyone know if this is just Broadband or if the price rise includes Fibre too?
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Rubidium wrote: »
    You may be interested to know that Sky have recently decided that they will no longer provide broadband to new customers unable to achieve a minimum stable download speed of 2Mb/s, so basically they maybe simply don't want you and will not give you any offer.

Well that's one way of resolving problems I guess#
    My house in 9 yrs old with I believe Cat 5 cabling so should be up to the job and as suggested I have checked at master socket (BT) removed face plate and directly connected the router with no other devices or phones plugged in. Sky solution send a new router but makes no difference.
    Interestingly it appears most of my neighbours are on BT / PlusNet and the local cabinet for fibre is only 150 yards from my house almost in direct line of sight. So I will now likely opt for fibre with BT, Infinity 1.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Oakdene wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this is just Broadband or if the price rise includes Fibre too?

Line rental increase (£17.40 to £18.40) would be irrespective of type of broadband.

Sky usually increase line rental at the end of a year, but in 2016 providers used the new legislation to increase the total price by cutting the broadband offers, so effectively increasing broadband prices.
  • I cancelled my Sky TV over the weekend. They offered 50% off the TV for 10 months but wouldn't move on multi-room.
    Got offered 50% off the tv package for 12 months on the app, and 60% off through the tv. I've got until mid feb so am going to wait for a bit and see what happens.
    I need to check with them but think I am out of contract for the broadband as well. Is it worth trying to get a deal on this as well? It can't hurt to ask I guess...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback