The impossible dream

Comments

• Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Thank you for the positive support. Really appreciated.

Not suprisingly, they ask nothing in regards to cooking or hygeine. Instead they ask why you wish to volunteer, what you will get out of volunteering and what skills and attributes you will bring to the organisation. Along with the standard can you drive, criminal convictions, hours you can give and health problems.

So, stage 2 of world domination in place.

Although I am certain I will gain some valuable skills, or at the very least, be reintroduced to some I have lost, such as compassion and patience; I am not sure they will help me in any future career situations. Honestly, I am not sure I wish to compete any more. Which is why I didn't attend the Blackpool interview.

The thought of another 15 or so years of work fills me with dread and horror. To be honest, I think I am in need of a sabattical. The opportunity to kick back and do nothing. 6 months would probably do. And I would be climbing the walls, desperate to get back to work. Unfortunately, not many organisations recognise the need to give personnel some space and time off, nor can they afford it.

Oh well, 14 years, 364 days, 23 hours and 55 minutes left to go.
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
  • Tahlullah
    Happy Monday morning everyone.

Good. Just made a £300 overpayment in my quest to be mortgage free for March.

Bad. Have to pay £25 car parking charge. Bah humbug.

Not sure how the day is going to pan out with such a contradictory start.

Owed at the end of -
  • Tahlullah
    Truly naff day.

But, got an email offering me Wednedsdays volunteering with the soup kitchen, but they want to meet for an informal chat and then I need my DBS, formally CRB certificate on file before I can be let loose on an unsuspecting public.

Small steps to stage 3 of world domination in progress.

Owed at the end of -
  • Tahlullah wrote: »
    Truly naff day.

But, got an email offering me Wednedsdays volunteering with the soup kitchen, but they want to meet for an informal chat and then I need my DBS, formally CRB certificate on file before I can be let loose on an unsuspecting public.

Small steps to stage 3 of world domination in progress.

Sorry to hear that you have been having a rubbish time :( Good news about the volunteering though! :D

Mooching around the boards, it looks like a lot of people have had a cr*p few weeks - must be the lull before the sunshine turns up properly!! ;)

For my own part, I just need to get back on the wagon and stop being an idiot....most of my issues over the past few weeks have been self-inflicted! :o

Give Rufus a hug...it will make you feel better :D
    Mortgage 12.12.12 £55842 12.12.13 £42716 14.12.14 £28837 13.12.15 £25913
    Mortgage OP £50/£600 House Fund £420/£5000
  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,544 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sorry to hear about the naff they agree cuddle the cat that always help that's if he is around this time of year mine wants to be out.

Sounds strict with the volunteering checks but mind you so are our day jobs so understandable.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• Tahlullah
    Thanks for the best wishes and good advice Icontinuetodream and TallGirl. Rufus deserves a hug, he is such a fantastic cat. He is currently asleep on the windowsill. Still not being more dog!

Well, nothing happening regarding the volunteering. Haven't managed to arrange a meeting. I guess this may be a long, drawn out process. Then, they have to apply for the DBS, so not anticipating anything until August at this rate. By then, I will have changed my mind.

Still staring at the spreadsheet and the online banking and my xray powers have not improved as yet. Nothing is moving.

My next mortgage payment will take me below the £30k mark, so that is good. But it is slow.

Having read other diaries, I realise that I am not really participating in the same way. I read about all the different things people are doing to save money, in order to release more to throw at the mortgage, and I'm just not doing any of it. I am just scratching at the surface.

I collect my coins, tilly tidy my bank accounts, use £co when I buy anything new, shop and ruminate over selling on eBay(never get round to it, still own my old car!), do YouGov surveys and am generally very careful with money. But I am not reducing the mortgage at any speed.

Why am I not as focused as others? Is it because I haven't really had a light bulb moment?

Owed at the end of -
  • I hope it works out
  • LydiaJ
    LydiaJ Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Tahlullah wrote: »
    Still staring at the spreadsheet and the online banking and my xray powers have not improved as yet. Nothing is moving.

My next mortgage payment will take me below the £30k mark, so that is good. But it is slow.

Having read other diaries, I realise that I am not really participating in the same way. I read about all the different things people are doing to save money, in order to release more to throw at the mortgage, and I'm just not doing any of it. I am just scratching at the surface.

I collect my coins, tilly tidy my bank accounts, use £co when I buy anything new, shop and ruminate over selling on eBay(never get round to it, still own my old car!), do YouGov surveys and am generally very careful with money. But I am not reducing the mortgage at any speed.

Why am I not as focused as others? Is it because I haven't really had a light bulb moment?

You are not reading a wide enough selection of other diaries, then. Try nattypants, who posts about anything and everything and only very rarely has anything to say about her mortgage. Her diary is an excellent read - you'll enjoy it.

Seriously, there's a huge variation on here of how committed people are to their MFW efforts. I think it depends on what else they've got going on in their lives, how tight money is, whether they have a partner who is or isn't on board, and a bunch of other stuff.

Your list of things that you're doing looks like a lot to me. And £30k is looking good too - loads of people on here have much bigger ones. If it's not going down as fast as some people's maybe your job doesn't pay as much as theirs does. But you're not alone. Have a browse of some more diaries and look at the ones with lots of stats in their sigs. You'll find a big variation. Some people have MF dates that are still decades in the future, and the lovely community here will still encourage them when they manage to OP a few quid. :)
    Do you know anyone who's bereaved? Point them to https://www.AtaLoss.org which does for bereavement support what MSE does for financial services, providing links to support organisations relevant to the circumstances of the loss & the local area. (Link permitted by forum team)
    Tyre performance in the wet deteriorates rapidly below about 3mm tread - change yours when they get dangerous, not just when they are nearly illegal (1.6mm).
    Oh, and wear your seatbelt. My kids are only alive because they were wearing theirs when somebody else was driving in wet weather with worn tyres.
    :)
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    LydiaJ wrote: »

Your list of things that you're doing looks like a lot to me.

And to me.

And I'm another who can't move the numbers on the spreadsheet by sheer willpower alone :(
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,544 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Tahlullah wrote: »

I think each person/family are different and there has to be a balance between MFW and living your life as we are only here once. When I first came on MSE I had a car loan but inspired by reading the DFW I actually paid it off really quickly. Then headed over here as I had an offset mortgage but didn't realise you could pay off outside the DDs.

Now that I have paid it off and I have a smaller wage I'm rubbish at saving anything but as you say we do things every day small things (however do get that car sold it's only going to depreciate). This is sounding like a load of waffle what I wanted to say is sometimes it's easier to pay off a mortgage sometimes it's harder but every little helps and will always put you in a better position than you would otherwise have been.

I see you are off on your hols have a lovely time.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback