Everyday Ordinary Man Approaching Full Retirement at 59.

Options

Comments

• Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,174 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I’m going nowhere till I’m carried out feet first! I learned just how wonderful my group of friends are when my first husband was dying and afterwards. There are 9 of us in the ‘core group’ with others who drift in and out according to their family and travel commitments. We have supported each other through some horrendous scenarios. I know how lucky we are to have so many people we could ring at 3 am when disaster strikes!
    I spent most of my inheritance from my Mum ‘future proofing’ my house. I have a splendid 180 degree view and I built a garden room to take full advantage of it. My new husband and I love it here, never get tired of looking at the view - even in the dark we have lights all along the horizon.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • fatbeetle
    fatbeetle Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 6 December 2017 at 10:59PM
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »
    I'm curious whether any of you are contemplating a move now you are retired?

Just a small one. Me and the Mrs, and the two mutts, are moving from Australia to Cornwall in Jan 2018.

d-g%20(6).jpg
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Only if I get lucky with the Lottery!! So, it's a very big 'if'!
    Still, enjoy Escape to the Country type programmes, though hate the way they drive to places down narrow country roads.

Reality is, where's the nearest Hospital/A&E, dentist, doctor, Police Station, vet, and decent sized supermarket.

I find it amazing how many want to immediately want to start knocking down walls etc.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Love the mutts fatbeetle.

As I'm not quite retired, this is in the wish category, though I've given it some thought. OK, quite a lot.;)

I live in a not great place, it's OK, but at age 53, I've never actually lived in a house I've chosen. The current pluses are that one 5 mins walk from a station on the Liverpool London line, ten minutes walk from a brilliant theatre that I go to pretty regularly, and there is an excellent area to walk the dogs ten minutes up the road.

So I might either move nearer the dog walking area, which would mean spending a lot for an equivalent house; there's a big difference between the two areas despite them being close.

Or move to Chester, which is 15 miles away and live slap bang in the centre. Again that would cost more, but I'd do away with a car probably and I could also do home swaps for holidays.

I also have a long running joke with a close girlfriend that when her OH dies, well end up living together. She favours the country. It may turn out not to be a joke.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 7 December 2017 at 10:08AM
    Options
    joansgirl wrote: »
    I have no intention of moving. I did think about it, I would have liked either somewhere by the sea or somewhere isolated, but with age comes mobility and fitness worries and here is where my (sparse) support network is.

Re the "mobility" issues and I've seen people here move closer into a town as they get older and that is quite frequent and I presume it's down to mobility issues.

Moving may or may not be a voluntary choice. I think it probably takes a while to adapt even if it was a voluntary choice and longer if it wasnt. I'd hazard a guess at around 1-2 years to "settle" if it was a voluntary choice and 4-5 years if it wasnt.

What would I say now from my own experience. Mine wasnt a voluntary move basically - and so, from that perspective I'd say:

- it helps a LOT when your house is finished/together and in your taste and working the way you want it to

- it is a default setting most people have that they will assume you think/feel the same way they personally do. If you don't - then realise there will be a few "test comments" at some point to check if you do and probably the best policy is to just change the subject. People who are persistent in assuming you do (when you don't) might have to be told how you really think the once - and then walk off. Basically - if something is just different say nowt. If it's wrong - then that's between you and your conscience whether you speak up or no (errrm...I do myself ....but that's me). I'd never encountered the "support someone just because they're a fellow local" idea before and I will never agree with it. If they're right - they are right. If they're wrong - they're wrong imo.
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for the links Katiehound they are adorable I can see why you love them .
    Have done my Xmas cards, visited 2 very elderly friends in their nursing homes, wrapped all the presents up and am fit to go. Off to Cardiff this afternoon to the bay have never been before am so looking forward to walking around there and seeing the lights . I am so enjoying this time. I took cards in to my old job yesterday and saw them all there . They were very nice to me and pleased to see me , offered me my old job back lol. Guess what I said NOOOOOOO lol. I felt fine about being there I realise I am no longer in the team and I actually said I prob wouldn't do cards next year because not many ppl are doing them anymore.They said that they were prob not going to send them either and I am absolutely fine about it. So it is all good , it is a gradual divorce almost lol . A very amicable one though lol. Hope all well take care everyone .
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We won’t move again. When we last moved, 30 years ago now, it was for the kids to go to a good school. We had a choice of three properties and ended up with this big bungalow, needing quite a bit of work.

However, we’ve grown into it, as well as considerably improved it. We’re also within walking distance of anything we might need when the day comes that we can’t drive.

My 89 year old neighbour walks down the hill, but gets the bus back up.

This is a period when I don’t miss school at all: the mocks! Two language papers and one literature, usually for two Y11 classes! Coupled with organising readers for the Nine Lessons and Carols service.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't see us moving either, we will future proof our home like a lot of us are doing, just had the windows and doors renewed so they should now see us out lol. I also have realised that whatever house you buy there will always be something wrong with it , there is never a perfect 10. Also the thought of moving and the accompanying stress is all so daunting it really is not worth it. You hear so much abut subsidence etc etc even in new builds , or even more in new builds with the settlement that happens. I am risk averse so it will not be for us . I took enough of a risk finishing work early lol .I think we held the dream of a holiday home for a little while then thought better of it lol. Good luck if you decide to move .
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The main reasons I plan to move are to be closer to friends and family and closer to where I am originally from (Midlands). Where I currently live (middle of Scotland), it's a decent day's drive to most of my family and old friends. However, it's in a beautiful spot - medium-sized village with a huge mix of socioeconomic backgrounds, hiking and biking opportunities literally on the doorstep. Perfect dog-walking terrain!

I wouldn't move to anywhere isolated, especially as I live by myself. Currently struggling to find somewhere within at least reasonable distance from decent hiking and biking territory. North of Birmingham is currently on the radar, like Lichfield. That is an easy drive/train (1 hr) from relatives and friends in Birmingham, and a similar drive to the Peak District and only 15 minutes from Cannock Chase.

The other option would be to live in the Peak District itself, somewhere like Stone or Buxton, but then it's further from the relatives in Brum. I'd rather be somewhere where frequent visits would be easy.

As others have said, location of hospitals, GP, shops, library, etc., are also definitely on the checklist! I completely stuffed my back the day before I retired and being stranded like a beached whale on the sofa for weeks on end gave me a taste of what it's like to be "stuck" with a health problem. The village is quite insular and "white settlers" (their term for incomers, especially if they are English) find it difficult to assimilate. I could fall down the stairs and drop dead and no-one would know for at least a week or two.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    fatbeetle wrote: »
    Just a small one. Me and the Mrs, and the two mutts, are moving from Australia to Cornwall in Jan 2018.

d-g%20(6).jpg

Wow, how does that work for the dugs (they look like some sort of Border Terrier mix, right? Are they brother and sister?) Do they stop off on the way, or are they in the hold for the whole trip?

My rescue Labrador crossed the Atlantic with me three times and did amazingly well. The paperwork was a nightmare, though!
    (Nearly) dunroving
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport