Care Home Fees

Options

Comments

• 6022tivo
    6022tivo Posts: 781 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's complicated isn't it..
    I feel for you and I'm sending you hugs.. I know it doesn't help, but take care. x
  • Millie1982
    Options
    Thanks for your response!
    As I have stated, the money is not hidden, it's long since been in one of dad's accounts, initially, I had to move it to one of mine as I live outside of the UK and had to go to dad's bank in person to do so!

As for his pension, what I am trying to get at is how much of that goes on his care? All of it? Is it then my responsibility to pay out of my own pocket for all his needs, buy his clothes etc, I would have thought that would come out of his funds? If so, how is this fair? I'm jst starting my own business and it's not yet taken off.

Sorry if I sound naive, but the only reason I am on this forum (and it's not to get abused) is because the people I should be able to access are unavailble! The only time they appeared was when they thought dad's money had dried up!
  • Millie1982
    Options
    Thank you for your response! It was vey helpful and without judgement, very much appreciated on a very difficult situation for me. It's the hardest thing I've ever been through, without my husband, I know I wouldn't have been able to cope alone.
  • Millie1982
    Options
    Thank you! I do love a good hug these days! X
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,625 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Millie1982 wrote: »
    Thanks for your response!
    As I have stated, the money is not hidden, it's long since been in one of dad's accounts, initially, I had to move it to one of mine as I live outside of the UK and had to go to dad's bank in person to do so!

As for his pension, what I am trying to get at is how much of that goes on his care? All of it? Is it then my responsibility to pay out of my own pocket for all his needs, buy his clothes etc, I would have thought that would come out of his funds? If so, how is this fair? I'm jst starting my own business and it's not yet taken off.

Sorry if I sound naive, but the only reason I am on this forum (and it's not to get abused) is because the people I should be able to access are unavailble! The only time they appeared was when they thought dad's money had dried up!

You might find the following link useful.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/care-homes/paying-for-permanent-residential-care/

You are under no obligation to contribute to your father's care costs. As his savings have fallen below the level that he needs to fully fund his care costs, he now should be contributing all of his income with the exception of £24.90 per week. Unfortunately all savings over £14,250 are assumed to be worth £1 per week for each £250 over that limit.

In my mother's case because her savings are around £22,000 the £1 a week rule means her entire pension payment goes to her care costs. Like most in residential care her expenses are quite small ( mainly hairdressing) but even then her savings are slowly falling

Once you are no longer self funding the LA will carry out a financial review each year. As my mother's LPA I did this years review over the phone with them, but on previous years this was by post.

Which LA is dealing with your father?
  • coyrls
    coyrls Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think your first stop should be Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB), they should be able to help you with the basics and point you in the right direction for the more complicated stuff.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Your post did not make the situation clear and at any event money belonging to your father should not have been moved into a savings account/bank account that belonged to you - it is not correct procedure for the Attorney.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can see why the pension plan was considered as an asset: You get full top up on allowable income ,when down to £14250, so should be left with that for your beneficiaries, but surely part of that is to pay the funeral costs, which,in this case are paid.
  • cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 July 2017 at 6:03PM
    Options
    Millie1982 wrote: »

As several previous posters have already stated, all of your Dad's income (state pension, private pension, any benefits, savings income, dividends), except for £24.90 will be expected to go towards paying for residential care. (Your Dad should have a financial assessment done by the council, which might find that some other expenses can be taken into account, e.g. bills on his old house, if it has not yet sold.)

This Personal Expenses Allowance should be used to pay for clothes, toiletries, newspapers, haircuts, sweets and any other extras that your Dad wants or needs.

There is lots of help online to show people which benefits to claim for themself or relatives with care needs:
    https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/benefits-you-can-claim-when-you-have-care-needs

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/care-homes/paying-for-permanent-residential-care/

It is very difficult becoming a carer overnight - I've had to do it for my Dad and Gran at the same time as bringing up my 2 children. So take advantage of the support that is available from Age Concern and other organisations.

However I do think some of the problems have at least been exacerbated by your attitude towards paying for care, e.g. you don't seem to think you should have to. Your initial statement is that your Dad should have put this house into your name. This would have meant (if it had worked) that instead of his care being paid for from his own capital, the rest of us would have had to pay for it, just so you (who live abroad and presumably don't even pay tax in this country) can inherit a house. This is likely to get people's backs up and I think has resulted in the council taking a very harsh view. It is unusual of them to consider his funeral plan as an asset, for example.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,625 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    cte1111 wrote: »
    As several previous posters have already stated, all of your Dad's income (state pension, private pension, any benefits, savings income, dividends), except for £24.90 will be expected to go towards paying for residential care. (Your Dad should have a financial assessment done by the council, which might find that some other expenses can be taken into account, e.g. bills on his old house, if it has not yet sold.)

This Personal Expenses Allowance should be used to pay for clothes, toiletries, newspapers, haircuts, sweets and any other extras that your Dad wants or needs.

There is lots of help online to show people which benefits to claim for themself or relatives with care needs:
    https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/benefits-you-can-claim-when-you-have-care-needs

It is very difficult becoming a carer overnight - I've had to do it for my Dad and Gran at the same time as bringing up my 2 children. So take advantage of the support that is available from Age Concern and other organisations.

However I do think some of the problems have at least been exacerbated by your attitude towards paying for care, e.g. you don't seem to think you should have to. Your initial statement is that your Dad should have put this house into your name. This would have meant (if it had worked) that instead of his care being paid for from his own capital, the rest of us would have had to pay for it, just so you (who live abroad and presumably don't even pay tax in this country) can inherit a house. This is likely to get people's backs up and I think has resulted in the council taking a very harsh view. It is unusual of them to consider his funeral plan as an asset, for example.

I am usually very harsh on this subject, but to be fair to the OP, this situation seems to to be the result of totally misunderstanding the procedure, causing her to make a foolish error, rather than deliberate concealment (the OoPG seem to have come to the same conclusion) From the original post it seems the house has already been sold and the proceeds already used on care costs, but perhaps she can confirm that is the case.

As far as benefits are concerned, attendance allowance can no longer be claimed once a person is receiving LA funding, so that one is out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure