Buy ethereum uk

Comments

• economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    Bitcoin is purely a speculative play. Nothing else
  • markj113 wrote: »
    Apply the above criteria to mainstream banks, do they pass the test?

Whilst not perfect, banks are much more tightly and transparently regulated than crypto.

Money in the bank is guaranteed up to £85k.

Good luck getting your crypto "currency" converted back if it all goes wrong.

Its a bubble with no intrinsic value. Yes you might make money on it as more and more people hope to make a quick buck. But the people holding it when the music stops are going to be hit very hard. In terms of an "investment" Its basicially just the same as playing roulette in Vegas, just less fun.
  • markj113
    markj113 Posts: 256 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 June 2017 at 1:15PM
    The whole "Bitcoin is used for illicit/illegal transactions" is nonsense. Is it any worse than the USD for example. Every currency and store of wealth is used for illicit/illegal transactions.

The point of crypto is that there is no middle man, you dont need to trust your wealth to a 3rd party and you are fully in control. Next generation coins such as Komodo even have a trustless exchange built directly in to the wallet so you never have to trust anyone with your money.

Look at the Cyprus bank deposit hair cuts during 2012/13, up to 48% of your money taken without consent, the bail in laws introduced in the UK in 2015. Despite all the transparency and regulations are the banks doing a great job with your money?

Too big to fail and next time it will be the customers picking up the bill not the taxpayers.
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Fiat banking transparency and regulation is a mirage. Many promised post GFC reforms and fixes have been neutered or blocked by the banks. Compensation and guarantee schemes are all at everyone else's or 'the future's' expense, confidence tricks. Shadow banking oversight is hopelessly lax and that's where systemic failures are lurking.

As for crypto, there are significant technical hurdles and barriers to overcome. I'm confident they will be in time, that said probably not in mine though.

Interoperability, linking or merging of crypo ledgers and features are in their infancy.

Democratic free market currency is on the way whether the money printing masters, vested interests and flat Earthers like it or not. How much traction what currently exists, eventually gains, is anyone's guess at this stage. I certainly don't see it as a traditional investment in the way many who start these threads seem to.

The money printers only realistic option, with many democratic countries now already accepting the inevitable, is to either start pulling strings and shut it all down, which is already close to impossible and will expose them for what they really are, or to adopt and then seek to somehow steal back central control and retain their access and manipulation privileges.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,809 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    JohnRo wrote: »
    I certainly don't see it as a traditional investment

Ok, but do you see it as an investment of any type and, if so, why do you think that its value must go up rather than down?

If you don't see a fundamental reason for the price to go up over time, it's not any sort of investment at all, is it?
  • JohnRo
    I assume you're well aware currency is simply an accepted token of exchange for goods and services, derived from an abstract called money, which in the case of fiat is backed by nothing but the threat of government violence.

What you're buying into with crypto is a piece of an electronic financial infrastructure framework, all of the technical and conceptual work being done on it, all that it has already achieved, all of it's potential, future development, direction and as yet unexplored uses.

What it offers currently is integrity, equity and unfettered access, what you're buying into is that in future that will continue to evolve, gain traction and compete with the traditional money printing fraud, currently living on borrowed time.

It is a very high risk proposition in terms of a return on capital but by investing or buying in or by speculating or whatever you're choosing to do, you do so freely without interference and with all the associated risks, and that is the direction the whole concept was and is intending to travel.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • fwor
    I guess the short version of that is that you don't know whether it will go up in value or not?
  • markj113
    markj113 Posts: 256 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    fwor wrote: »
    I guess the short version of that is that you don't know whether it will go up in value or not?

Doesnt that apply to every other investment?

The only sure thing is that through inflation and QE your fiat is worth less year on year without fail.
  • fwor
    edited 18 June 2017 at 10:17PM
    markj113 wrote: »
    Doesnt that apply to every other investment?

Why would you invest in something if you did not believe that the trend in value would be upward?

As I've already said, I invest in company shares because the company's employees are working away on my behalf (and of course for their own benefit) to make their company a success. The fruits of those labours come my way in the form of the company dividend and, possibly, an increase in share price if their performance is such that more people want to buy than to sell.

I don't invest in other currencies, because I have no reason to think that - for example - the Euro will outperform Sterling in the longer term. It may of course do that, but I don't have any evidence to say whether it will or not.

In the case of Bitcoin (or Ethereum or whatever) a good analogy might be the idea of buying water as a means of investing in the water industry, rather than investing in one of the companies that run the water supply infrastructure.
  • JohnRo
    fwor wrote: »

That goes without saying, what I do know is that all fiat will keep swirling down the pan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure