ESA and Part time study

Hello

I am looking for factual guidance

I have been physically disabled for nearly seven years. I have a rare form of illness, making it harder to decipher what my future holds for me in physical form. Somehow, my body is giving me a break, instead of everyday in pain, it has plateaued. I can now concentrate on giving back and re-education is needed. I am also near completion of levelling out my mental health due to my pysical health.

My previous occupation was Hair and Beauty, I can no longer do that. I am also, a one parent family, I can no longer work those hours to bring in the wage needed to provide for my children. Due to my physical disability still present, I need a wage that will cover the cost of daily living, with hours that are sustainable, due to this illness.

I would like to return to work for eight hours a week and apply to an Open University or University, to study part time. In an ideal situation, I would like to be working part time and studying full, to enable me to move through life quicker and achieve what is needed at a faster pace, this is not feasible. This would not be physically possible or sustainable.

Does anyone have any information that could assist me in achieving this?

Kind regards

Comments

• Elise3
    Elise3 Posts: 15 Forumite
    I missed a H.

*h
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Elise3 wrote: »
    Hello

I am looking for factual guidance

I have been physically disabled for nearly seven years. I have a rare form of illness, making it harder to decipher what my future holds for me in physical form. Somehow, my body is giving me a break, instead of everyday in pain, it has plateaued. I can now concentrate on giving back and re-education is needed. I am also near completion of levelling out my mental health due to my pysical health.

My previous occupation was Hair and Beauty, I can no longer do that. I am also, a one parent family, I can no longer work those hours to bring in the wage needed to provide for my children. Due to my physical disability still present, I need a wage that will cover the cost of daily living, with hours that are sustainable, due to this illness.

I would like to return to work for eight hours a week and apply to an Open University or University, to study part time. In an ideal situation, I would like to be working part time and studying full, to enable me to move through life quicker and achieve what is needed at a faster pace, this is not feasible. This would not be physically possible or sustainable.

Does anyone have any information that could assist me in achieving this?

Kind regards

I am not sure what information you are looking for.

If you are on ESA which group are you in? WRAG/Support? Are you getting any help with work related activities? Do you have a work coach? Do you receive PIP or DLA?

Did you know that you can do Permitted Work and claim ESA with no loss of any benefits? Google to find out more.

As regards university or open university which courses would you be interested in? You could study with the Open University with no effect on any benefits.

Perhaps you could give us an idea of the kind of thing you would be interested in?
  • Elise3
    I'm wanting to know, can I still claim ESA if I study through Open University or can I still claim ESA if I attend a University. Would I be able to volunteer eight hours a week in a work placement that is relevant to the course and claim what I still need, until I am in a position to support my family and I. I would like to study psychiatry and work from home as I'd like to earn my own wage, taking into account this disability.
    I'm in the support group. I've lost trust in people. A person whom I thought was a friend, who works for the DWP, sexually blackmailed me for the information, then told me I would be entitled to...fa. His words... when I declined. Which has set me back a little, hence me asking, here and now. The field I would like to work in, requires degrees, I'm unsure if permitted work would be the right choice, unless it was relevant to the course. I've Googled alot. I'd like solid advice based on facts. I receive PIP
  • Elise3
    I've lost trust in some people, is what I should of put. I'm unsure how to edit. When I press the edit button, it won't let me edit.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Psychiatry requires a medical degree, that would be a huge investment (5 years as an undergraduate) and not a course that it's usually possible to do part time.

Whatever the course univeristy is a very expensive option. Have you looked at vocational, non-university training? You may find something that peeks your interest and would allow you to earn whilst you learned
  • w06
    there are also places like Coursera https://www.coursera.org/ where you can study short courses for free to broaden your skill mix, these are generally free unless you want a certificate
  • Elise3
    Yes it is a big investment. Possible is what I'm looking for and investing my time in. I've already looked at Coursera. My skills are broad enough. I'm qualified in hair, beauty and holistic therapies, childminding and I've done my NEBOSH. All these skills require physical fitness to an extent I cannot give. I'm looking to re-educate in a field where my mind can do all the work. It is expensive, an investment that will work well all round due to the taxes I will be expecting to pay from what my potential earnings could be. I'm not looking for a peek of interest, I'm looking for a sustainable career
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    I'm not sure you understand what psychiatry is. Your training would require placements in all areas of medicine, and will require physical stamina. Even once qualified it would be many years until you could work from home.

Do you mean psychotherapy or counselling?

What level of qualification do you have currently?
  • w06
    Most fields of medicine equally require physically fitness.

All doctors are required to have basic general medical and surgical competencies which means that none of the undergraduate or foundation (first 2 years post graduate) competencies can be excluded regardless of final career plans.
  • Elise3
    *physical.

Thankyou for your time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business