PPI Bradford and Bingley

I am writing on behalf of my father-in-law who had a "Final Response Letter" issued by Bradford and Bingley Building Society relating to mis-sold PPI. Unfortunately he has been unwell and hospitalised a number of times over the past year which left his referral claim to the FOS unfinished and we can only assume surpassing the 6 month referral period.
We have have written to Bradford and Bingley on 4/5/17 requesting a copy of the "Final Response Letter" but so far no response, thereby not sure if we have run out of time or not.

What do we do or have we run out of time, according to CAG they wrote this:
I don't know what you've been told on MSE, but it's nonsense. You cannot "start the process again" if you have already raised a complaint. If he complained over the telephone then that is just as valid a complaint as a written one and hence they have probably investigated it and issued a final response. What you can do is request a copy of this response and, if you disagree with it, contact fos and see if they will consider the above as special reasons to look at it outside the 6 month time frame.

...is this true or some know-all talking nonsense
Many Thanks

Webby

:j Won Against Natwest 4.5k, LLoyds 13K, Virgin Media £150 :beer:

Comments

• Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    The CAG advice is correct.
  • Nearlyold wrote: »
    The CAG advice is correct.

not what I wanted to hear but none the less if its true fact then I know where to go with it now, thanks for the reply
    Many Thanks

Webby

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't know what you've been told on MSE, but it's nonsense. You cannot "start the process again" if you have already raised a complaint

That is correct. Unfortunatly, Martin has perpetuated this myth you can try again. The fact is that you get one bite of the cherry unless significant new information comes to light which could change the decision.

Complaints can be made using most methods of communication. The firm issues a letter within days confirming the complaint and supplies a letter explaining what happens next as well as giving a FOS leaflet. The rejection letter will state that the FOS can be used and repeats that there is 6 months to refer to them.

The FOS do allow for the 6 month referral to be overridden in cases of incapacity. However, it has to be real incapacity.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dunstonh wrote: »
    That is correct. Unfortunatly, Martin has perpetuated this myth you can try again. The fact is that you get one bite of the cherry unless significant new information comes to light which could change the decision.

Complaints can be made using most methods of communication. The firm issues a letter within days confirming the complaint and supplies a letter explaining what happens next as well as giving a FOS leaflet. The rejection letter will state that the FOS can be used and repeats that there is 6 months to refer to them.

The FOS do allow for the 6 month referral to be overridden in cases of incapacity. However, it has to be real incapacity.

thanks for clarify this for me. We have written to BB as per usual they are dragging this out longer than it need to nearly 6 weeks to send a copy of the "final Response Letter" is a joke. My father-in-laws incapcity was due to Diabetes and thrombosis of the legs which kept him in hospital and unable to do anything...in your opinion would that be good grounds or just wasting time?
    Many Thanks

Webby

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    We have written to BB as per usual they are dragging this out longer than it need to nearly 6 weeks to send a copy of the "final Response Letter" is a joke.
    They are not obliged to send you a copy, all they have to do is confirm the date of it precludes you from referring your complaint to the Ombudsman. Why is it a "joke" to wait six weeks?
    My father-in-laws incapcity was due to Diabetes and thrombosis of the legs which kept him in hospital and unable to do anything...in your opinion would that be good grounds or just wasting time?
    Depends. You say he has been hospitalised a number of times during the last year. However, that doesn't sound like he was in hospital continuously.
  • They are not obliged to send you a copy, all they have to do is confirm the date of it precludes you from referring your complaint to the Ombudsman. Why is it a "joke" to wait six weeks?

Depends. You say he has been hospitalised a number of times during the last year. However, that doesn't sound like he was in hospital continuously.

thought as much cheers... one last question he did try to claim on this policy and obviously was refused can that merit a complaint or best leave it?
    Many Thanks

Webby

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    thought as much cheers... one last question he did try to claim on this policy and obviously was refused can that merit a complaint or best leave it?
    As already stated, the mis-selling complaint has already been made. You don't get a second bite of the cherry.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,499 Forumite
    When you say he tried to claim, do you mean he suffered a claimable event? if so, why 'obviously' refused?

And repeated hospitilisations may be good enough, ask the FOS, they can only say no.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure