Where in the world?

Options

Comments

• Bodders11
    Bodders11 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mexico would be nice but not really bucket list. My friend would like South America but not sure finances extend that far.

Is Cape Town really feasible based on my budget? Would love to do a safari.

Vietnam definitely an option. Need to research this.
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 31 May 2017 at 4:50PM
    Options
    Bodders11 wrote: »
    Vietnam definitely an option. Need to research this.

Several threads on Vietnam and Cambodia on MSE

PompeyPete seems to be the expert :cool:
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mexico would be nice but not really bucket list. My friend would like South America but not sure finances extend that far.

Depends where you go in South America really. Doubt you could afford Rio de Janeiro or Buenos Aires on that budget, but you could go to some of the less popular places. Bolivia has some amazing sights and is still quite cheap (you can get a reasonable hotel in central La Paz for £25/night, and a lot less than that if you consider B&Bs or hostels). Catch is that flights tend to be quite expensive and there are no direct flights from the UK. Colombia is very much an up-and-coming tourist destination but I'm not sure what prices are like.

However, nowhere in South America is as cheap as parts of Asia.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just goes to show it all depends on individual taste.
    Some places put forward on here as fabulous I wouldn't send my worst enemy to.
    I suppose it is just the same for what I suggest.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 June 2017 at 8:19AM
    Options
    blindman wrote: »
    Several threads on Vietnam and Cambodia on MSE

PompeyPete seems to be the expert :cool:

More like an enthusiastic enthusiast, usually on a shoestring budget.:)

With only 3 weeks to play with in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam a lot depends on how much travelling you're happy to do, and are you happy to travel overland between points.....too much travelling can mean too much precious time hanging round airports.

Travelling overland, particularly by train on fairly short journeys up to 5-6 hours or overnight is fun, it takes a bit longer, but you are moving along, seeing some of the countryside, and mixing with local people.

Trying to see more often simply means achieving less, and quickly losing enthusiam.
  • Bodders11
    Bodders11 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks all.

i think i am going to attempt to develop an itinerary for....(drum roll please): Thailand!!

With just over two weeks or so I think i can see Bangkok, Phuket, Phi Phi, Krabi(?) and possibly a national park (Khao Lak?) for an overnight stay.

I'll take a look at the respective forums and for the time-being will park the idea of Vietnam or Mexico.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Options
    I think you're wise sticking to one country for a short visit.

Have a look at an easy side-trip from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi [WWII, Bridge over the River Kwai, Hellfire Pass]. Here's an excellent link giving all the detail for getting there and back...

https://www.seat61.com/Bridge-on-the-River-Kwai.htm

That area is a beautiful part of Thailand, and very easy to do under your own steam by train. A couple or three nights will give you time to soak up the place without hurrying round.

Khao Lak isn't a national Park, it's a 25-30 km beach stretch along the Andaman Coast just north of Phuket. There are a lot of resort hotels along the way, with a couple of close together townships, Bang La On and Bang Niang. Although that area isn't as built up or as touristy as Phuket, it's catching up fast. The National Park in the area [I think] is Khao Sok, which is a bit to the north of Khao Lak. I'm not going to recommend Khao Lak as it's becoming too westernised and relatively expensive, but some people like that.
  • Everynamestaken
    Options
    Macchu picchu and plenty of places in Peru.

I'd love to go back to Argentina. Iguassu falls, Buenos Aires, and then go down to Patagonia.

I appreciate South America is expensive to get to, so Maybe 2/3 week in Vietnam. Start in Saigon and finish in Hanoi or the other way round.

If you choose Thailand, I would do Bangkok, Chiang Mai,Chiang Rai and some of Cambodia. Depends what you like. The South has excellent beaches.

The list is endless.
  • sandsy
    sandsy Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    Options
    Is Cape Town really feasible based on my budget? Would love to do a safari.

It's probably feasible if you're prepared to take connecting flights rather than fly direct. You can get return flights for £500 or so if you're happy to go non-direct. Once you're there, eating out is cheap and there's plenty of good wine and nightlife. There's plenty of Airbnb accommodation and Uber is well used for getting around, or the hopon-hopoff bus.

And if you're prepared to hire a car and drive yourself around a game reserve, then the safari element can also be done quite cheaply, eg. Pilanesberg park or Kruger national park.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sandsy wrote: »
    It's probably feasible if you're prepared to take connecting flights rather than fly direct. You can get return flights for £500 or so if you're happy to go non-direct. Once you're there, eating out is cheap and there's plenty of good wine and nightlife. There's plenty of Airbnb accommodation and Uber is well used for getting around, or the hopon-hopoff bus.

And if you're prepared to hire a car and drive yourself around a game reserve, then the safari element can also be done quite cheaply, eg. Pilanesberg park or Kruger national park.

Pilanesburg and Kruger?

How many thousand miles do you like driving on holiday?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure