The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Old catalogue bill 10 yrs old

Hi i have received a letter from a solicitor acting on behalf of Arrow Global saying i owe £297.19 i remember having a account with additions direct mail order but im sure i paid it off this account was over 10 years ago they say that Arrow has obtained A CCJ out against me and i must pay the amount owed with the letter came a form for me to fill out saying what i earn etc and if fill this out i may have the opportunity for me to discharge my liability through a short settlement payment
please help as this is something i dont need after having lost my partner and mother in the last year

many thanks

Comments

• StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    If they have a CCJ, you'd need to pay £255 for a set-aside with the court and contest the debt as statute barred/invalid.

When was the CCJ obtained? Alas unless if you can 1000% prove you've paid the debt then aside from the set aside, these guys aren't going to care whether you think you've paid or not, harsh at that sounds.

If it's still within 30 days of the CCJ it may be worth taking that settlement, as it means the CCJ wont appear on your credit files and if the debt defaulted over 6 years ago that wont be there either.

I know it's not an ideal situation, especially if the debt isn't valid, but if you can take the hit and get it out of the way, it may be best to take this one on the chin, unless if you can get the £255 fee waived (Which is an option in certain circumstances and there's better people than me who know the system and can explain this!)

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,711
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    The set aside fee is almost as much as the debt itself, the easiest and cheapest way to deal with it would be to make Arrow an offer to make it go away.

However there are some things you can do first, send Arrow the "provit" letter (available from the stickies at the top of this forum) see what they come back with, ideally you need to know when the CCJ was obtained, if it was within the last 6 years, then your best option is what i said at the beginning, if its more than 6 years ago, then they would need to go back to court and obtain permission to carry on enforcing the judgement, which they would be unlikely to get.

The courts usually think 6 years is sufficient time to enforce a judgement debt, so thats what you need to find out first.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • StopIt
    sourcrates wrote: »
    The set aside fee is almost as much as the debt itself, the easiest and cheapest way to deal with it would be to make Arrow an offer to make it go away.

However there are some things you can do first, send Arrow the "provit" letter (available from the stickies at the top of this forum) see what they come back with, ideally you need to know when the CCJ was obtained, if it was within the last 6 years, then your best option is what i said at the beginning, if its more than 6 years ago, then they would need to go back to court and obtain permission to carry on enforcing the judgement, which they would be unlikely to get.

The courts usually think 6 years is sufficient time to enforce a judgement debt, so thats what you need to find out first.

Correct me if I'm wrong but they don't need to prove anything after a CCJ is granted as that supersedes that requirement? A prove-it would have been usable before a CCJ was granted of course and a CCJ is now enforceable so I don't think they'll go back and say "Ah, our bad you don't owe this". I think this would be a very recent CCJ, hence the offer to settle and presumable wipe the CCJ from his records.

Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,711
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    StopIt wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but they don't need to prove anything after a CCJ is granted as that supersedes that requirement? A prove-it would have been usable before a CCJ was granted of course and a CCJ is now enforceable so I don't think they'll go back and say "Ah, our bad you don't owe this". I think this would be a very recent CCJ, hence the offer to settle and presumable wipe the CCJ from his records.

Sorry, didn't make it clear in my last post.

The OP should edit the letter to get the information about the CCJ, when and where it was granted etc.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • StopIt
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Sorry, didn't make it clear in my last post.

The OP should edit the letter to get the information about the CCJ, when and where it was granted etc.

Understood!

I'd have hoped the letters he has received already state when the CCJ was granted, but we all know what these companies are like!

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    Hi Ub40fan

Good advice above. I would add though that you shouldn't take it for granted that a CCJ has been obtained, as so far it seems that all you have is the solicitor's word for it - check your credit report first of all to confirm whether this is the case. Details of how to do so can be found in our credit referencing fact sheet:

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/credit-referencing/credit-reports.aspx

Once that is clear you'll be better placed to know how to proceed.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Ub40fan wrote: »
    Hi i have received a letter from a solicitor acting on behalf of Arrow Global saying i owe £297.19 i remember having a account with additions direct mail order but im sure i paid it off this account was over 10 years ago they say that Arrow has obtained A CCJ out against me and i must pay the amount owed with the letter came a form for me to fill out saying what i earn etc and if fill this out i may have the opportunity for me to discharge my liability through a short settlement payment
    please help as this is something i dont need after having lost my partner and mother in the last year

many thanks

That would be unusual - to get a ccj against someone and then offer to settle at a discount. Particularly at such a small balance.

Something odd here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport