We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

Options

Comments

• Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    Some great info there for selling at the gate........thanks everyone!
    :beer:
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A beautiful day here in North Yorkshire. I've cut the grass out the back but not the front. Didn't want the neighbours seeing me looking stupid doing something like that while my back hurts (which they know about).

I have dug up the last of the winter salad which finally bolted. Already have next lot of salad to eat though. Parsnips and peas all germinating outside. I've planted spinach and started to put the liners in my new raised beds but ran out of tacks.

Just taking a break before cracking on.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Ok, so the carrot pot wasn't the carrot pot. It was a spare beans pot. I guess the other pot must be the carrot pot, then.

And how on earth has the thornless blackberry managed to send a spiky sucker out underneath the entire length of the garden, turn right, weave under the concrete foundations for the patio, do another 90 degree turn and then emerge just where the Idiot Cat puts his bum down for his daily - ahem - constitutional?

And what is the dense carpet of random seedlings under the cherry tree?

Sigh. At least the toxics are still happily located over the other side of the grass.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

And how on earth has the thornless blackberry managed to send a spiky sucker out underneath the entire length of the garden, turn right, weave under the concrete foundations for the patio, do another 90 degree turn and then emerge just where the Idiot Cat puts his bum down for his daily - ahem - constitutional?

Maybe the cat did it:eek:
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    Ok, so the carrot pot wasn't the carrot pot. It was a spare beans pot. I guess the other pot must be the carrot pot, then.

And what is the dense carpet of random seedlings under the cherry tree?

Sigh. At least the toxics are still happily located over the other side of the grass.

It will be the same reason my raspberry bushes are sending up new shoots all over the allotment and not in the straight line I would prefer them to pop up in.

Your post did make me laugh. :rotfl::rotfl:
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JoJo, you may me laugh too.

No gardening here today as I overdid it yesterday and spent the night in agony. I purchased a courgette plant from a fellow grower yesterday as mine haven't germinated.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did not manage to get up for my half hour clearance of the grass and other mysterious things we unearth yesterday but hoping to bob up today.

We have finished pulling as much as we could up from the seating area. I have bought some bedding plants for the back yard which had been neglected since getting the Lottie.

So,done asked if we were going to grow this year or wait till next when grass is cleared. I am determined to have something to show for all the hard work.
    Go get it!
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    tibawo wrote: »
    Did not manage to get up for my half hour clearance of the grass and other mysterious things we unearth yesterday but hoping to bob up today.

We have finished pulling as much as we could up from the seating area. I have bought some bedding plants for the back yard which had been neglected since getting the Lottie.

So,done asked if we were going to grow this year or wait till next when grass is cleared. I am determined to have something to show for all the hard work.

Potatoes are supposed to be one of the best first things to grow as it breaks up the earth in the process.

Courgettes are easy and need little attention once in.

Would be a shame to not grow something in your first season. :D
  • smeeinnit
    smeeinnit Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all

Well I got cracking with planting the spuds, I now have 25 containers of varying sizes all planted up. Today I wanted to get some of all the 5 varieties I am growing sorted, so I now have Rocket, Charlotte, Kestrel, Sarpo Mira and Setanta on the go :j

My indoor started Rocket spuds look fab with about 18 inches of growth on them, hoping that in less than 6 weeks we will be able to have our first crop of the year of new potatoes :)

Over the next few days I plan on sowing some flower seeds, mostly companion plants, and get in the last of the onions.

My second sowing of sweet peppers also seemed to have failed :( not sure if I want to try a third time, will think that one over.

The carrots I sowed outside 2 weeks ago have not made an appearance yet, but after some googling it seems they can take their time so not writing them off yet.

Lettuce, spinach, spring onion seedlings all romping away so its mostly good.

Hope the weather is being kind to you, it was 15 degrees and sunny here most of the day, little wind too, it was lovely :j
    Let's get ready to bumble! :rotfl:
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    Smeeinnit I think I put my carrot seeds in almost three weeks ago and nothing showing yet for me either. I keep watering and hoping.

My sweet peppers are doing ok though and sitting happily in greenhouse at the plot.

Cuttings of clematis still alive and cauli seedlings still looking good so there is hope yet. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure