Family Board Game suggestions

Options

Comments

• 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    We've just bought family fortunes. £5 = Bargain. Not a board game as such but good fun.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • cazziebo
    cazziebo Posts: 3,209 Forumite
    Options
    Cranium is our family favourite - play it every year at Christmas and have done for about 15 years. Because it's a mix of drawing, describing, general knowledge and making things from plasticine then it's fun for all ages. We also like Pictionary. Will be following this thread for new ideas....
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jenga.....you can even turn this into a gambling game, eg last person to successfully remove a piece before it tumbles, gets the dosh.

Card games - 7's or Newmarket always good fun - get the 2ps out for the stake!
  • Jack_Griffin
    Options
    Big thumbs up to Jenga, the physical aspect is lots of fun for kids.

I also recommend Perudo which is a dice game which requires bluffing and memory skills, might be tougher for an 8 year old, who may need a bit of help.

Mancala is also cool, it is a game where stones are moved round a series of holes to capture and block opponents pieces and requires the player to think ahead a bit to work out good moves. There are lots of variants of the game which comes from Africa.

You can buy decent quality versions of both of these games online for under £15.
  • fluffpot
    fluffpot Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Options
    I love Carcassonne - its a tile playing game which can be played on a few different levels so suitable for a range of ages and you can add to it with expansion packs if you want to vary it a bit. It also looks very pretty! And it's not Monopoly!

http://www.boardgameguru.co.uk/carcassonne-includes-river-tiles-40-p.asp
  • anniemf2508
    Options
    we just bought the family edition of trivial pursuit...it has kids and adult questions.

Another thumbs up for Uno aswell, we play that as a family all the time.
  • mrbrightside842
    Options
    We've been playing Creationary since we got it for Christmas, the kids love it. Wouldn't recommend it for very little ones though as you have to make things out of lego without a 'plan' so it can be quite difficult. My 7 year olds have a good go though!
  • lilymay1
    lilymay1 Posts: 1,597 Forumite
    edited 31 December 2012 at 12:55PM
    Options
    Cranium is not intended for children so young. Whilst it is a brilliant game, your kids won't understand 95% of the questions. Maybe there is a children's expansion pack available? I consider myself to be a well rounded, well educated 25 year old and I am far too young for quite a lot of the questions!

Articulate is another brilliant game, but again, not really suitable for kids of that age.

Everybody knows them, but I still think Monopoly and Cluedo are fab. Suitable for adults and children alike.

Your idea of sitting and playing family games sounds wonderful. I grew up with a very dynfunctional family and have no memories of anything like that. I hope in 20 years I'll be having family Christmases with my children :)
    14th October 2010
    20th October 2011
    3rd December 2013
  • cutestkids
    cutestkids Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Monopoly millionaire is very good as it is not a long drawn out game like the original my 7 year old manages with a little help.

A range of games that are very good for kids are the Brainbox games we have the maths one which is very good
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 £579.62/ £579.62New challenge £155.73/£500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!£6609.20 / £7500
  • LastFour
    Options
    I'm a bit late with my suggestion but it might do for next year - we really enjoy Bananagrams, and it's great as it takes up hardly any room when packed away as there is no board, just the banana bag with the bits inside.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure