MPGS - What's it Like??

Options

Comments

• Jud546
    Jud546 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Swore my oath of allegiance at the AFCO this morning, so am now officially a member of 'Dad's Army' and start a week of local induction training at my camp on Monday. A date for initial training at Southwick Park will follow.

Does anybody who's currently in the MPGS know what the fitness requirement/ standard is and is it the Army PFT or dependant on Unit; I.e. A beep test on RAF camps ?

I'll update after I've been in a few weeks and again the very best of luck to all those waiting to hear.
  • jojo_the_joyful
    Options
    Congratulations Jud and welcome to the family :j

Last year Hubby had 12 mins when he was 44 and next time he will have 12:30 as he is now 45. So pretty standard times as per army.

Just asked him. Apparently they have PTI's in the MPGS FIT PENSIONERS :D

Hubby is not big on fitness but apart from sometimes running into work sometimes finds time to go for a run on nights, between gates.

There are no 45Kg Burgons or anything like that.
  • Jud546
    Options
    Congratulations Jud and welcome to the family :j

Last year Hubby had 12 mins when he was 44 and next time he will have 12:30 as he is now 45. So pretty standard times as per army.

Just asked him. Apparently they have PTI's in the MPGS FIT PENSIONERS :D

Hubby is not big on fitness but apart from sometimes running into work sometimes finds time to go for a run on nights, between gates.

There are no 45Kg Burgons or anything like that.

Thanks Jojo,

I'll have to dig my running shoes out-used to the RAF beep test so no idea how long it would take to do a mile and a half, but it's got to be easier than the shuttles. :)
  • porpoise10
    Options
    Hi, don't know if anybody will be able to offer advice but thought I would ask, My hubby is out at Christmas after taking voluntary redundancy , he is getting a £30000 redundancy settlement. He has inquired about doing mpgs after he has left the army and has been told he would not get his settlement or if he joined after a few months he would have to pay back some/all of the money . Does anybody know if this is correct, as he was told this from a guy who works on the gate at the camp hes currently at. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
  • MissKitty
    MissKitty Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    porpoise10 wrote: »
    Hi, don't know if anybody will be able to offer advice but thought I would ask, My hubby is out at Christmas after taking voluntary redundancy , he is getting a £30000 redundancy settlement. He has inquired about doing mpgs after he has left the army and has been told he would not get his settlement or if he joined after a few months he would have to pay back some/all of the money . Does anybody know if this is correct, as he was told this from a guy who works on the gate at the camp hes currently at. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Hi porpoise, I'm not sure exactly what will happen with regards to your hubby's money, I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along and advice you soon.

My hubby and I were having a conversation about this not long ago as I said there must be alot of people applying for the MPGS with all the redundancies going on. My hubby mentioned something about soldiers being made redundant aren't allowed to apply to get into the MPGS till at least 6 months after they have finished in the army. My hubby isn't about at the moment so I'm not 100% sure on all the details. Hopefuly someone else will come along and advice you.

If you get no luck here ask your hubby to go into your local Army Careers Office and they should be able to give you more information.
  • MissKitty
    Options
    UPDATE

Hi everyone, hubby got a phone call today and he has got a job with the MPGS, finally!!

He got his second preference, about 30 mins from our house, but we're happy as it's a permanent job at the end of the day.

He's getting fed up of being messed around doing agency work, not knowing if you have a job from one day to the next and he has had exactly one response to all the job applications he has filled in, pretty rubbish really.

My family member who applied also got an offer a few weeks ago so things are looking up. Hang in there guys and girls your all needed they just need time to get through the applications.

Keep the forum going, would still love to hear how you all do.

xx
  • Jud546
    Options
    Congratulations MissKitty,

Pleased as punch for you and welcome to the ever expanding clan:beer:

What area did he get? Good luck to those of you still waiting.
  • jojo_the_joyful
    Options
    MissKitty wrote: »
    UPDATE

Hi everyone, hubby got a phone call today and he has got a job with the MPGS, finally!!

He got his second preference, about 30 mins from our house, but we're happy as it's a permanent job at the end of the day.

He's getting fed up of being messed around doing agency work, not knowing if you have a job from one day to the next and he has had exactly one response to all the job applications he has filled in, pretty rubbish really.

My family member who applied also got an offer a few weeks ago so things are looking up. Hang in there guys and girls your all needed they just need time to get through the applications.

Keep the forum going, would still love to hear how you all do.

xx

Excellent news. :j

I am so pleased for you both !!!

Welcome to the family :beer:
  • MissKitty
    Options
    Jud546 wrote: »
    Congratulations MissKitty,

Pleased as punch for you and welcome to the ever expanding clan:beer:

What area did he get? Good luck to those of you still waiting.

Thanks, he will be in Suffolk, so we're happy. Hubby's start date is exactly 3 months to the day from his leaving the army date, how strange!!
  • MissKitty
    Options
    Excellent news. :j

I am so pleased for you both !!!

Welcome to the family :beer:

Thanks jojo, before long it will feel like we never left, just had a 3 month holiday!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure