Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    espresso
    How to check your Internet usage (bandwidth)
    • 18th Oct 06, 12:30 PM
    How to check your Internet usage (bandwidth) 18th Oct 06 at 12:30 PM
    Many forum members subscribe to popular ISP packages which impose a monthly usage limit. When this limit is exceeded the user will then be charged, usually at a set rate for each extra GB (or part of) used that month. This limit may be set as low a 2GB which can easily be exceeded on a fast connection or even on dial-up!

You may just be curious to know exactly how much bandwidth you are actually using, so that you can change to a cheaper package, hence saving money.

There are various programs available to monitor your bandwidth but the one that I have used for a long time is NetMeter available to download for free from here. NetMeter will check dial-up as well as broadband usage.

NetMeter is a small, customisable network bandwidth monitoring program for Windows 95/98/98SE/ME/NT4/2000/XP/Vista
    This is an excellent program which works very well and has new been further developed.

EDIT: NetMeter 1.1.14 (beta) is now available - released 27 Sept 10.

NetMeter is a simple but very useful program that is easy to configure to your requirements. Once installed on your PC, right clicking on it's icon in the system tray, will display Options, Totals, About, etc.

In the General options tab, be sure to check the Load on windows startup box and then configure the other options as required:

If you wish to set a Traffic volume alert, to warn when a pre-set figure has been reached, click on the Alerts + Reports Tab to configure your specific requirements:

To check your usage, right click on the system tray icon and select Totals. As well as full daily, weekly, monthly and Total data transferred since last reset figures, there is also a useful Projected Tab which will display projected usage based on your current usage:

All NetMeter data can be exported, for use in other applications in .csv format if required.

Last edited by espresso; 29-01-2011 at 2:26 PM.
Page 9
    • charlieheard
    • By charlieheard 11th Sep 12, 8:17 AM
    • 518 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    charlieheard
    I have installed Networx on my laptop so I can monitor what is being used. There was been only small usage until yesterday when I used 8Gb in an hour. The laptop was on Ebay where I was watching an item I had bid on - would this use that much data?
    Originally posted by svm
    It sounds extremely unlikely that it would use that much - I don't think my broadband could deliver that in a day!

Do you use WiFi and does someone else have a computer on the same broadband connection? If so, it would be more likely that Networx is measuring the passage of data between these computers. Have you selected the option to ignore local traffic in the settings?

With more modern routers, you can set the Networx settings only to monitor the router than the computer alone. Alternatively you can install Networx on every PC and tell it to aggregate the readings from every computer - just make sure that it is set to ignore local traffic...

Hope this helps.
    Jumbo

"You may have speed, but I have momentum"
  • svm
    I think I have found out what is was. I installed Norton 360, new antivirus software that comes with automatic backup so it was trying to backup the whole hard drive to an online site. I have chnaged that from automatic backup to maunal and will see if it happens again.
    Thanks for the help
    • Radnorsaver
    • By Radnorsaver 21st Sep 12, 11:10 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Radnorsaver
    There is a nice usage meter on the Thinkbroadband site - look in Tools for tbbMeter.
  • kevin14433
    Excellent!!!! I am just thinking that their is a lot of ways to save our money. I'll download the NetMeter and also I want to know that how can I increase my Internet speed as I am using 256kbps.
    Thanks a lot Money Saver for the wonderful article.
  • Gray-Fox
    Just clicked to download this and it says:

"High Risk Website Blocked"
    • theloft
    • By theloft 13th Jan 13, 10:44 AM
    • 1,690 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    theloft
    Just clicked to download this and it says:"High Risk Website Blocked"
    Originally posted by Gray-Fox
    I have just downloaded this tbbmeter and scanned it with 2 anti-malware systems , also Avast! all reported no problems whatsoever. It's a bit finicky and you have to fiddle about and reject lots of requests, but apart from that it seems fine. Anyone else had problems ?
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • closed
    Most routers collect this sort of information, no need for installing software to monitor it and you and slow your machine down in the process.

The Software will communicate with our servers, those of our technology partners and third parties as necessary to fulfil its functions, including transmitting performance metrics, details of usage levels by type and debugging information to assist us in analysing this data. It will also transmit any registration information you provide along with a unique identifier.
    For transparency, we would like to disclose to you a non-exhaustive list of data the Software sends to our server:
    •Network configuration settings (IP addresses, PPP servers, DNS servers, etc.)
    •Operating System and version
    •CPU type, total physical memory
    •Unique installation identifiers
    •Information you provide to us on a registration form
    •Performance metrics of your broadband connection by time period
    We may transmit and process your data outside of the European Economic Area,
    !! ------> . !!!! ----> .
  • lucyrai1
    Nice post dear.....
    • charlieheard
    • By charlieheard 15th Jan 13, 9:35 AM
    • 518 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    charlieheard
    Most routers collect this sort of information, no need for installing software to monitor it and you and slow your machine down in the process.
    Originally posted by closed
    Please show me how to do this - I've tried for several years and not had any success. We've 3 PCs using Networx, so that I can check their usage. But we've now got 4 phones and 3 tablets accessing the router directly as well, and I'm worried that I'm not tracking my usage accurately enough...
    Jumbo

"You may have speed, but I have momentum"
  • Billyboston
    Tremendous excellent post.
    • LouiseTopp
    • By LouiseTopp 20th Mar 13, 5:09 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    LouiseTopp
    Hi is this the link to the newest version of Netmetre please?

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Bandwidth-Tools/NetMeter.shtml
    • spud17
    • By spud17 20th Mar 13, 9:19 PM
    • 4,278 Posts
    • 1,959 Thanks
    spud17
    Hi is this the link to the newest version of Netmetre please?

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Bandwidth-Tools/NetMeter.shtml
    Originally posted by LouiseTopp
    Probably, , but it's getting on a bit. As in outdated, I found it to be getting unreliable.
    I'd say a better choice is NetWorx.
    Move along, nothing to see.
    • LouiseTopp
    • By LouiseTopp 22nd Mar 13, 6:23 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    LouiseTopp
    Does this work just as well please?
  • FindFree4Me
    Something for mac? Thanks
  • andreww22
    brilliant
    i was wondering how to do this,,,thanks for this post
  • daisyroger
    Thanks a lot for let us know how to check the internet usage. This is really a very wonderful and useful info.
  • networkguy
    post by closed > "Most routers collect this sort of information"

Please show me how to do this - I've tried for several years and not had any success.
    Originally posted by charlieheard
    How to get the traffic details from your router will depend on which router (and probably which ISP) you use. I mention the ISP because some may have "locked down" or tailored the software to meet their needs, and the "default" login details (often found via the web) may no longer work.

Also, while a router does pick up the information, it may not show the whole story, because a power cut, for example, (or just a 'glitch' that you don't notice) could reset the count. My router from Plus.Net shows:

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 12.26 / 69.16

that was for the last 4 days.

(I'm a heavy user, sometimes 12-20 GB in a day, depending on what I am doing, and maybe 150 to 300 GB a month)
  • networkguy
    Perhaps a fresher 'sticky' ?
    I think another 'sticky', on the subject of 'unlimited internet' should be considered, since just a few pounds more could mean you have no headaches about how much you use... With some of the deals on, you could consider a switch to fibre (and get much faster speeds), and not be spending a lot more than for what we have at present.

Some (great) ISPs like Zen charge plenty more for "up to 16 Mbps" (30+ pounds for 200 GB/month of downloads). NB Zen does not count uploaded data, so would be great for a radio station, or webcam, even on their cheapest packages)

A number of ISPs offer unlimited broadband, from around 10 pounds a month (less perhaps with some budget offers) but have small print (in an AUP - Acceptable Usage Policy document) which says either a precise limit (eg 100 GB a month) or does not specify.

For example, Tesco Broadband is described as unlimited but if you ask them (eg via chat on the web site) they will confirm they have a fair use policy which is 100 GB and if you keep going over, they'd be asking you to move to some other ISP (their T+C document suggests they can charge per GB, but does not specify any actual sums, and they said they would close an account, not charge extra).

Primus is offering an "up to 38 Mbps" fibre service with unlimited data (I am with Plus.Net at present, but they offer only 40 GB on their "up to 38 Mbps" fibre account). Why did I look at this speed, compared with the "up to 76 Mbps" accounts? Simple - the speed estimate for my line is up to about 35 Mbps, so no point spending more for the 'higher speed' account if it will make no difference (the cabinet with fibre is some distance away from my home, and serves 4 blocks of flats as well as my road... next road can get Virgin Media but mine is not served!)
    • Rob Wills
    • By Rob Wills 19th Mar 14, 9:54 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Rob Wills
    BT Broadband Usage Meter
    BT Broadband have a problem with their meter measuring usage, In February on their website they admitted their usage measurements were wrong.

As BT cannot be trusted to measure usage correctly their excess charges, if any, are invalid.

Using - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ - gives a lower usage than BT.

In February BT had a special offer -
    Pay for 12 months in advance with a one-off non-refundable payment of 141 and save 50.88 in one year, telephone line rental is then equivalent to 11.75 a month. Broadband cost was 5 / month AND there was a benefit of a Sainsbury's voucher for 25. - this deal is a scam as BT also take the standard costs by direct debit and refuse to refund the overcharge. The voucher is still to arrive.
    Rob
    • littleboo
    • By littleboo 19th Mar 14, 10:57 AM
    • 698 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    littleboo
    How are Thinkbroadband monitoring your usage ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

730Posts Today

6,223Users online

Martin's Twitter