Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    espresso
    How to check your Internet usage (bandwidth)
    • 18th Oct 06, 12:30 PM
    How to check your Internet usage (bandwidth) 18th Oct 06 at 12:30 PM
    Many forum members subscribe to popular ISP packages which impose a monthly usage limit. When this limit is exceeded the user will then be charged, usually at a set rate for each extra GB (or part of) used that month. This limit may be set as low a 2GB which can easily be exceeded on a fast connection or even on dial-up!

You may just be curious to know exactly how much bandwidth you are actually using, so that you can change to a cheaper package, hence saving money.

There are various programs available to monitor your bandwidth but the one that I have used for a long time is NetMeter available to download for free from here. NetMeter will check dial-up as well as broadband usage.

NetMeter is a small, customisable network bandwidth monitoring program for Windows 95/98/98SE/ME/NT4/2000/XP/Vista
    This is an excellent program which works very well and has new been further developed.

EDIT: NetMeter 1.1.14 (beta) is now available - released 27 Sept 10.

NetMeter is a simple but very useful program that is easy to configure to your requirements. Once installed on your PC, right clicking on it's icon in the system tray, will display Options, Totals, About, etc.

In the General options tab, be sure to check the Load on windows startup box and then configure the other options as required:

If you wish to set a Traffic volume alert, to warn when a pre-set figure has been reached, click on the Alerts + Reports Tab to configure your specific requirements:

To check your usage, right click on the system tray icon and select Totals. As well as full daily, weekly, monthly and Total data transferred since last reset figures, there is also a useful Projected Tab which will display projected usage based on your current usage:

All NetMeter data can be exported, for use in other applications in .csv format if required.

Last edited by espresso; 29-01-2011 at 2:26 PM.
Page 8
  • nickj
    http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html

this is a link for a web usage monitor download , you can set it to give you a reminder if you are getting near to your limit , and it's free btw
    • JohnH_BETF
    • By JohnH_BETF 30th Jan 12, 8:47 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JohnH_BETF
    Read the Privacy Policy/Software Licence of these Broadband meters very carefully. Most of them, tbbmeter included, send information about your broadband usage back to the software providers servers.

The information sent back is supposed to be anonymous but.... it depends on how much you trust them!
    Last edited by JohnH_BETF; 30-01-2012 at 9:02 PM.
  • alterego
    I switched to Networx, which collates all PCs usage very simply, is able to ignore WiFi usage between PCs and has an easy option to set unmetered usage. I wouldn't go back to Netmeter.
    Originally posted by charlieheard
    Thanks for the tip. Networx works and can monitor your router (if it's reasonably up-to-date) which allows you to view all your traffic, including Wi-Fi devices like laptops, tablets and gaming consoles.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 28th Feb 12, 10:11 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    I recently installed a bandwidth meter that I downloaded at the following site

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html

I've had it on my desktop pc for several days and it seems very good.
    Originally posted by andrew164
    It took me ages to find this! I went onto mybt and went through gawd knows how many pages trying to find out what my usage was and couldn't find a page that would tell me - not even in "manage your broadband" blah blah blah...

LOTS of blah blah blah...

Finished up on live chat (which my Firefox really didn't like so I had to use Internet Exploder <spit>) and after "chatting" to two different people was called by a supervisor who ALSO couldn't tell me how to find my usage - so I got passed on to yet another section.

It took another ten minutes before she finally pointed me to thinkbroadband and the download for their monitor programme.

According to my brand new monitor I had used 0KB in the past month. Really? So I'm now waiting for yet another call back from BT.

Just checked it again and there's clearly a delay before it picks up the data because I now have an honest to goodness reading for my usage. I was going to try and cancel the call back until I realised that the monitor was showing one full gigabyte LESS usage than their billing people told me about. So I'll wait for the call and try and find out why there's a discrepancy. Nope! It's actually showing me KB's since starting today and not gigs in the billing period. So it's not picking up data from BT... which is what I actually want to know. They've told me directly - I've used 6.2GB but nowhere can I source THAT information for myself. I must be missing something somewhere, but then, so must their customer help people because nobody has been able to tell me where *I* find that same info.

<sigh> It shouldn't be this hard. That's over an hour now to do something that should take less than five minutes.
    Last edited by squeaky; 28-02-2012 at 10:18 AM.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • charlieheard
    • By charlieheard 28th Feb 12, 7:53 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    charlieheard
    Thanks for the tip. Networx works and can monitor your router (if it's reasonably up-to-date) which allows you to view all your traffic, including Wi-Fi devices like laptops, tablets and gaming consoles.
    Originally posted by alterego
    Router monitoring a fairly recent addition, but my Netgear DG834G router can't use it. It means that our PCs are the only things monitored and all the smartphones, etc are ignored Mind you, I guess they shouldn't be huge users.

That reminds me - I must find out what it needs and see if a firmware update on the router might fix it...
    Jumbo

"You may have speed, but I have momentum"
  • closed
    Router monitoring a fairly recent addition, but my Netgear DG834G router can't use it. It means that our PCs are the only things monitored and all the smartphones, etc are ignored...
    Originally posted by charlieheard

http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm
    Last edited by closed; 28-02-2012 at 8:05 PM.
    !! ------> . !!!! ----> .
    • charlieheard
    • By charlieheard 29th Feb 12, 8:47 AM
    • 518 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    charlieheard
    I meant router monitoring was fairly recent to Networx.

I spent many hours working with RouterStats, but couldn't make head nor tail of the info that came out. Very worthy software as it primarily monitors the "health" of your broadband, but I couldn't get it to give me the info I wanted...
    Jumbo

• closed
    The download/upload info is found on the telnet screen, just tell it the ip address, and password, and click the "play" button
    !! ------> . !!!! ----> .
    • LiteFoot
    • By LiteFoot 14th Mar 12, 10:41 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LiteFoot
    BT Broadband charging con
    It took me ages to find this! I went onto mybt and went through gawd knows how many pages trying to find out what my usage was and couldn't find a page that would tell me - not even in "manage your broadband" blah blah blah...

LOTS of blah blah blah...

Finished up on live chat (which my Firefox really didn't like so I had to use Internet Exploder <spit>) and after "chatting" to two different people was called by a supervisor who ALSO couldn't tell me how to find my usage - so I got passed on to yet another section.

It took another ten minutes before she finally pointed me to thinkbroadband and the download for their monitor programme.

According to my brand new monitor I had used 0KB in the past month. Really? So I'm now waiting for yet another call back from BT.

Just checked it again and there's clearly a delay before it picks up the data because I now have an honest to goodness reading for my usage. I was going to try and cancel the call back until I realised that the monitor was showing one full gigabyte LESS usage than their billing people told me about. So I'll wait for the call and try and find out why there's a discrepancy. Nope! It's actually showing me KB's since starting today and not gigs in the billing period. So it's not picking up data from BT... which is what I actually want to know. They've told me directly - I've used 6.2GB but nowhere can I source THAT information for myself. I must be missing something somewhere, but then, so must their customer help people because nobody has been able to tell me where *I* find that same info.

<sigh> It shouldn't be this hard. That's over an hour now to do something that should take less than five minutes.
    Originally posted by squeaky
    I too had a similar experience . No one at BT could tell me how to get monthly historic figures to justify a claim (and a bill!) for overreaching my limt (10) Apparently they can only review the last 7 days and then it is deleted from their system. They then advise the overrun 10 days after the end of the period. Personally I have better things to do but continuously check my usage and it seems fundamentally wrong to be charged for something that they are unable to support with data.
  • marykabrown
    Can we use this net meter windows 7??????
    Last edited by marykabrown; 02-04-2012 at 11:55 AM.
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 2nd Apr 12, 12:24 PM
    • 51,954 Posts
    • 22,041 Thanks
    grumbler
    ^^ ^^
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • stardak
    Thanks for this.
    • Catbells
    • By Catbells 16th May 12, 11:17 AM
    • 762 Posts
    • 1,161 Thanks
    Catbells
    I am just familiarising myself with the various monitoring systems available and this will take me a while (not being a techno person) but would like have know a rule of thumb idea on what my consumption is as a private individual using the internet on what I would call an ordinary every day basis - emails, banking, moderate downloads (1 a day) and online bridge/wordgames.
  • katewills
    thank you!
  • davidwarner01
    most of the time, everything is measured in bytes, so remember to divide by 1024 for KB, 1024 again for MB, and 1024 a third time for GB

hope this helps
    Originally posted by mrJ
    ahh thanks for clarifying that for me
    • charlieheard
    • By charlieheard 18th Jun 12, 10:53 AM
    • 518 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    charlieheard
    most of the time, everything is measured in bytes, so remember to divide by 1024 for KB, 1024 again for MB, and 1024 a third time for GB

hope this helps
    Originally posted by mrJ
    Just to confuse things, connection speed is sometimes measured in bits, where 8 bits make 1 byte. Make sure you check if it's saying bits or bytes, as it could be out by a factor of 8
    Jumbo

• dbs
    • By dbs 22nd Jun 12, 6:13 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    dbs
    Hi
    I am on Virgin Media and would like to know how much broadband usage per month I use because I am thinking of changing BB provider can I do this through VM or would I have to download some software.

If I have to download software it would have to be easy to use and I would have to work out the usage of three laptops and xbox in my family.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks
    • gildius
    • By gildius 27th Jun 12, 10:06 AM
    • 293 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    gildius
    This is great, thanks!

Will it measure just my usage? I'm in a shared house so it would be good to know the total usage.
    • Somniac
    • By Somniac 1st Aug 12, 10:50 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Somniac
    If you are a BT customer, you can access a daily use meter on the website.
  • svm
    I have installed Networx on my laptop so I can monitor what is being used. There was been only small usage until yesterday when I used 8Gb in an hour. The laptop was on Ebay where I was watching an item I had bid on - would this use that much data?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,367Posts Today

8,475Users online

Martin's Twitter