Afprb 2009

Comments

• As I've just pointed out, I'm NOT anti-Armed Forces - perhaps if you checked out what I've written here and on other threads in this forum you'll see that. In fact, you won't find anyone more in support of the Armed Forces.

All I'm saying is there needs to be a degree of realism in the current financial/economic climate.

Please do show me where I'm "having a go at people in the Armed Forces".
    Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement
  • One word....

MUPPET

This is your free speech argument?
    Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement
  • tartanterra
    tartanterra Posts: 819 Forumite
    This is your free speech argument?
    Well done! Got it in one!

You obviously have a degree in the obvious!
    Nothing is foolproof, as fools are so ingenious! :D
  • Apples2
    Apples2 Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    I can't see any Anti-Service comments on here.

Some people need to stop being so sensitive.

It's a perfectly fair comment about sensible pay awards, Servicemen and women ARE still a part of the Nations workers too.

We are ALL in this financial mess, the whole lot of us, no matter what our profession.

Pay is rarely a driving factor in retention. People don't leave simply because they don't earn enough wonga.
    People leave because of the conditions of service.
  • tartanterra
    tartanterra Posts: 819 Forumite
    As I've just pointed out, I'm NOT anti-Armed Forces - perhaps if you checked out what I've written here and on other threads in this forum you'll see that. In fact, you won't find anyone more in support of the Armed Forces.

All I'm saying is there needs to be a degree of realism in the current financial/economic climate.

Please do show me where I'm "having a go at people in the Armed Forces".
    Your answer to DLRIMMERS.

The fact that you can quote their post, then spout the tripe you did, only deserves sympathy - hence I've even thanked you out of sympathy! Luckily, you live in a country where we will fight for your right to spout tripe. But that also means we can use that freedom to call you a muppet.

And I did call you a muppet - because you are one.:D

DLRIMMERS is rightly worried that if the government does not give him a rise, yet the catering contractors (contracted by the government) raise their prices, then he will be worse off. That is (in my opinion, - but obviously not yours) is morally wrong when the Armed forces are fighting wars (as directed by the government), on more than one front.

You think you are the person who supports the Armed Forces the most?

Don't make me laugh!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Nothing is foolproof, as fools are so ingenious! :D
  • ktuludays
    ktuludays Posts: 368 Forumite
    you state that the armed forces are paid from public funds. this is true but do members of the armed forces not pay into this pot too?

we don't get tax free pay with no national insurance contributions.
    You got to get through what you've got to go through to get what you want but you got to know what you want to get through what you got to go through.
  • Does anyone know of any news on this as we get the payrise/nothing next week?
    :oCurrent Debt £38,000:o

• Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The rumour I've heard is that they are going to do the same as they did with the MoD Civil Servants last year and give an assumed rise of 2.8% (ie last years deal) and then adjust it when the official number is agreed.
  • All I'm saying is there needs to be a degree of realism in the current financial/economic climate.

Ongoing op tours in Iraq and Afghanistan in which significant numbers are being killed, covering for the firemen when they go on strike, providing support for people when they are facing flood, providing 24/7 search and rescue facilities around the UK, having to uproot family every few years to stay on the job, I would argue it doesn't get much more realistic than that.

Don't get me wrong, I have proudly served in the Armed Forces for the last decade and will continue to do so, but I think you need to readjust your idea of what realism actually is.

City fatcats have got way too greedy, the government has bailed them out with our money (and yes we do pay tax too while we're doing all of the above btw) and we're expected to meekly accept anything we're given because its for 'the good of the county'! Get real.

It really grips me when people envoke this 'we must all pull together and make sacrafices spirit ' when it suits them - where were they when we were doing just that time and time again? People risked their lives and livelihood to provide cover during the fireman's strike just so people had an emergency service, knowing that they would then have to go straight back to the front line. What did the public do? throw rocks at our armed forces when they were battling fires, belittle us in the press, moan about our equipment and so on.

So don't bandy words about realism around without looking at the big picture.
  • Apples2
    Apples2 Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    It's the servicemen on this thread who are coming across as unrealistic.

What is your proposal?? We pay all Junior ranks (the bulk of those fighting) £50K a year??

So what do we pay the Senior Ranks? their pay has to be higher than the Juniors. Where is the money going to come from?

There isn't a Nation on Earth who pays it's armed forces enough to justify the sacrifice, but that's how it is unfortunately.

The majority of the Nation have the upmost respect for the tours in Operational Theatre's....... but we aint gonna make you millionnaires because of it.

Pay in the Forces is not an issue, of course everyone wants more, it would be great, but it isn't realistic.

People leave because they spend too much time away from home, conditions of service, poor support networks etc... Pay is seldom a reason to leave.

The Governemnt could award a 0% pay award but there would be no huge uprising. Of course there would be complaining but it wouldnt spell the end of our forces.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure