PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas cards...the lack thereof

14567810»

Comments

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    fannyadams wrote: »
    Best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most joyous traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, but with respect for the religious persuasion of others who choose to practice their own religion as well as those who choose not to practice a religion at all;

Additionally,

a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the generally accepted calendar year 2015, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions have helped make our society great, without regard to the race, creed, color, religious, or sexual preferences of the wishes.

(Disclaimer: This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her/himself or others and no responsibility for any unintended emotional stress these greetings may bring to those not caught up in the holiday spirit.)

I love it! :xmassign: or merry anything else come to that!! or just be merry if that's your thing
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggyduvets,26 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=160 £86 spent!!!
  • Earlier I was making a list of the people I will send cards too, it was a very short list.:D I don't talk to most of my family.

I send a card to a childhood friend that I haven't seen in years but stay in touch that way with the occasional email or text. One card for my brother, one for the GP surgery and one for my vet!:D

My husband got the written card I did last year and put it away in a cupboard and forgot to give him.:rotfl:

I don't even bother with cards for my in-laws. My husband only sees them on Boxing Day over Christmas and so they (pointlessly) drop off cards for us on Christmas day and I put them straight into the recycling bin. My husband had told them not to bother but they don't listen!

I've had quite a few cards this year but they have been from charities I donate to throughout the year. They go straight into the recycling bin again.

I don't think my husband even sends one Christmas card!:p I told him not to bother getting me one this year.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Well i still send cards, and always will. I'm only in my 30s but I believe in traditions and hate laziness.

I refuse to post as much as a Happy Christmas on Facebook, and I refuse to send it in a text. I dont have nor ever ask for email addresses as I prefer to speak on the telephone or face to face.

Every year as a family we make a point of sitting down and writing Christmas cards for people in our local care home and hand deliver them. The residents and workers love seeing all the children in our family and always say it brightens up the evening, the workers say how the residents live showing off their Christmas cards and display them in their rooms. Some of these residents dont have family, or don't see them often. We also give them all some biscuits, tea/coffee, sweets etc.
    We also wrote cards for our local priests and nuns, along with a few gifts fo them.

The way we look at it, if we can spend hundreds of pounds on ourselves and waste money on eating out/buying sandwiches/coffees etc, cigarettes etc on ourselves everyday, the we can surely afford to spend that 60p on a stamp to let someone know we are thinking of them.

I dont believe in donating to charities at Christmas etc. And I hate that pathetic excuse of I'm not sending cards this year, I'm donating to charity instead. That to me is laziness and cheap. How do I know for sure you've donated to charity?

I don't get why you think people are obligated to spend money on a piece of decorated card and postage in order to show you that they care. How is that more thoughtful than calling you and having a meaningful conversation? Or visiting you? Or having a day/evening out with you?

Charity begins at home, and if sending a Christmas card to someone who is feeling low, lonely, worried, scared etc is too much for people to do then IMO they need to have a word with themselves.

A Christmas card isn't going to help very much. But a meaningful telephone conversation, or a visit, definitely would!

For all we know one of those Christmas cards could help save someone's life. They could be really depressed that day, really upset over something and thinking why should they be here anymore?
    Maybe all they get is bills or hospital appointments through their letterbox, so a Christmas card could cheer them up and take their mind of things for a minute or 2. Seeing the card on their mantelpiece may bring a smile to their face when they're feeling down.
    The thought that you have taken the time to sit down and write them a card, write their address on that envelope and spend 60p on a stamp means a hell of a lot more to someone than an generic email, a silly text or words that most times mean nothing.

Not to me it doesn't. And we can see from the many responses here, that it doesn't for a lot of other people also. I'd far rather regular contact via text, email, WhatsApp etc.

If you value cards highly, and know that the people you send them to do also, then great. That's amazing. But there really is no need to judge others as 'pathetic', 'cheap' or 'lazy' because they view things differently from you.
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,829 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I had a mini meltdown at lunch today because an elderly woman asked me why I couldn’t move off the machine rather than stand there sticking stamps on my cards. The shop was really busy and the stupid machine had issued the wrong stamps that I’d applied for so I asked her what made her think she was different to me in that I had already queued to use the machine and was still using it.

Avowed not to go out a lunchtime again before Christmas. At least they are all posted now and I only have the neighbors to deliver to and family members/friends we will see beforehand.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Well just made my donations to an animal sanctuary & the SA as well as my x 8 shoeboxes so feel my money was far better spent than on bits of card and oh so expensive postage.

Season's Greetings to all
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggyduvets,26 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=160 £86 spent!!!
  • we live on a private estate with 29 neighbours so we get one from each and they get one from us, also send about 12 to family and another 12 to friends, what we do immediately after christmas is go in the charity shops and they half price all their cards usually £1.50 for 10 good quality cards so 6 packs cost £9, and the charity still makes money (trust me I know how much they cost to produce).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure