Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • loopylobbo
    • By loopylobbo 16th Nov 19, 9:45 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    loopylobbo
    Pension pot access at 55
    • 16th Nov 19, 9:45 PM
    Pension pot access at 55 16th Nov 19 at 9:45 PM
    I am 56 years old and need some money to pay some debts. I would like to take a pot of 25% from my personal pension which is about 15k but I'm worried about whether I would then need to pay back the Tax relief which the government has already given me.
    I don't have any other real income at the moment as my small self employed business is really struggling.
    I have normally put into my personal pension was 240 a month which the government topped up to 300 with tax relief.
    My question is if I take out 25% about 15k from my pension in a lump sum, will I need to pay the government back the tax relief or will that still be mine to do as I please?
    Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 17th Nov 19, 9:47 PM
    • 5,636 Posts
    • 2,991 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 17th Nov 19, 9:47 PM
    • 17th Nov 19, 9:47 PM
    In the circumstances you describe you wouldn't have to pay back any tax relief.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,068Posts Today

6,742Users online

Martin's Twitter